Blazepelt

10 Gallon Community

Blazepelt

hi everyone last night i added some gravel to my cycling 10 gallon so the bacteria would have another place to grow however today i tested the ph on the tank and it is 7.4 its usually 7, i checked that the gravel was inert what could be causing this?

• Like 1

Crabby

Could u post a pic of the name and packaging? It might be worth it to check yourself if it is truly inert. 

• Like 1

Blazepelt

it was just in a large container so i don't know what brand but i asked the shop keeper and she said it was definetley inert.

Crabby

Did u rinse it thoroughly first?

• Like 1

Blazepelt

yes

not that bad guppies dont mind this ph so thats fine

Crabby

Most other fish will prefer a neutral pH, though, so it might be wise to change it while it’s less of a hassle. Ur choice tho, it could still work out fine.

For the meantime, though, the guppies will like that. 

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 1

jayc
4 hours ago, Blazepelt said:

but i asked the shop keeper and she said it was definetley inert.

Never trust the shop keeper with questions like that. 

Some gravels are indeed inert. But the shop keeper automatically associates it to ALL gravels as the same. 

Unfortunately, not all gravels are the same or come from the same source. So moral of the story, you cannot assume all gravels are inert unless it is tested to be inert. Even gravels from the same brand can be sourced from different locations, and have very different effects on water parameters. 

At least you have grounds for returning the product now. The shop keeper told you incorrect info.

• Like 2

Blazepelt

Apparently shrimp also like higher ph.

How would I go about removing it?

• Like 1

Crabby

Neos like neutral, and caridinas most definitely will not like a higher ph. If u want i can come over to help remove it - I have a bit of experience with that. I drained the tank - turned the filter and heater off before, of course - and scooped it out with my hands, and at the end I used a scoop, like from a brush-and-shovel sort of thing. U would want to keep your filter and media in a bucket with aquarium water. 

And as jayc mentioned previously, you have clear grounds for returning the gravel. Get something that is clearly packaged, that you can look up when ur there.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

cherry shrimp and the fish you plan to get will be fine with that figure so I would just carry on! Caridina shrimps won't like it as crabby says but as far as what you have posted I assume you would be getting the easier/stronger cherry shrimp if you do get shrimp! My cherries have lived happily enough in PH 7.5 for years with the tetra fish.

Simon

• Like 1

Blazepelt

Which tetras do you keep with the red cherry shrimp and how hard is your water? I’m also thinking about Corydoras and blue velvet shrimp.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

I keep ember tetras and neon tetras currently. I love endler guppies but they don't do well in that tank as they are too adventurous and end up getting stuck under/behind things so have given up on them, but they are/were my fave! Tetras don't seem the be as adventurous and stay mainly mid water level. I have kept the green neon tetras in the past as well in that tank.

I also have another tank with a fighter that has red cherry shrimps, that also has PH 7.5 - they were meant for him as food but he just watches them and they have now bred............

My tanks are too densely planted to have corydora but anyway they aren't really 'my thing', but they are very popular and a friend has lots in their tanks.

If you are planning on the dark blue (velvet) shrimps they won't probably show up very well if the gravel you got was black? You need a contast, bright colour shrimp on dark substrate and dark shrimp on sand/light substrate so give that some thought before you get too far into setting up the tank in preparation?

Simon 

Blazepelt

Yeah nothings set in stone thanks for the ideas I’m also thinking about setting up my 6 gallon for betta and shrimp so good to know that it might not eat the shrimp.

• Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

There is an element of risk with the betta as I have had one that ate shrimps in the past so it may or may not work out?

If the substrate you got is black then I would consider bloody mary red cherry shrimps and you could mix in with some tangerine tigers as they don't interbreed and both are easy to keep and robust and can live in the same water parameters? 

Simon

• Like 1

Blazepelt

Yeah i dont reallly mind if the betta end up eating the shrimp as i can move them to my 10 gallon. Also whats the difference between RCS and the bloody mary variety?

• Like 2

Crabby

Bloody Mary are often thought to just be a higher grade, but I believe they actually originate from a different wild shrimp than cherries, although they are still neocaridina davidi. This can be seen below.

Bloody Mary are a much nicer looking shrimp, though, with a deeper red colour. 
Here’s a great video that explains it: 

A437AC0E-6622-4AF4-8018-C3561E3A53C5.png

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

As crabby states, they are just a better colour than standard red cherry, and that will show them up better on black substrate!

You can of course do what I did which was to not buy any shrimp for the betta tank, but just transfer any unwanted badly coloured shrimp (culls) to the betta tank as they come up in the 10 gallon. This way if the betta does eat them then you won't be too bothered, but also as the colour isn't as good he may not be interested in them, like mine!

Simon 

Blazepelt

That’s a good idea thanks I’ll keep it in mind when stocking.

• Like 1

Crabby

I would test it out with ghost shrimp first, or red cherry culls like Simon said. If they work then you could add a more intense Bloody Mary or painted fire red shrimp.

Especially in terms of price - ghosts and red culls are $1 max, whereas anything nice is $8 each at least.

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 2

Blazepelt

Right okay I’m not starting the 5 gallon for a while probably after summer but thanks for the advice.

• Like 2