new shrimp delayed in mail

arcticwolf

May 2, 2020

delayed

In Transit, Arriving Late

I ordered 30 high quality yellow neos from a top breeder in the US ... LRBretz aquatics ... i got other shrimp from in the past ...he has won awards for his shrimp For the 35gal 20x20x20 cube using black diamond med sand, that has been running full of plants for nearly 2 months to cycle and get good biofilm buildup.

called local post office they say truck will likely not be here till 5-30 to 6pm ... no one will be there but driver to swap out package buggies .... truck drivers not allowed to handle packages for me to claim at the dock!!!!!

They should have been delivered today

Over hundred bucks worth of my shrimp will be stuck in post office till monday ... has any one ever had this happen and had shrimp and snails survive 5 days in mail.

All i can do is pray ...... several hrs temp acclimation to the room temps before several hrs slow drip acclimate with a few drops of shrimp prep to eliminate any ammonia buildup, as i normally would.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arcticwolf said:

All i can do is pray ...... several hrs temp acclimation to the room temps before several hrs slow drip acclimate with a few drops of shrimp prep to eliminate any ammonia buildup, as i normally would.

I haven't had my shrimp deliveries get delayed personally but as the Mod here for many years, I have read every post here. So I've read many stories of late deliveries. And yes, there has been many times where shrimp have been delayed in the post. You'd understand if you lived in Australia, cause Austpost.

7 days or longer is possible for shrimps, BUT!

The BUT is dependent on temperature. If temps are high, like in above 28degC, shrimps are less likely to survive being trapped in the shipping bag for a week.

Also, I quoted your comment above because, that is not the best way to handle shrimp (or fish) that have been in shipment for a long time. The "slowly, slowly" method of drip acclimation to match your tank water needs to be avoided this one time. The water these new shrimp will arrive in will be full of ammonia. Every minute counts. We need to get them out fast!

Do this instead.

test the water they came in for pH, GH, KH, TDS and temps.

Match the new water exactly to these parameters.

Net the shrimp into the new water (matched to the water the came in) directly as soon as possible.

The point here is to get them out of ammonia rich water as quickly as possible.

Then, you can start looking at acclimation to your main tank parameters.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

so you think the ammonia remover is NOT the best solution ok .. will do it your way

for unknown reasons they were in the processing center on thursday sent to my local 930am thurs, normally packages delivered between 3-4pm next day ....  this time i got a delay notice arrive by sat ... still showing that ... right now at 8:40pm

thinking crono deliveries slammed the post system or they got lost and not refound them yet

sent a notice to the shipper to see what he suggests i do when i receive them,,he been doing this many years likely had this happen, no word back from him yet.

really scary to have happen

luckly temps have been around 10-20 lows and highs around 23 so got a chance some will pull thru

Edited by arcticwolf
  • Like 1

just got a text from the shipper, says he has had them delayed for up to 7 days and all were fine in breather bags and insulated boxes even in higher heat ... even had one for 7 days arrived looking like it was half crushed and kicked to the door step.. they packaged good and all the shrimp survived not a loss

• Like 1

That’s good to hear! I’ve had shrimp missing in the mail for two weeks and then turn up alive and well.

However, I’ve had a bad string of shrimp dying in the mail lately, approximately half of all my shipments. I’ll make a separate post, but I’d love some pointers on shipping technique that avoid shrimp deaths.

• Like 1

Well they all alive and i think i counted 35 .... now in the the tank settling in 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good news. Glad they all survived.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

well hard to say for certain but i think i lost about 10 total, had two molts in the shipping bag ... bag water had a tds of 85, in the one bag. these are neos. The other bag was a nice 225tds.

Update i have been seeing more and more berried girls. Tonight at feeding i counted 7 girls happily flapping tails full of eggs.

Hard to be patient waiting weeks for babies, seems like the first berried girl was about 2 weeks ago. Soon be a shrimp explosion.

• Like 2

I usually expect to lose 10-20% in the first month from delivery/acclimating etc and we get next day delivery here in UK, so I would have expected  a few more with the delay you had in delivery.

Fabulous that you have some happy mumma's and can soon make up for those losses! Expect a week of not seeing the new born shrimp though as they will be tiny, hiding and clear to start with. 

Simon 

• Like 1

Just counted 6 newborns!!!

About 6 inches from the feeding dish, i was trying to count berried girls and just watching them go to town on some pieces of rephashy. Then accidentally seen a tiny clear spec move against the black diamond sand.

• Like 2

Good news. There will be more you can't see hiding somewhere.

Glad it worked out fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

SHRIMP EXPLOSION!!!!!

Seems daily i seeing teeny newborns along with the slightly older shrimplets everywhere, almost daily it seems the males are going crazy flying around the tank. Counted five berried last night at feeding and what seems like many dozens of shrimplets in a dozen sizes.

Good thing this is a 28gal ... the 28bow fire red, has also exploded in the last month or two seems like a few hundred more have been added in the last month alone. The blue bolt and mishlings, still growing but no babies or berries i have seen yet. Not certain just how big they have to get before they start breeding, lot bigger then neos it seems then i realized.

• Like 1

Great news to here your populations are exploding, a sure sign that all is well with the environment etc. neocaridina shrimp reach sexual maturity quicker then caridina (I think 6 months(ish)) and have slightly bigger batches of eggs/babies I believe. The caridina may slow/stop breeding in winter, though that isn't anything that affects you now as it is your summer!

Simon

2 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

The caridina may slow/stop breeding in winter, though that isn't anything that affects you now as it is your summer!

Now that you mention it, i wonder if there are changes to well water in winter we can't detect. My fire reds also slow down considerably in winter. I use wood heat, and furnace for back up set at around 73f(22.7c) to keep the temp from getting to low during the day while i at work and not keeping the fire stocked. The house normaly stays around 74-76f 23-24c with ocasional degree or 2 higher if the stove over heats a bit.

Summer i have ac set at 75f 23.5c temp fluctuates the same 23-24 thru the day as it cycles

tanks normally average that same variable when i check the temp yellow neo tank beside the desk currently showing 23.5 yet in winter i have occasionally seen 25 in the other tanks that are in the living room nearer the wood heater. So in my house the tanks are more stable temp in summer and a bit higher in winter.

Be interesting to see what happens this winter with my mishling/bluebolt tank.

• Like 1