Fuzzy algae OMG I cannot stop it

Jimmerpro

Hi.  I’ve manually removed the fuzzy algae in the pic but it is a losing battle.

i have not found a good solution on the internet.

The 10 month old 8 gallon tank has about 15 cherry shrimp and 5 rabbit snails.

thx.

jimmy

06616CBB-6FE4-4340-9051-1CD81D09F5FB.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow, that's quite an impressive algae infestation. It actually looks nice on the driftwood!

Usually algae is a problem when a tank is cycling or recently cycled but that is obviously not your reason.

Sometimes reducing the level/time of the daily light helps but won't be a fast fix. I assume the tank isn't in natural light? You dont use fertilisers or CO2  do you? Has it got worse over time or stayed fairly steady?

There are a number of commercial 'antl-algae' products available widely, not sure where you are based. I haven't tried any though as mine has always cleared naturally shortly after 'cycling' but has been a different algae?

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi.  Not natural light.  No CO2.  It has steadily been getting worse.     I shortened the light cycle a several hours a few months back but that obviously didn’t help.   
I am in Texas.   I wonder if there is an anti-algae that will not harm my shrimp.   Maybe someone here knows...?

• Like 1

I had a quick look at my UK supplier (so no good for you) and there are quite a few here they say are shrimp safe though you need to know what type of algae/blanket weed etc.

They seem to say you probably have too much phosphate in the tank for most types, resulting from too much rotting stuff or waste usually? Do you do a regular maintenance and partial water change and what substrate are you using? Do you have a filter in the tank?

Actually here is the link so you can see all the products and see what they say, though I don't know whether you can buy these sort of things outside your country?

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=algae&submit_search=

Simon

ps It is likely connected to the fungus problem you had at the start I would think!

Edited by sdlTBfanUK

6 hours ago, Jimmerpro said:

I shortened the light cycle a several hours

Are your lights on a timer and how many hours is it on for?

Can you test your water for Nitrates?

Take that driftwood out and boil it to kill the algae for a quick fix. 

• Like 1

Hey beanbag, do you think that would work for blackbeard too? I have BBA basically lining the edges of all my plants and all up my driftwood, but it's really tough to get rid of and I don't particularly want to risk using algaecides with shrimp and fry in my tank.

• Like 1

Just make sure it is 3% H2O2. use it in a spray bottle and spray the BBA or Green Hair Algae directly, either under water out out of the water. More effective out of water of course.

• Like 1

is that dangerous for fish and shrimp the h202?

4 hours ago, Blazepelt said:

is that dangerous for fish and shrimp the h202

No, the by product is water. So not dangerous to the fish and shrimp. It will increase oxygen in the water as well.

But of course, you'd spray it directly at the livestock.

• Like 1