Can anyone tell me what this is?

supermansteve32

Hi. I recently bought some hornwart plants online. I stuck one in my tank before cleaning and there's this15760172711518443570484476200187.thumb.jpg.92facbd26d3a67b81db7721aad016794.jpg insect on it I've never seen before. Gonna try to upload video.  I've found 5 so far

SmartSelect_20191210-163905_Gallery.jpg

Gee, first time I’ve seen you totally stumped jayc! How big are these critters Steve?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They're about a cm long. I tried uploading a video but the file was too large. They have 4 legs in the front by their heads, I watched them swim and they swim with those front 4 legs so they're pretty slow. They try to blend in with the plant. I really had to pull to get them to let go

3 hours ago, Crabclaw said:

Gee, first time I’ve seen you totally stumped jayc!

That's how you know I'm not a bot.

I wonder if it is a Brachycentridae (brachycentrid caddisflies) larvae, and it has got creative with what it's sheltering in.

Look up pictures of caddis fly larva pictures and compare.

Edited by jayc
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, supermansteve32 said:

They're about a cm long. I tried uploading a video but the file was too large. They have 4 legs in the front by their heads, I watched them swim and they swim with those front 4 legs so they're pretty slow. They try to blend in with the plant. I really had to pull to get them to let go

Creepy!

31 minutes ago, jayc said:

That's how you know I'm not a bot.

I wonder if it is a Brachycentridae (brachycentrid caddisflies) larvae, and it has got creative with what it's sheltering in.

Look up pictures of caddis fly larva pictures and compare.

Thought they might be a fly or damselfly/dragonfly larvae.

• Thanks 1

Another vote for caddisfly??? I always forget what they're called, but they do build homes for thesemlves which help them blend in and protect them from predators.

• Like 1

It's not a damselfly larvae or Dragon fly larvae. They don't look like that.

Have you caught it yet?

If you catch it, see it the long green part is a plant the larvae is hiding in.

If you can separate the green part from the larvae, it's a caddis fly. 

Now I'm all curious to find out what it is.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

It is strange. When I grab one they shrink into the shell/exoskeleton. I can pinch the tip a little and it feels like plastic. If it is a shell they made from their environment all there ones I've seen have the same source. When they swim it does look like it's a kind id worm inside the shell. I've attached a picture of one in the shell. 20191211_214724.thumb.jpg.fca518ef1cf942155149bb0def423916.jpg

20191211_214719.jpg

• Like 1