Unexplained deaths

LCM94

OK thanks. No I have not received the kit yet. 8 wanted to check current parameters before doing anything. The only shrimp still alive is a taiwan bee. Supposed to be the most sensitive! 

• Sad 1

Maybe, if you only have one shrimp left I would take the opportunity to change the substrate and start again, especially if you have time stuck at home in lockdown? If you can't get out to get new substrate you can still get parcel delivery etc? This was the one I had great success with and they may even send it to France? They do other sizes and colours if you look on the website?

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/active-substrate/2102-jbl-proscape-shrimp-soil-brown-9l-4014162670854.html

man. website,

https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/6493/jbl-proscape-plantsoil-brown#details

Just a thought, your choice though obviously! 

Simon

Thanks but no ?. The substrate is new from February and I don't think it's the issue. dennerle is supposed to be a top manufacturer. I checked on Google about feedbacks from this shrimp King substrate and never saw complaints. I have used their soil before in a smaller tank and never suffered such a problem. 

• Like 1

I agree that I wouldn't think a product from dennerle would be dodgy, but I won't EVER buy the substrate of theirs again and that was the only product that was different from last time and if you see how it went with the other substrate (photos in gallery) and the plants were so more lush, green and well formed, explosion of shrimp number etc with the JBL right from the start!

I am expecting a dozen small rasboras on thursday to go in that tank but I hope the remaining shrimp still survive and it is so densely planted that if the shrimp DO breed, some of the babies should survive? I have seen 2 more dead shrimp in that tank in the last week so as with you they are slowly dying?????

I hope you work out what the problem may be soon, and keep us updated as you may be able to help with my identical problem?

Simon

Yes will do. Indeed seem to be fine then slowly stopping moving just their legs movi'g a little then nothing. Some loose their colors and die too. I guess patience is the only way to see the light here...

• Like 1

Ask the person u bought the "roots" from if they have been treated with any chemicals.  Did you boil them first before putting into tank?

Other possibility is over-feeding related water pollution

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beanbag said:

Ask the person u bought the "roots" from if they have been treated with any chemicals.  Did you boil them first before putting into tank?

Other possibility is over-feeding related water pollution

I just leave them to eat whatever they can find. Basically micro organisms and biofilm. 

• Sad 1

Shrimp can eat biofilm faster than it can grow, so you need to supplement with additional food. Veges, leaves, flowers, and bloodworms are some good choices.

• Like 1

25% is a bit too much for normal water changes, where stability is the key. But in this circumstance, where we are trying to resolve an issue, it's fine. Just make sure you match the current parameters in the tank and add it back in slowly, don't dump the whole lot in at once. Drip feed the new water back in if you can. Otherwise, just add it back in slowly over the span of an hour.

• Like 1

Hello

So I have done a 50% water change since last post. I also have received the amonia test. 

Today my parameters are

Ph around 6.5

GH 5

Kh 0

Nitrite 0

Conductivity 200us/cm

Amonia 0

Should I consider now trying introducing shrimps? Should I wait the copper & nitrate tests? Seems that nitrate test should not show unexpected values from nitrite value I get?

I was considering tangerine that seem to be most robust. 

Thanks! 

Edited by LCM94
  • Like 1

I have reread this thread. I am not sure why you seem to think there may be copper?

I would wait until you get the third Nitrate test if it is on its way anyway!

I am thinking I may try TT in the 'future' in my tank, as you say they are tougher and easier, more like cherry shrimp, and they are fairly cheap compared with the others? For now I got my fish yesterday so they are in residence and settling in! The killifish has massacred the seed shrimp population that were on the glass...............

Do you know what the TDS fige is now?

Simon

• Haha 1

I know killies literally gobble shrimps ?

TDS for me ? In my last post I mentioned around 200us/cm (= 100ppm)  ?

Probably will have to increase tds for tigers to 300?

Anyway I won't test copper because I ordered twice the nh4 test on different sites ☠️

Edited by LCM94
  • Like 1

Hi,

As promised, here is a status:

So I finally got my test kits. Here are the results from right now actually:

NO3 / NO2 / NH4 = 0

GH = 5

KH = 0-1

Conductivity = 250 us/cm

PH = 6.5

I guess these are all perfect. Hope my next batch of shrimps makes it this time

• Like 2

Those parameters look perfect!

Are you getting any more shrimp yet? If so, what type?

I hope you have better luck this time!

Simon

Hope they get to you alright. I had a delivery of bloody mary just before lockdown and they are doing well in my old fish tank with tetras.

Your parameters are more caridina than neo-caridina! Are you planning to alter the paraeters or are you hoping the cherry shrimp will adapt?

Ideal parameters for the 2 types together would be about Ph6.5-7, GH 6-7, KH 2-3, TDS 180. Probably adding 'a bit' (not full doseage) of GH/KH+ would help if you have some, or it may be worth getting some?

