Sign in to follow this  
Taj Uddin

Shrimp Baby food

jayc

Only way is to try it. There is too much marketing jargon and not enough facts around Shirakura's products, so no one will know until you try it. As a food for baby shrimp, it is a very confusing product.

It also claims to 

• ADDS CRITICAL MICROORGANISMS TO YOUR WATER 
  •  HELPS KEEPS AQUARIUM WATER CLEAN

If it's a good food baby shrimps will eat, then there should be nothing left in the tank to grow microorganisms. What sort of microorganisms? fungus, mould, pathogenic bacteria? It's trying to suggest it might grow beneficial bacteria.

Which leads to the last bullet point, cleans water due to the microorganisms. Beneficial bacteria has nothing to do with the product. BB will grow irrespective of this product, if your tank is mature and cycled.

It might actually have some powdered food in there for the baby shrimps, so that's good at least. But don't buy it for any of the other reasons listed on the packet. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      Was the Sunkist already berried when you got it? If that was the case, then the offspring would still be sunkist shrimp (ie. if you were successful raising the Sunkist offspring). Sunkist larvae apparently need brackish water conditions. Note: Sunkist are generally of the Caridina genus (Caridina cf. Propinqua). There is a Neocaridina genus called Orange Sakura.  So assuming the LFS has labelled the shrimp correctly then there is a lower chance of interbreeding. But people make a very common mistake of using the Sunkist and Orange Sakura name interchangeably and messing things up. But if that "Sunkist" shrimp somehow mated with the Red Cherry shrimp, then you would get diluted genetics, and some offspring would carry genetics of both Sunkist and Cherry. That means the offspring will be of poor quality eventually leading back to the wild type look.    Maybe a picture or two of what you have would help. Close up side shot of the shrimp please.    I'm going to borrow a pic from the interwebs (credits to whoever the original photographer is). The Sunkist (caridina) has a slight hump in it's back with distinctive white or red stripes. The hump is similar to Ghost shrimps. Notice the colour is a lot more transparent.   The Orange Sakura is more uniform in colour. Good quality varieties are less transparent than the Caridina Sunkist.   Of the two, the Sunkist is the rarer find.   Hope that helps.
    • wtusa1783
      I just got a buried orange Sunkist female from my lfs and I have a cherry shrimp Tank. What would happen if I put the orange Sunkist shrimp in that tank? Is it a good idea? Would it creat wild type?
    • LCM94
      yes indeed :) Thanks for the compliment!
    • Crabby
      ^ agree to all of that 🙂 Tub method is the way I went, worked a charm. Now I use the tub as a fish-storage container. Took me most of the day to get through the whole process with a slightly overstocked 29 gallon tank - hence way more gravel. I think yours is only a 10 or something? If you switch the heater and filter to the tub, it can hold the fish and shrimp for a week or so with no problems, so you are able to take the safe approach - leaving the livestock out of the tank for a few days to let the tank settle. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      As stated byothers, there really isn't any short cuts that really are 'short cuts' in the end,, best to just empty and refill, a friend of mine did his 160L this weekend and it took about 4 hours doing as recommended above. He was replacing gravel with soil substrate as he wants to have a go at keeping more plants. He has a lot of my cull red cherry (browns) and fish so wasn't wanting/needing a buffer substrate so he is using this; https://www.tetra.net/en-gb/products/tetra-activesubstrate He also used the 'complete substrate' underneath which is probably more important with plants, as that has the minerals etc. but if you just like/want the look of the soil and to grow a few easy plants maybe you could just use the active substrate on its own. I know my friend won't have kept the fish separate from the tank once he put the new substrate in, so they will have gone back the same or next day so will be interesting to see how it works longer term, but he is using the 2 substrates which may/probably get either an ammonia spike or build up of minerals just like all the other substrates due to the Tetra complete substrate being used as well? If you can keep the fish in a different container as JayC recommends, even for just a week to let the new tank settle and test Nitrate/nitrite/ammonia over that time would be safer than just putting the fish/shrimp straight back once the new substrate is in place, also as JayC states. Having read up on this there also appears to be Seachem Flourite and I believe these 2 products are inert from the research I did. I would be interested to hear if anyone knows as that should mean they would be ideal for neocaridina shrimps if you want the soil type look??? I am assuming these products are available in USA. I had thought I would use the 'Tetra active substrate', on its own if I reset my oldest tank that has tetras and RCS but even after 5+ years the plants grow so ridiculously well, there is no point changing it, I don't use any fertiizers either. I haven't used the Fluval substrate so am not familiar with that! Simon