Plant turning brown

Des33Rae

I got a new plant like 2 weeks ago. All my other plants are thriving, but this one seems to be dying. Lots turning yellowish/ brown from the bottom up and it just keeps getting larger patches going up. I have the lights on for about 8 hours a day. Use flourish/ flourish excel once a week. PH 7.  Any ideas?

What plant is it?

A picture of the problem would be helpful too. 

How heavily planted is the tank? This gives us an indication of whether the tank is exhausted of nutrients.

Flourish is a micro nutrient. The nutrients it provides is only needed in micro amounts. A plant will live a long time if no micro nutrients are added to the tank.

Flourish Excel is an alternate carbon source.

So what seems to be missing is Macro nutrients. That is, nutrients that are needed in large amounts. If I was to take a guess without seeing the issue, this is where I would focus on for a resolution. A plant will turn yellow and die very quickly if no Macro nutrients are added to a closed system like a fish tank.

Depending on the type of plant, it could be lacking Potassium, or maybe Nitrogen, if the plant is turning yellow. 

Just be aware that adding Potassium and nitrogen for plants will alter water parameters. So if you have shrimp or sensitive fish, you might want to adjust how much is added.

• Like 1

Yep, definitely a picture would help tremendously, if we could at least identify the plant, do you know the name of the plant that is turning brown?

Thank you very much for responding. I tried to add a picture but it wouldn't let me, said the image was too large. I do have shrimp and three guppy frybin the tank. Substrate is fluvial stratum. I'll try to figure out how to add a picture.

5 hours ago, Des33Rae said:

Thank you very much for responding. I tried to add a picture but it wouldn't let me, said the image was too large. I do have shrimp and three guppy frybin the tank. Substrate is fluvial stratum. I'll try to figure out how to add a picture.

At least provide the name, different plants have different requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure the type of plant it is. ? I tried to find a way to make the picture smaller and still won't upload image.

Can you take the plant out of the aquarium and place it into a bucket of water?

You can fertilise it outside of the tank, outdoors. 

Fertilising it in a bucket means you can give it a full dose of Macro fertilisers without altering the tank parameters. 

And having the bucket outdoors means that it gets a lot of sunlight.

If you don't know what the plant is called, even a photo might help.