Simon

Yes indeed I intend to raise the conductivity thus the GH because even Tangerine seem to prefer higher GH.

It seems though that they will stand PH6.5, as for KH I will see (I have the KH+ salt as well as the GH+).

But I had in previous tank (dennerle 60l tank) both types of shrimps too and caridinas lived in conditions meant for neocaridinas (technical soil but it lost its capabilities, PH was +7) and breeded so ...

I am sure they will adapt, they are most robust.

I will let you know ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, perfect parameters for shrimp.

Raising KH GH and pH to match neocaridina is much easier than lowering it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

So I got the new shrimps. Unfortunately all died within 3 days except perhaps 2 or 3. I am now thinking that the wood that I introduced was treated with some kind of chemical or pesticide :(. I have no other thing in mind, as my  water parameters seem fine.

NH2, NH3, NH4 = 0

PH = 6.5

TDS: 100

I think also the soil got polluted because I noticed shrimps do not stay very long on it. Do you think that this is a possibility: that the soil 'absorbed' all pesticides or any potential damaging chemicals?

I have no other choice than to restart from scratch everything. Really upset with all of this. Next setup with be iwagumi. No wood anymore! 

Thanks for your support!

Edited by LCM94
  • Sad 1

I would probably have to do the same, but the fish are doing fine for now (been to the pond tday to get some daphnia/mosquito larvae for them), I won't use that substrate again but stick with the JBL in future! I may try some more shrimp in the tank as is down the line, it may settle down after the fsh have been in it a while or if there are some critters in there I cant see, maybe the fish will eat those up (clutching at straws again)??? I assume you acclimated the new shrimp as you have had shrimp before. 

Hope it works next attempt?

Simon

Hi I'm new I have 2 tanks I'm currently trying to get up and running with shrimp and few fish  I have a 2.5 and a 5 gallon my main concern right now is my 5g I have a betta 4 tetra and two albino Cory's   and 4 ghost shrimp two of wich have eggs I had two more found them dead other morning I've been battling high ph and ammonia every for or five day doing 50% water changes every few day about 2 gallons has kept from anymore deaths my wife came home with these guys and I'm trying to get them in a functioning home I think I need a better filter system than what came with this 5 gallon setup basic waterfall type please help

• Like 1

Welcome newbie!

I assume that you probably didn't have enough time to 'cycle' the tanks going by the above, though that is only an assumption? If that is so all you can really do at this stage is water changes every few days as you are now. I assume (also) that you are using tap water and that may be why you have a high Ph, though substrate etc can cause that but is it too high? Shrimp are very sensitive and delicate so they should be acclimated over several hours using some sort of drip system. The last possible problem could be the betta with shrimps, my  first betta ate them but my current betta doesn't so that is one of those may/may not work.

A bit more detail will mean we can try and help more, the above details are based on assumptions and 'usual errors' as there isn't really enough detail in your post to do much else?

You appear to be doing quite well if you have just lost 2 shrimp so far! How long have you had the tanks running? What is in each tank (fish, shrimp, substrate, decoration, filter, water source etc etc)? 

Simon

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 1:43 PM, sdlTBfanUK said:

I would probably have to do the same, but the fish are doing fine for now (been to the pond tday to get some daphnia/mosquito larvae for them), I won't use that substrate again but stick with the JBL in future! I may try some more shrimp in the tank as is down the line, it may settle down after the fsh have been in it a while or if there are some critters in there I cant see, maybe the fish will eat those up (clutching at straws again)??? I assume you acclimated the new shrimp as you have had shrimp before. 

Hope it works next attempt?

Simon

Yep I hope it does. I wonder though what would happen if I put fishes instead of redoing everything? I was thinking of ramirezis and corydoras. What is your opinion? 

• Like 1

I have gone the fish route and all is going well and at some later date I MAY add some shrimp to the setup as it is. It gives me a break from all the stress and disappointment with the shrimps, and anyway nowhere is sending shrimps/fishh at the moment. I saw a red steel shrimp in there today? The killi fish I have will only live about a year anyway so makes a good stop gap and the dwarf rasboras should be ok with shrimps! I may even go the 100% same route that I had success with and start it all off in the same 15L that I used before and then transfer them over, exactly as before??Thinking about that one for now??

You could try the fish rather than re-doing the tank and starting over. I guess the grape root wood should go as thinking about it,  it may have had pesticides in it if it came from a commercial grape grower, but as you say some may have been absorbed by the soil over time? Fish are a lot easier and less sensitive so unless you want to completely start again with new substrate and everything else, plants etc, I would get the fish for now and go from there! Revisit the shrimp idea when you feel more like it?

You obviously won't be able to keep Rams and shrimp together but as all the shrimp died that's not a problem for now!

Simon 

• Like 1