Please help me with growth on catfish!

ryanfleming

Hey all, nice to meet everyone.

Been busy the last few days and haven’t payed 100% attention to the fish. I noticed that this Cory has a strange red growth coming off its fin. I assumed it’s something baterical but I’m not sure. Any suggestions or is it too late for this little guy... I’ve had the other fish for close to 2 years and haven’t had any other problems but this is very strange. Also, I do 30%+ water changes weekly, ammonia, nitrite are 0, nitrate is very low (a safe level) thanks for any help

Cheers 31380e28eb689d5335a3b6784ab25dd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

I’ve noticed these growth on my leopard Cory develop over the last day or two, can anyone help me identify what it is so I can help it please

Thank you ! b4db763e46d74a44ca3de58c12f6fd47.jpg

Hi Ryan,

I’m no expert, but it looks similar to red blotch disease, which is common in corydora catfish other bottom dwellers. I haven’t encountered this personally before, though, so I may be wrong. It’s worth a short google search for reassurance and treatment though.

Good luck!

Crabby

Hi Ryan,
I’m no expert, but it looks similar to red blotch disease, which is common in corydora catfish other bottom dwellers. I haven’t encountered this personally before, though, so I may be wrong. It’s worth a short google search for reassurance and treatment though.
Good luck!
Crabby

Hmmm it might be but it doesn’t seem to be a perfect match, do you know anyone I could talk to to make sure of it? Cheers for replying!

Yeah, it looks a little different, and I’m not sure if it can be found on fins, but it’s similar and could be a good starting point. I can only direct you to @jayc, who is one of our moderators, and seems to know the areas of knowledge and interest of everyone on this forum ? 

Edited by Crabby

Yeah, it looks a little different, and I’m not sure if it can be found on fins, but it’s similar and could be a good starting point. I can only direct you to @jayc:, who is one of our moderators, and seems to know the areas of knowledge and interest of everyone on this forum [emoji846] 

Ok thanks a lot, I’m just keeping up the daily water changes until I figure out what to do
Thanks for your help

I know NOTHING on fish diseases etc but did find this which looks very similar?
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=55119
Simon

Yeah that does look a lot like it. Poor little guy. :( should I QT it or just see if he will recover

Thank you for finding that, I think you could be on the money with it.

I can only go by the thread and what was said there and would quarantine it whilst I decide what tp do, or while awaiting further info etc!

Alternatively from reading it, you may want to call it a day with this fish, leave it a month to make sure the others are not the same or infected and then maybe get a replacement - only you can make that decision, but for now I would put it in a quarantine tank and mull it over, or see what other info you get in the next few days???

Simon 

• Like 1

I can't tell from the lighting of the photo, but it looks very similar. I hope for the fish's sake that that's not the case, but for safety I agree with Simon that qt is the best immediate action. From there its a case of more research, and likely a moral decision.

2 hours ago, ryanfleming said:

do you know anyone I could talk to to make sure of it?

AHA! I just remembered about our resident cory expert - @KillieOrCory. He isn't always super active, but u could try sending a private message to him and seeing if he responds.

• Like 2

Hi @ryanfleming,

unfortunately it looks very much like lymphocystis.

Quarantine the fish immediately to avoid spreading of the virus to the other fish.

The virus can be inactivated with a bath  of potassium permanganate (100 mg/L or higher), or formalin (2000 mg/L or higher) for 15 minutes at 77°F (25°C).

These are quite high doses. So be sure to use proper precautions (adequate ventilation and personal protective equipment, e.g., gloves, goggles, when using these chemical meds.

The problem is, as you can see, those are such high doses that it is almost impractical. 

If you want to try treating it, get some formalin 

https://www.thetechden.com.au/Aquasonic_Formalin_Malachite_250ml_White_Spot_p/pl124.htm 

Drip a few drops directly onto the growth. And 1ml into 1L of water with the fish. Keep aeration going as formalin will deplete oxygen in the water. Move the fish to clean water after 30 minutes in the formalin bath. 

I would also use it to treat the main tank at 1ml to 40L.

