Sign in to follow this  
Sawyer

Crayfish Molt Question

Sawyer

Hello everyone.

So, I'm very new to crayfish keeping, I've only had my big guy and his tank mates for a few months now. I didn't impulse buy him, no worries, a friend of my family didn't want him anymore, and if I didn't take him, he'd most likely either be released, killed, or given to someone who wouldn't care about him or his tank mates.

Anyway, his name's Sawyer, and he recently molted for the first time since I've had him! I got to watch him do it in his hide. 

But here's the question: so his old owner says he never eats the claws or the head part, and the molt's falling apart, so the head part's floating anyway..is there any way that I can keep and preserve the claws and head part so I can have them? Is that creepy? 

I'd preferably like to dry preserve them so that I can touch them and stuff, because I'm sorry they're really cool. 

Is that possible? Maybe I should look at a taxidermy forum, but I thought I'd ask here haha. xx

I'd post some pictures of the crayfish I father, but they're too big apparently, but he's a big electric blue boy. 

• Like 3

jayc

Yes drying it should work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zoidburg

I don't see how that's weird or creepy at all! Yeah, it's pretty cool! Shrimp molts usually don't hold up well once dried, but then again, I'm talking small shrimp.... larger shrimp or crays I imagine the molts should hold together better once dried and handled carefully!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sawyer
41 minutes ago, Zoidburg said:

I don't see how that's weird or creepy at all! Yeah, it's pretty cool! Shrimp molts usually don't hold up well once dried, but then again, I'm talking small shrimp.... larger shrimp or crays I imagine the molts should hold together better once dried and handled carefully!

Thank you! I asked my boyfriend about it, an he thought I was right creepy for wanting to keep it haha. Thank you! So, drying just means leaving it out of water till it's not wet, right? There's nothing else I should do to make it not rot? 

• Like 1

jayc
43 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

There's nothing else I should do to make it not rot?

You're on your own there. No one I know has attempted to keep the moult of a shrimp or crayfish.

• Like 2

Sawyer
1 hour ago, jayc said:

You're on your own there. No one I know has attempted to keep the moult of a shrimp or crayfish.

Aha I figured, I couldn't find anything online. Thanks anyway. xx

• Like 1

Jay_Walker

I used to work at the New England aquarium, and we would keep lobster and crab molts all the time for educational purposes. The sooner you can pull the molt from the tank the better. Place the molt on a paper towel and then just leave in a dry, well-ventilated area away from prying hands or paws. Sometimes it's good to place the paper towel and molt in an uncovered Tupperware dish to protect it a little more. In a couple days the connective tissue between joints, etc. will be dry and hard enough to have locked your molt in whatever position you placed it in. Obviously it is extremely fragile, but it is a super cool keepsake! I have also had success doing this with smaller molts like cleaner and fire shrimp. Do not try this with deceased animals, unless you are trying to get rid of roommates, as the stench will clear the house 🙂 

• Like 3