Jump to content

safe phophate levels


xrayguy
 Share

Recommended Posts

hi guys, I've had climbing phosphate levels, roughly 2.5, which is higher than I'd like.  My tank is heavily planted.  I only feed every other day if that, and don't over feed ( i feel, fish eat most of the food within 5 minutes).

What I'm wondering, is there a level of phosphates that I need to be aware of, ie gotta do a w/c NOW.

thanx

r

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Phosphate levels of 1.0 ppm (mg/L) or higher, the conditions become favourable for algae growth. At 2 to 3 ppm, algae overgrowth is likely to occur. Ideal phosphate levels are 0.5 ppm or less for an algaeless tank.

It's unlikely to be harmful for the fish and shrimps, it just encourages algae.

So it depends if you want some algae in the tank or not.  2 - 3ppm is probably still okay, certainly a trigger as a reminder to perform water changes. Maybe 4 ppm is a trigger for a water change NOW (if you don't already have overflowing algae) !!

If you do your weekly water change, phosphate levels should be under control. It's when you get lazy that issues develop, and with parameters that matter more than phosphate. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i do a 50 percent w/c weekly, usually every tuesday.  That's why I'm perflexed.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't harming my shrimp.  

I can only speak for myself, but I don't really want to grow algae.  So I pay attention to my water parameters, I keep a journal.  I test my water before dosing ferts.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, xrayguy said:

i do a 50 percent w/c weekly, usually every tuesday.  That's why I'm perflexed.

Hmm, now I'm perplexed. Do you use tap water? Test the water source for phosphates.

Phosphate is added to our tap water for a few reasons, and your local area might be adding more than other towns/cities.

 

Are you fertilising the tank? Most macro fertilisers have Phosphorus in it along with nitrogen and potassium.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

0.25 out of the tap.  I thought it might be coming from equilbrium, but many people on another site don't think that's the cause.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, xrayguy said:

0.25 out of the tap.

That's normal.

 

3 minutes ago, xrayguy said:

I thought it might be coming from equilbrium

Equilibrium has no phosphorus. Are you sure you have no other source of phosphorus coming into the tank, like fertilisers?

Aim for :

1 part phosphates to 10 parts nitrogen.
Since many planted tank aquariums have Nitrates NO3 in the range of 5-20 ppm, this means the phosphates should be around 0.5 to 2 ppm

Plants need Phosphorus, and use it along with Nitrogen and Potassium.  So maintain it around 1 - 1.5ppm to avoid algae issues, but still have enough for healthy plants.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do use ferts.  I dose flourish ( I under dose), nitrogen, potasium and iron.  I test my water before dosing.  I've been dosing the same for months if not years, with the exception of using the equilibrium again.  I just started using that to raise my GH for my snails.

r

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, xrayguy said:

I dose flourish

That doesn't have phosphorus either, not enough to raise it by that much.

The only other source is dead plant material or rotting food particles settled either in the substrate or within the filter.

Clean out half your filter sponges and "try" to gravel vacuum as much as possible. I noted that you have a heavily planted tank, and gravel vac can be hard without disturbing the plants.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Join Our Community!

    Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

  • Must Read SKF Articles

  • Posts

    • sdlTBfanUK
      Welcome fellow UK shrimp keeper! I would think it would be better to remove the shrimp into the quarantine tank and keep them there whilst you treat the fish in the main tank and once you finish treating the tank and fish do a complete water change (maybe 2 a week apart for safety) before returning the shrimps. That would seem the best option though obviously the shrimp would need to be in the separate tank for weeks. I'm not aware of any medications available for ICH that won't kill shriimp and/or snails. With neocaridina they probably will just about survive 30 degrees but you are pushing it close to the limit! I don't believe ich affects shrimps.
    • ferret-confirmed
      Re-posting here from The Shrimp Spot forum as I need help. Help, 40 litre tank has a ich (ichthyophtyirius multifiliis) / white spot outbreak. We've been able to separate the few surviving neon tetra into an emergency quarantine tank, with appropriate medicine for the fish. We had done this as we had noticed the issue practically too late as we miss identified the white spots as cotton mouth (which the tetra also have). We luckily quarantined the fish from the tank as  the ich reached its second stage as most have matured and abandoned the fish. This has become an issue as even if the neon tetra do not survive the treatment, I cannot re-add them to the tank and I don't want to keep the tank's environment full of parasites. Thankfully ich seem to not be able to effect the shrimp but the medicine we have for them is toxic to the shrimp and the plants in the tank, hence the separating of the neon tetra. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to the tank while the shrimp are still in the tank, as removing them isn't a viable option. We've been trying to get the temp of the tank to 30C and leaving it at that temp for an hour, however the tank's heater is verry slow and doesn't seem to be going up past 27C. From what I've searched 30C should kill of the ich without irritating the bloody mary shrimp too much (too many websites vary their recommended temp, so I wouldn't keep it above 28C long if we were able to get it that high) If anyone knows if there are any ich treatments or methods of killing ich that are safe for invertebrates and potentially plants I would love if they could suggest one.
    • Moul1974
      For beginners and smaller tanks, I recommend glass aquariums because of their affordability and scratch resistance. For larger, more advanced aquariums, we recommend acrylic because it's lighter and easier to repair than glass.
    • becky
      Hooray! I was hoping it was molt but he hasnt progressed at all in about a week. Thank you guys so much for your help again. Ill keep an eye out. 
    • jayc
      It looks like the shrimp is about to moult.  I don't keep Ghost shrimp, so I'm not too familiar with how they look when going into a moult. But the white band along each joint is common in other shrimp when they start to moult.
×
×
  • Create New...