Meet my new Betta!!! Any suggestions to put with him?

ryanfleming

Well... I think this is an elephant ear betta, but if I’m wrong, my bad, I picked him up yesterday, and I think he’s beautiful.

Not sure if I want to name him, because I’ll get too attached to him, and be sad when I loose him, but I think I will anyway, any suggestions are appreciated though.

He’s in a 30L tank, which I think he’s pretty lucky seeing some people have him in about 5 or 10 litre tanks.

Obviously, I’d like more fish because I’m just obsessed with just sitting and watching them, however I don’t want to jeopardise the health of him. Any fish that would be compatible with him would be good! The PH is 6.9, (above 6.8 but below 7) and GH is 140.

Thank you!!

Also

Excuse the dead plants in the back, they are now gone

41205d4b9b48cc45595d0538b289584c.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ryanfleming said:

I think he’s beautiful.

I agree. Wow! Who needs marine fish when you can get colours like that.

I used to keep my betta with Cardinal tetras and dwarf Rasboras. Tetras of any kind will be fine with bettas.

Loaches are great tank mates as well. Otos and catfish. 

• Like 2

I used to keep my betta with Cardinal tetras and dwarf Rasboras. Tetras of any kind will be fine with bettas.

Ooooooooooo I’ve always wanted cardinals, but never got them, what type of cats, and how many? (Panda’s?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or cardinals, how many of those?

• Like 1

He s a stunner, not that much different from mine!

Try to give him a few weeks to settle in before getting anything else to go with him and check he does alright, a bit like quarantine!

They make a lot of mess, I clean the filter every friday and the water is sooo black from the sponge so that would be another reason to let the tank settle with just him before adding more bio load!

I am biased as I have just ordered some, but, dwarf rasboras (chilli, mosquito, spotted) would be good as they are the opposite colour which will make them contrast well and they are small so half a dozen should be good. Maybe also a couple of the dwarf otos, again, different colour and movement so will add to the visual interest. To me that is enough in a 30L? I think 30L is a good size for a betta! I have cull red cherry shrimp in with mine (no other fish) but that doesn't always work, mine is heavily planted!

Simon

He s a stunner, not that much different from mine!
Try to give him a few weeks to settle in before getting anything else to go with him and check he does alright, a bit like quarantine!
They make a lot of mess, I clean the filter every friday and the water is sooo black from the sponge so that would be another reason to let the tank settle with just him before adding more bio load!
I am biased as I have just ordered some, but, dwarf rasboras (chilli, mosquito, spotted) would be good as they are the opposite colour which will make them contrast well and they are small so half a dozen should be good. Maybe also a couple of the dwarf otos, again, different colour and movement so will add to the visual interest. To me that is enough in a 30L? I think 30L is a good size for a betta! I have cull red cherry shrimp in with mine (no other fish) but that doesn't always work, mine is heavily planted!
Simon

Can I see a photo of your one?

We aren’t allowed to have shrimp here...
Yes, I was just getting ahead of myself with other fish, just wanting to eventually, wouldn’t he eat the dwarf Rasboras though, that’s my only worry..
it does get about 30% water change each week so hopefully the bioload shouldnt be too much.

Thank you for the advice though!

• Like 1

The first Betta I had enjoyed eating cherry shrimps so it is a great unknown whether that would work! There are a lot of people in Australia with shrimp but you can't import them is my understanding?

I can't see that a betta would try to eat a dwarf rasbora as the dwarf rasbora are still an inch so would be too big to go in its mouth? I'm sure anyway that the rasbora are too quick for the betta to catch?

That weekly maintenance sounds like you should be well covered!

This is the first betta that has done well, I have had him a year now - I put that down to JayC sound advice when I started!

Simon

99619620_IMG_20190407_182438-Edited.thumb.jpg.a320e8d9740bc57b6b3122ac7a332d5a.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ryanfleming said:

what type of cats, and how many? (Panda’s?)

Any type. Whichever you like best. Panda corys are fine.

6-10 cardinals should be ok, but as Simon said, give it a few weeks before adding more fish.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

The first Betta I had enjoyed eating cherry shrimps so it is a great unknown whether that would work! There are a lot of people in Australia with shrimp but you can't import them is my understanding?
I can't see that a betta would try to eat a dwarf rasbora as the dwarf rasbora are still an inch so would be too big to go in its mouth? I'm sure anyway that the rasbora are too quick for the betta to catch?
That weekly maintenance sounds like you should be well covered!
This is the first betta that has done well, I have had him a year now - I put that down to JayC sound advice when I started!
Simon

99619620_IMG_20190407_182438-Edited.thumb.jpg.a320e8d9740bc57b6b3122ac7a332d5a.jpg

Wow! He’s beautiful!
I emailed someone about shrimp and was told they aren’t allowed here. Which is weird, but what can you do [emoji23]

Might go for some dwarf Rasboras and some otos maybe? Would that ph/gh be ok for them?

Any type. Whichever you like best. Panda corys are fine.
6-10 cardinals should be ok, but as Simon said, give is a few weeks before adding more fish.

Yep, definitely will be waiting for a while.

Random, but I have a snail problem, feeling that they are impossible to get rid of. But don’t want to get a clown loach or something else to clean them up because I just don’t have the space to keep it. I’ve tried everything and they just keep on coming back [emoji36]

Just struggling a bit with my plants and snails definitely aren’t helping..

• Like 1

Amano shrimp would be good in that setup, if you can get some as they are larger and blend in with the substrate? Also a few pretty snails would add another dimension, I have assassins in all my tanks but those aren't allowed in Australia?

The parameters are at the top end for the rasboras but I would give it a go, just drip acclimate them over many hours!

One of JayC tips was to add some Indian almond leaves as the tannins are good for betta and it may reduce PH slightly! I don't know whether you saw this but it gives more info from JayC etc;

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14083-betta-water-parameters/

Simon

• Like 1

Amano shrimp would be good in that setup, if you can get some as they are larger and blend in with the substrate? Also a few pretty snails would add another dimension, I have assassins in all my tanks but those aren't allowed in Australia?
The parameters are at the top end for the rasboras but I would give it a go, just drip acclimate them over many hours!
One of JayC tips was to add some Indian almond leaves as the tannins are good for betta and it may reduce PH slightly! I don't know whether you saw this but it gives more info from JayC etc;
Simon

We are very strict here, only mystery snails, and no shrimp at all..

Simon

And thank you for the help as well [emoji106]

• Like 1