beanbag

Baby shrimps

beanbag

Hello folks,

One of my berried RWP finally hatched babies after a 48 day incubation period.  That seems really long, but I guess the water temperature was on the cool side at 66F over most of this time.  My only question really is if baby shrimp are supposed to just stand around motionless the first few days?  They will swim a few cm and move away when a large shrimp moves by, but otherwise they just stay in one spot for hours at a time, not even grazing with their little claws.  This is the third day since hatching and I still don't see any that are grazing.

The adult shrimp seem to be doing ok, although they are a little quieter today.  (Maybe some are waiting to molt)

Water parameters should be in the range for bee shrimp.  (pH ~5.7, TDS 120, GH5)

Feeding schedule is mostly unchanged: shrimp food once a week, one chunk of mulberry leaf that gets finished in 3-4 days, and one dose of Bacter AE per week.  (Although this time I dosed twice to try and grow some last-minute biofilm).

The only thing I am not really sure about is if there is enough biofilm around.  Nitrates have been at zero for a long time, and some plants are yellowing.  There are splotches of algae on the glass and plants, and there is a wad of moss, but I never see the adult shrimp graze on these areas, so maybe it is the "wrong" kind of algae?

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

You must be so excited and relieved. It was worth the wait though!

Baby shrimp (probably like a lot of creatures) don't move very far at all, I assume it is natures way of helping them survive as the mother would have had them somewhere safe? Of coarse with no predators that can be anywhere in a tank but that instinct to not go far will still be there. It is why it is very difficult to raise baby shrimps in a large tank unless there is enough biofilm as you can't really feed them as it needs to be powder to be small enough and it needs to get to the shrimp wherever they are! You may also scare the babies when you go to the tank as again they would probably 'freeze' if they think they are at some sort of risk - again that happens with a lot of baby animals but they will learn that you are no threat but actually friendly with time.

I did try and feed the babies (if ever I get some this time I will start again) with 'chi ebi' but there are lots of baby/powder foods available, but if you do that be very sparing. I dip a tooth pick in the water (only about 5mm), then in the powder, then back into the tank and swirl it around and HOPE some gets to the right places - I work on the assumption some is better than none, but too much is bad. The more time goes by the more active and adventurous they will become.

It isn't unusual for people to think that no babies were born for a few weeks because of this staying in one spot and being so tiny, many people are surprised a few weeks later?

Hope they do really well and we may see some photos one day?

Simon

• Like 1

beanbag

Hello,

I don't think I am "out of the woods" just yet until I see the baby shrimps growing up and grazing.  Maybe in another week or so?  I read somewhere that baby shrimp have a 1 week "trial period" where if the conditions aren't right they die off.

Regarding the baby food, I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, but last year when my shrimps had babies, I dosed GlasGarten Shrimp Baby but it polluted the water and everybody died except for one Blue Bolt and the Amanos.  So I am very cautious about any powdered food that can get everywhere.  I guess vegetable-based is ok, like dried mulberry pellets, but things high in protein can go bad.  I also dose a little Bacter AE because at least when the bacteria land somewhere they grow instead of die and rot.

So in any case, my baby shrimp will have to live off Bacter AE and biofilm.

Maybe chlorella powder or bee pollen might be ok too, but I am reluctant to try anything new right now.  (Should have tested those earlier)

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Are you still seeing the babies, there probably is enough biofilm at this stage so hopefully they will be fine? How many have you seen?

Simon

kms

I've had babies about 6 times, just treat the tanks as normal as you have been before, you can't do anything for the babies, sometimes it can be days without a baby in sight, then you start to see one by one come out. I'm sure there is enough biofilm for them to feed, plants substrate, glass and rocks.

• Like 1

beanbag
22 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Are you still seeing the babies, there probably is enough biofilm at this stage so hopefully they will be fine? How many have you seen?

Simon

Maybe around 10 or so

19 hours ago, kms said:

I've had babies about 6 times, just treat the tanks as normal as you have been before, you can't do anything for the babies, sometimes it can be days without a baby in sight, then you start to see one by one come out. I'm sure there is enough biofilm for them to feed, plants substrate, glass and rocks.

I know that many people claim to have increased baby survival rate by dosing various baby foods or Bacter AE.  What has your survival rate been?