Maturing, not Cycling a Tank

clippergear

Hi, I'm in the process of cycling a new tank and would like to mature it before adding shrimp. So, after it completely cycles, I'd like for the tank to just sit and run for a month or so for it to become established before adding the first shrimp. Do I need to keep adding ammonia during that month after the tank cycles?

Thanks......Clippergear

• Like 1

I imagine you do need something to keep the good bacteria alive and I believe it is normal practice to add a TINY bit of fish food every few days!

I tend to add assassin snails to all my new tanks fairly early on so they will produce some waste and eat any small bits of food I add. Obviously you can use any other type of snail as well, though ones that can breed in the tank may end up being another problem down the line?

Simon 

• Like 2

I personally choose to put small fish/fry in tanks that have cycled, while I let them mature. You can do snails too, I just enjoy doing it with fish and fry. As the tank is already cycled, it's just helping to keep the cycle. Otherwise fish food works too. Just need a teeny bit of nitrogen (Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia) is needed to hold the cycle. 

-Crabby

• Like 2

Thanks Simon and Crabby for the valuable info!!

• Like 1