Welcome JoeWalesUK

JoeWalesUK

Hi all, 

Been keeping tropical fish for years but never kept shrimp and want to start. I would preferable buy shrimp from someone breeding as a hobby rather than a company, is there a specific place to go for this sort of thing?

Cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JoeWalesUK said:

would preferable buy shrimp from someone breeding as a hobby rather than a company, is there a specific place to go for this sort of thing

Hi Joe, welcome.

Where are you located? That would help us narrow down the search.

• Like 1

Welcome fellow UK member!

I hope you are doing well with this latest storm today, it was forecast you to get the worst of it!

When I used to get shrimps years ago Iused to get them from ebay and I actually never had a problem with any. Best to check they will send 'next day by 1PM' to be sure, I think it used to be 'express TM' or something similar.  We are lucky here in UK as we are fairly small so delivery can be next day without costing too much.

These days I use a business for everything including some shrimps - 

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/

Their prices are good and service superb. I do get some shrimp from shrimpcorner.co.uk as well, but they aren't really beginner types? Supposed to be getting some this week..................

Neocaridina (cherry) shrimp are the easiest to keep and most adaptable and can even (mine do) survive/thrive in aquariums using dechlorinated tap water - water parameters permitting of course. 

How far along are you and what sort of setup are you planning, or have you already set up? 

Simon

Hi Joe,

I am in the same boat. The only Ltd which sells shrimp only sells Cheryl shrimp which is what I am after. Unfortunately their ranks are not the best.  all the online retailers I can find are currently sold out. 

Are there any other places / people someone can recommend to get shrimp from? 

• Like 1

Our UK members should band together and sell surplus or give away shrimp to each other.

Back to the old school days. That's how I started, shrimp were rare and only place to buy them were from other keepers.

• Like 2

I can only really repeat myself here! There are lots (maybe even 100) people selling shrimps through UK ebay. I used to get mine from there and didn't ever have a problem though many nowadays seem to use less reliable postage so I don't use them any more. If you do buy them try and get Royal mail 'Express delivery - net day (TM) 1PM' and that means as long as you are home their won't be a problem and worth paying a bit more for.

I have just looked at Pro-shrimp and they have virtually any colour cherry shrimp in stock and their prices are good, the ones I have bought from them are very good colour and they send by royal mail for next day delivery by 1PM (so you need to be home to receive them). A point to note here is I think if you spend over £35 on the shrimp you get free delivery costs so if you buy 10 for £30, it will be cheaper to add an extra couple of shrimps and then you will get a couple of extra shrimps and save about £10 at the same time.

For the higher grade bee shrimps etc there is shrimpcorner.co.ufrom whom I got my delivery tuesday, these are dearer though and more difficult to keep!

Simon

8 hours ago, davidkayers84 said:

Hi Joe,

I am in the same boat. The only Ltd which sells shrimp only sells Cheryl shrimp which is what I am after. Unfortunately their ranks are not the best.  all the online retailers I can find are currently sold out. 

Are there any other places / people someone can recommend to get shrimp from? 

Where are you based davidkayers84?

Simon

On 2/29/2020 at 2:12 AM, jayc said:

Hi Joe, welcome.

Where are you located? That would help us narrow down the search.

Hi, Mid wales near shrewsbury. 

I have seen the shrimp on proshrimp and I have been buying plants from them for a little bit, I would prefer a more personal/cheaper option might be available from someone in the community who would be looking to scim a few if they have too many for example to pay for their next food order etc. If this isn't an option thats ok, I'll bite the bullet and use proshrimp. Haven't found an ebay seller I like the look of with a down to earth info section and a picture that has been taken from google...perhaps i'm a little skeptical though!

• Like 1

Hi Joe,

I took advice of someone in here and checked in shpock. Managed to find someone local to myself. It's worth a look. 

• Like 1

I had a quick look at gumtree and their was someone in South wales (Caerphilly) selling cherry shrimps but they are from a mixed colour tank so what any babies would look like is a bit risky, probably brown wild at a guess?

Probably safer and better shrimp from Pro-shrimp so the extra is worth it. The bloody mary I got recently have fabulous colour, and once I have removed enough wild types I shall get some more from them!

Simon

• Like 1