What are your other water parameters? pH, temps, GH, and TDS if you have a TDS meter.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Hi @ryanfleming:,
unfortunately it looks very much like lymphocystis.
Quarantine the fish immediately to avoid spreading of the virus to the other fish.
The virus can be inactivated with a bath  of potassium permanganate (100 mg/L or higher), or formalin (2000 mg/L or higher) for 15 minutes at 77°F (25°C).
These are quite high doses. So be sure to use proper precautions (adequate ventilation and personal protective equipment, e.g., gloves, goggles, when using these chemical meds.
The problem is, as you can see, those are such high doses that it is almost impractical. 
If you want to try treating it, get some formalin 
https://www.thetechden.com.au/Aquasonic_Formalin_Malachite_250ml_White_Spot_p/pl124.htm 
Drip a few drops directly onto the growth. And 1ml into 1L of water with the fish. Keep aeration going as formalin will deplete oxygen in the water. Move the fish to clean water after 30 minutes in the formalin bath. 
I would also use it to treat the main tank at 1ml to 40L.
What are your other water parameters? pH, temps, GH, and TDS if you have a TDS meter.

PH is 6.8 and GH is 140PPM, does that sound right?

I can order that medicine right now but will it even help, that’s more for ich isn’t it, I though this was a tumour.

Cheers

6 hours ago, ryanfleming said:

GH is 140PPM, does that sound right?

GH is a bit high for Corys. A water cahnge to bring it down below 100 would be beneficial. But keeping the right parameters is a long term fix, and won't cure this cory, so bring GH down for the benefit of the other Corys.

Formalin should work but not in the dose found in commercal products. No guarantee the Aquasonic Formalin will work on lymphocystis, because it is in very low doses. It's difficult buying formalin or PP in such large doses. I suggested it, as a last ditch effort. Better to do something than nothing at all. 

• Like 1

GH is a bit high for Corys. A water cahnge to bring it down below 100 would be beneficial. But keeping the right parameters is a long term fix, and won't cure this cory, so bring GH down for the benefit of the other Corys.

Formalin should work but not in the dose found in commercal products. No guarantee the Aquasonic Formalin will work on lymphocystis, because it is in very low doses. It's difficult buying formalin or PP in such large doses. I suggested it, as a last ditch effort. Better to do something than nothing at all. 

Ok thank you for the advice. I’ll order some tonight, I’ve seperated it from the others in a QT tank, it seems to be fine, almost as if it doesn’t notice that it’s even there. I guess it’s not bad to have some formalin on hand incase something pops up,

Thank you again and I’ll keep you updated

One of the growths has popped, it is in the quarantine tank and is still eating and swimming fine, I was reading that the tumours probably won’t kill the fish it’s more likely to be secondary bacterial infection etc, will formalin help for that or do I need something different
Cheers

I read the same thing!

Is that the only growth (it appears like it in the picture but the wording above seems to indicate otherwise)? 

I'm sure JayC will be around later and get back to you about the question. I don't know what meds are available to you in Australia.

I really hope that the fish does recover and your perseverance is rewarded!

Simon

I read the same thing!
Is that the only growth (it appears like it in the picture but the wording above seems to indicate otherwise)? 
I'm sure JayC will be around later and get back to you about the question. I don't know what meds are available to you in Australia.
I really hope that the fish does recover and your perseverance is rewarded!
Simon

Thank you!! It has 2 other growths but they are much smaller. Hopefully (fingers crossed I can medicate it to stop secondary infection and in a month or two it can be returned back to its other fishy friends! As I said above I will keep you updated on its condition, thank you all for the advice, I’m really enjoying my time on the forum :)

10 hours ago, ryanfleming said:

One of the growths has popped, it is in the quarantine tank

Lucky it wasn't in the main tank, as the virus would have spread all over the main tank.

Change out all the water in the bucket now. The formalin and malachite green should work to prevent infections.

Lucky it wasn't in the main tank, as the virus would have spread all over the main tank.
Change out all the water in the bucket now. The formalin and malachite green should work to prevent infections.

Ok awesome! Thank you for the help, just waiting for it to arrive now

Lucky I moved it!

• Like 1

When using a lot of the meds you should 'usually' remove filter carbon etc I believe, though I don't actually know what setup you have for the quarantine tank and you may not have bothered with a filter?

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK

When using a lot of the meds you should 'usually' remove filter carbon etc I believe, though I don't actually know what setup you have for the quarantine tank and you may not have bothered with a filter?
Simon

It’s probably the nicest quarantine tank ever. I will take carbon out, thanks :)

• Like 1