Waterbox 10 Gallon Neocaradina Tank

Steensj2004

Update: 

Babies! BABIES everywhere! 

that is all.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Fantastic news and you must be so happy, long may it last and you must have got it all sorted!

I had another heater disaster 2 days ago, stuck on and temperature got to about 32, it was my oldest tank and the bloody mary shrimps seem to be none the worse but I lost almost all the tetras, and those few that survived aren't acting usual, d'oh! New heater in place and it has a flashing light that shows the temperature so that shouldn't happen again in the future, hopefully/theory anyway!

Simon

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Steensj2004 said:

Babies! BABIES everywhere

Pics!!

Please?

18 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I had another heater disaster 2 days ago, stuck on and temperature got to about 32

Oh no, not again!

when are you going to invest in that temperature controller thing I recommended? It's piece of mind if not anything else.

• Like 1

Don't I feel a fool letting it happen again. I have ut one of those strip thermometers on the tank now (they are actually quite accurate by the looks) and it is a tank close to where I usually am and the new heater has the flashing temperature on the heater so it is very unlikely to happen again. The shrimps seem fine (bloody mary) and yesterday I saw all the Ember tetras and 1 neon tetra so I only lost a few neon tetras by the looks of it, so it isn't as bad as I first thought?

I shall look into the temperature controllers now though! They don't seem to sell them from my usual seller but I may ask him to consider getting some, he sells everything else!

Simon

22 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Fantastic news and you must be so happy, long may it last and you must have got it all sorted!

I had another heater disaster 2 days ago, stuck on and temperature got to about 32, it was my oldest tank and the bloody mary shrimps seem to be none the worse but I lost almost all the tetras, and those few that survived aren't acting usual, d'oh! New heater in place and it has a flashing light that shows the temperature so that shouldn't happen again in the future, hopefully/theory anyway!

Simon

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble, seeing our tanks have issues is always hard. I hope your back on the upswing now!

4 hours ago, jayc said:

Pics!!

Please?

Oh no, not again!

when are you going to invest in that temperature controller thing I recommended? It's piece of mind if not anything else.

unfortunately, I don’t have a good camera for shots this small, but I did my best. I was able to count 23 last night during lights off with a small penlight. I’m sure they are many, many more! 

41D264DE-D7C7-4D25-91E8-1556833F9A76.jpeg

ED05C066-C6B9-4A57-9FE1-FF1B0D13599C.jpeg

5943B3E9-60F2-4970-A796-614F0FD93571.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh wow, as you say they certainly are tiny! You must be so happy?

How is it going with the other (Caridina) tank?

Simon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Oh wow, as you say they certainly are tiny! You must be so happy?

How is it going with the other (Caridina) tank?

Simon

Very happy!

Ugh, that tank. I can’t win with that tank, the fix didn’t last. But all are acting healthy. The ones with whatever the issue is seem to be losing white pigment? They are turning clear. However, it’s still only the red crystals as the black crystals and tigers show no symptoms.

I do have two berried Tigers in the tank, so I am excited to see what I get( I’m adding pics to that thread now)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, well, well. Look who’s been sleeping around the tank. Tisk Tisk!

9E64378B-B254-4BE6-B5F6-29D4329CA231.jpeg

I’m counting 43 plus or minus a few. That means the population has roughly tripled!

FD3D2505-652C-44DB-850B-782AAA03D2A0.jpeg

68063C4E-FB80-4129-8FCE-EACAF71F7E35.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Crabby said:

Woohoo!

3 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Great photos and I am so pleased it is going so well now!

Simon

Thanks! Getting ready to cull( move to my overflow tank) the last babies who were all orange or a little off in pattern. Trying to get a good line of orange rili that are consistent! Lots of locals want to buy when I have a good supply.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 6 berried females currently, and starting to see the first generation of baby females showing saddles!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Sorry to necro; any chance you can elaborate on how you made the sump chamber cover and the lid for your tank? I am about to get the exact same tank delivered and plan to use it for neocaridinas as well, and I need both of those solutions.

Hope the tank is doing well. Thanks!

• Like 1

@Goose, we haven't seen Steens for a while. Hopefully he is still around to reply.

However, It's a matter of just sourcing some glass or perspex and cut to the measurements of the sump chamber and the tank top.

Measure the rectangular space for the sump. And measure the the dimensions of the tank top + add a bit for a slight overhang. 

Then get a local glass supplier to cut it to size for you. You can glue a handle onto the tank lid for ease of opening and closing the lid. Or find some perspex and DIY it yourself.

Note the sump cover has a small corner cut out for lifting it during maintenance.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Appreciate the info, material names will be a great start. I am also particularly interested in how people get these homemade lids to stay secure on rimless tanks like this one.

• Like 1

I think most people just use clips. Either ones that come with the tank, or ones that they 3D print or order online. Beyond cheap. Just need 2 per tank or sump, one on each side, and if they’re strong enough for the weight of your lid, they should do just fine. 

• Like 1

Looking at Steens picture, he cut the clear perspex the size of the top, but to fit inside the top (ie it would fall in without the black strips), then the 2 black strips on the sides stop it from falling into the tank (they are attached/glued ti the clear top but not the tank), and as the clear part is inside the tank it stops it moving.

Perspex is pretty easy to work with and cut (hope it is called same in Australia)!

As crabby says, you can just buy the clips and cut your own lid but it won't look as smart as Steens, here is a link to what the clips look like, there are either corner ones or side ones, look at the 2nd picture (these are in UK but you must be anle to get them easily locally as lots of aquariums use this type);

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/aquarium-spare-parts/880-dennerle-cover-glass-holder-for-nano-cube-scaper-s-tank-4001615058963.html

Simon

• Thanks 1

I really like the look Steen's got on his lid with the strips. I may try to recreate something similar for mine. And it looks like the sump compartment cover just rests on these pieces and on a little shelf they added on the left side to support the other side of the sock cover. Doesn't look like it would restrict any flow. SumpCompartment.thumb.PNG.37e99391133ab86b6ff30275ee24eff8.PNG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Goose said:

the sump compartment cover just rests on these pieces and on a little shelf they added on the left side to support the other side of the sock cover.

Yep. That's right. That's why I said, it's just a matter of getting a piece of perspex/acrylic cut to size to fit into that area.

But having a closer look at Steens lid for the main tank, it looks like a piece of glass that is cut to the inner dimension of the top (see pic below). The black strips glued to the side rests on the tank's top edge to stop the lid from falling through.

2024594295_waterboxlid.thumb.jpg.501d5c093c5210e0daa9bb02ac33fccf.jpg

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Steen obviously went to more trouble than just resting the rear compartments on those built in dividers as his was actually recessed and split in 2, but I would just make it one piece that sits on the rear compartment dividers, so much easier and will look as good. Either leave a piece cut out so you can get your finger under to lift it as Steen did, or add a knob to the top so you can lift it out as it will be below the surface, so hard to get out?

The lid for the actual tank, cut as JayC states and the black strips need to be glued to the lid, then they rest on the sides of the tank!

Simon