New Shrimp, Any Females?

DreamBlueVelvet

Are these bugs okay? Should I take them out? Would they endanger the shrimplettes? I believe they came with the topsoil or maybe hitchhikers from the native plants

Edited by DreamBlueVelvet
  • Like 1

Those look like water louse (though ours are browner in colour) and I had them when I used to take leaves out of the lake and put them in the tank - stopped doing that immediately. They were probably attached to something you foraged?

They did no harm and apparently are a sign of good water, but they look horrible and creepy (to me) and they breed prolifically so I would remove them as/when you see them! They are fairly easy to catch. I don't know how they breed though (whether they lay eggs), only that they are accomplished at it so it is best to remove them ASAP if you aren't wanting them???

I am sure they are harmless though and some may even think they do the same job as shrimps (some people keep them in aquariums as clean up crew instead of shrimps here), but if you have shrimps why have those?

Simon 

• Like 1

Okay thanks, and do you know what kind of algae this is? I leave my light on for maybe 12 hours a day on average

I also open the blinds and have indirect sunlight 

992622AE-1FBC-41F4-9A6D-72CBE1089FCA.jpeg

67493D42-0DD2-48F0-A4F9-9BFD15FC1D63.jpeg

• Like 1

Is that only on one plant and if it is maybe (this is a bit way out there but bare with my insanity) it could be roots. With my Java fern new plants grow on the edges of the leaves like that with roots and small leaves before they separate/break off?

If you know what the plant is then you could look it up and see if that is what is happening, or it could just be my lack of sleep over the last 2 nights with our strong wind/storm??????? They look more like roots to me though!

Simon

• Like 1

Unfortunately they are not roots they have a blue green color, I’ve trimmed some infected plants but it just spreads

• Like 1

Hey dreamblue, I think it’s stag horn algae. Found this site, check it out. https://fishlab.com/staghorn-algae/
It uses flourish excel as the treatment method. I use that in my tanks too (actually trying to remove bba) and it’s a good product. I would also reccomend reducing your lighting times. If you normally have background light to a certain extent, maybe try dropping to 10 hours a day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

Hey dreamblue, I think it’s stag horn algae. Found this site, check it out. https://fishlab.com/staghorn-algae/
It uses flourish excel as the treatment method. I use that in my tanks too (actually trying to remove bba) and it’s a good product. I would also reccomend reducing your lighting times. If you normally have background light to a certain extent, maybe try dropping to 10 hours a day.

Okay, thanks. I looked that one up but wasn’t sure if that was the right kind of algae. I will cut off infected plants and lower light to 8 hours a day and see if it does anything. The plants on the back of the tank are the ones that are infected and they face the window. I’ll keep those blinds close as well and see what happens.

• Like 2

No it’s growing lol. Im not sure if I want to treat the water with excel because I don’t want to harm the shrimp. Do you think it will go away on its own or if I treat it later would it be too late?

The tank so far.

6D8DB7E5-C30B-45B0-B026-6417834B1E1C.jpeg

• Like 1

I would personally leave it for now and just remove it manually for a bit longer as I wouldn't want to risk the shrimps or babies when they arrive! As you have reduced the light and closed the blind give it a bit longer as it is to be safe, as it may not look nice but it isn't  doing any harm!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, you actually can’t see it unless you look close, all the moss near the gravel is actually Java Moss. I had them in balls but I decided to spread it out for the shrimp. When I received the moss it was brown/green but I think it will get green over time.

I’ve read in Walstad’s book that sometimes algae takes care of itself and sometimes you need more plants. Anyone have experience treating algae with plants?

• Like 1

This photo is more recent. 

Any plant recommendations?

I want to introduce more red plants but not sure if my light is strong enough, I believe it’s a 37 watt for 29 gallon tall tank

E41ACD75-4AAC-43E4-AF58-3FCDECC31B50.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many red plants require white and red light, could be LED or tube, power isn't important, but need enough reach the bottom, but most important co2 is needed, or they don't last.

• Like 2

I use two 24 watt fluorescent tubes on my regular 29, and am just able to grow red plants. That’s 48 watts of light, from one pink and one blue tube, so your 37 on a tall tank might not be strong enough when it hits the bottom. If you end up dosing excel (I do and it works fine for me) then maybe try Alternanthera Reineckii, or it’s mini version (also known as AR Mini). I’ve had success with that.

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Crabby said:

I use two 24 watt fluorescent tubes on my regular 29, and am just able to grow red plants. That’s 48 watts of light, from one pink and one blue tube, so your 37 on a tall tank might not be strong enough when it hits the bottom. If you end up dosing excel (I do and it works fine for me) then maybe try Alternanthera Reineckii, or it’s mini version (also known as AR Mini). I’ve had success with that.

Ok does it require CO2 also what about Ludwigia Repens Rubin super red?

• Like 1

No plants ‘require’ CO2 so to speak, but it helps boost growth. Flourish excel is basically bottled CO2, so you could do that. Most red plants will just grow a bit greener without CO2. I have some variety of Ludwigia repens, and it stays pretty red, as the leaves reach higher toward the light. But the best thing to do is just try something. Test it out, see what works and what doesn’t, because nobody‘s tanks are the same.

• Like 2

I am more of a give a plant a go and it either lives or not, though I don't think anything has died off thus far! I don't know what plants are available to you but they are a personal choice for you to make so just see what there is? I wouldn't use CO2 but if you do decide to use the Flourish excel I would do it slowly starting with half dose etc!

I have had algae before with new tanks but it has just cleared up with time on it's own, I guess when the whole system has sorted/balanced itself out!

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: yesterday I found my second shrimp berried! Also I noticed I actually have a 3rd female that has matured. On top of that I found an 8th shrimp in my tank which is only 5mm, he must of been microscopic when I have received him a month ago ?

I have stopped doing water changes for the time being to try to keep all parameters the same, the TDS is still around 190 and nitrates stay at 0ppm because I have so many plants.

Does anyone know the name of the new grass leaf looking plant I have acquired in the back of my tank?

I am starting to understand the different stages of the shrimp as they grow, my third female should be come berried in a week because she has developed the “sack belly”

I will try to get better quality images with my dslr soon to come 

C7B34A99-27A5-4AEF-A064-73B12F1C28EE.jpeg

8721F31F-098A-4EDC-81C2-76FC1B4A3CA0.jpeg

• Like 2

The tank looks great and I see you have the same problem I have with the roots of the floating plants growing way too fast. Sounds like you are well on your way to filling the tank with shrimplets, very exciting!

I'm not too sure which plant you are asking about so if you can attach a photo that may help? I love the mix of different plants you have, as I am sure the shrimps do too.

You should be ok doing small water changes regularly, just add the new water slowly (drip or run a thin air line if possible), but if you would prefer not too at this point I am sure it will be ok as it is a larger tank than most anyway!

Just check the filter intake is safely covered for the tiny babies.

Has the algae problem resolved itself?

Simon

I’ve trimmed a lot of the infected plants but it’s coming back gradually, I’m not too worried about it as long as it doesn’t cover 100% of my tank. Here is the picture of the plant, about an inch wide per stem grows to about 3-4 feet. Got it from a nearby spring ?

7333319E-17F2-4683-9471-131ABA2C5E31.jpeg

• Like 1

at 1:00 you can see it pretty clearly

do you think it could be a Jungle Val variant?

• Like 1

I think you are right, I have had a look around on internet, some people sell that???

How are you going to keep that in check as it can grow very big?

Simon

• Like 1