Unexplained deaths

LCM94

Hello,

I have totally redone my tank: removed substrate & woods. Cleaned the inside of the tank.

I just kept most of the plants, cleaned them in tap water, cut out the roots.

I put in a new substrate: JBL Manado Dark (neutral substrate)

I added spider wood after cleaning them off

Almost a month now has passed and parameters are pretty much stable.

I still use osmosis water (ph = 6 to 6.5). I had a question though:

- If I set the correct ppm parameters, normally Ph should stay stable?

- I was thinking of introducing Tiger shrimps (that should be fine) but what about caridinas?

I guess that would work as well? 

PS: seems that I can't upload a file of 6Mb? Even 2Mb

• Like 1

Good to see you back and hopefully this time all will go well!

Tiger shrimp would probably be best as a TESTER as they are less fragile and more adaptable to different parameters than Taiwan bee, so I would get a small group of those and see how that goes at this stage, you can change (or mix?) to the Taiwan bee if all works for a few months?

With the correct parameters the PH should stay stable unless there is something like rocks that alter the PH. Using RO water plus the shrimp minerals will provide all the parameters at a set balance.

I'm not aware of any changes since you posted the pctures back in April so can only assume it may be file size related, can you do one at 1mb or below?

Simon

now the upload seems to be working with a 2Mb file ... but initially 6Mb seemed to big (popup with a "-200" error message, whatever that means ?)

IMG_20200710_110914.jpg

• Like 2

That looks great and I'm sure shrimps will be very happy exploring and grazing in there.

I look forward to hearing how it goes this time. I don't think anyone over here is sending shrimps (or fish) at the moment so I am not planning to get anything here soon, the fish are doing well in that tank, and there is 1 red steel shrimp survivor which shows itself occassionally?

Simon

• Like 1

Just noticed you said 'thinking of adding tigers, would caridina work as well?' or something of the sort, just checking that you are aware that tigers are a species of the genus caridina? Those parameters should work brilliantly though for tigers and probably most other dwarf caridina (as opposed to like aussie natives or amanos and stuff). Tank looks fantastic!

• Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 3:05 PM, Crabby said:

Just noticed you said 'thinking of adding tigers, would caridina work as well?' or something of the sort, just checking that you are aware that tigers are a species of the genus caridina? Those parameters should work brilliantly though for tigers and probably most other dwarf caridina (as opposed to like aussie natives or amanos and stuff). Tank looks fantastic!

yes indeed :)

Thanks for the compliment!

• Like 1