Trying to breed the blue-bodied red rili

Chiquarius

Hello,

I read somewhere that if you cross blue dream or blue believer/jelly shrimp with red rilis, you can end up with similar offspring, with a few red rilis who have blue bodies. I thought this very cool and began to attempt it myself. I put 10 blue dreams with 5 red rilis.

However, I’m finding the offspring phenotypes throwing all over the place. I’m getting mostly clear/dark gray wild types, browns, some blues, some reds, even yellows. Most are too small to make out.

Has anybody tried this? Maybe this only works with blue velvets. Maybe my shrimp didn’t have ‘pure’ phenotypes to begin with.

Should I scrap it and just separate the mature red rilis and blue dreams? Or, could I ideally achieve a few blue bodies reds that would eventually breed true (or at least  stay within red-blue spectrum)?

Oops. Somehow text recognition corrected Blue Dream to Blue Believer. I meant to say I’ve got blue dream shrimp.

Please let me know if anyone has experience crossbreedig these two.

I've heard "success" with blue velvets and red rilis... however, there was still a high cull rate and the line hadn't been stabilized.

Not sure if it's possible using other blues however I would suggest seeing what you do get out of the mix and seeing if any of that is worth keeping and breeding on. I've heard that blue dream and bloody mary can also produce some interesting mixes, but again, you will need to cull from the population of the ones you don't want breeding on.

Maybe best to have a cull tank to see what grows up in there?

Cool. Thanks.

I remembered I was inspired by a thread from Barbanatas on the forum showing pictures of their awesome red blue rilis that arose.

Perhaps I was mislead thinking blue dreams would do this and blue Velvet is the line I should use. Well I have a new smaller tank I suppose I will use as my cull tank for this experiment and cull heavily. I think I’ll get one of those tank dividers to separate most of my mature blue dreams and red rilis, just to keep those genes separate.