acclimating shrimp to co2

xrayguy

hi gang,

i recently received some neos, ( some given ,some purchased). My tank has been running about 2 months, but my filter and gravel was from previous tank so I didn't really have a cycle in this tank.  I normally run co2, but turned it off as i was re-introducing shrimp and a cpo into this tank.  I know i have to start the co2 off slowly, but how slowly?  Can I bump it up a bubble a day?  

I honestly can't remember if i had a full 1 point drop in pH before I lost all my shrimp.  I lost my shrimp by overdosing excel, not by co2 from the pressurized co2 for plants. Lessoned learned on that front, prevent the bba in the first place.  My degassed tank runs at 7.1.  

Any idea on how long it should take me to transition my shrimp from 7.1 to say 6.4?  

thanx

richard

• Like 1

The pH swing from a CO2 system is not going to be good for shrimps.

Stable water parameters are very important for shrimp.

But if you need to run CO2, give it as little as you can get away with so you minimise the pH swing.

• Like 1

If you don't have to use C02 then I would stay away from it with shrimps, definitely.

I am not sure why you are trying to get the cherry shrimp used to water of PH6.4 as they would prefer the 7.1 they are already in and if you are usig gravel that won't drop the Ph? Cherry shrimp should be ok in Ph 6.4 though, if there is a reason, as they are adaptable.

Cherry shrimp are usually quite tough and adaptable, and I dumped some from one tank of 'vastly' different parameters (they were meant as food for the fish) and they all survived and have colonised that tank now as the fish obviously doesn't see them as food. Disclaimer - I obviously don't recommend this be done though! I would just drip acclimate them as long/slowly as you can in a day is the best advice! 

Simon