Shrimp micrococci

MJQMJQ

Some of the fire red shrimp has micrococci and when it dies the shell has black spots.This is the second time it has happened after I restocked with new shrimp and the first time it wiped all the shrimps out except one.Could it have come along with the new shrimp because I had cleaned out the tank.Is micrococci equal to muscular necrosis??I realised it will spread.Any shrimp that eats the dead counterparts infected with it will also be infected.I know that these shrimps come from Malaysia.I have heard treatment is tetracycline or baytril but we also have pretty strict restrictions here in singapore and hence I can only turn to aquarium medicines.Will any medicine that treats internal bacteria work?Thanks.

Micrococci is a group of bacteria. So look in the thread for treatments on bacteria.

Also read the Rust spot / Brown spot disease post as that is related and references Oregano oil (carvacol).

Oregano oil (carvacol) is a new bacterial treatment that has shown great effectiveness and compatibility with shrimp.

I would suggest trying Oregano oil (carvacol) first. Follow the instructions in that Rust spot disease post.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 3

@MJQMJQ,

I realise you are from Singapore, so just in case you need more info on Carvacrol (Oregano oil) ...

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=oregano+oil+carvacrol&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=oregano+oil

You can buy this in liquid or capsule form. Make sure you pick the liquid form. 

Look in health food shops. In Aus, we have these health food shops that sell vitamins and organic foods. That's the type of shop I'd start looking in. 

They are not cheap. It's $40+ AUD for a very small bottle here. 

If you can't find it in local shops have a look online, the link above shows you what you should be getting. 86% Carvacrol or 65%.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 11:18 PM, sdlTBfanUK said:

You can try looking through here:

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/5052-shrimp-diseases-and-diagnosis/

I am not familiar with that disease, maybe we don't have that here, but there will likely be some with good advice on here later?

Is it possible for you to attach a photo here in the meantime!

Simon

Eh I throw away my shrimp whenever I spot any symptoms.In the later stages, their gills can be seen working doubly hard.Ah I see.I went to have a look at the pet shop and pretty much every medicine did not list their ingredients and whether it was shrimp safe.Therefore I didnt buy.Yep I was thinking of making it myself but it will be less pure.

Errr I throw them away once I see them with the disease.In the later stages they move little and their gills work very hard.

15 hours ago, jayc said:

@MJQMJQ,

I realise you are from Singapore, so just in case you need more info on Carvacrol (Oregano oil) ...

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=oregano+oil+carvacrol&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=oregano+oil

You can buy this in liquid or capsule form. Make sure you pick the liquid form. 

Look in health food shops. In Aus, we have these health food shops that sell vitamins and organic foods. That's the type of shop I'd start looking in. 

They are not cheap. It's $40+ AUD for a very small bottle here. 

If you can't find it in local shops have a look online, the link above shows you what you should be getting. 86% Carvacrol or 65%.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Im looking at buying fresh oregano leaves then putting in a glass jar filled as much as i can with the leaves and then boiling water to distill out the oil.It seems like I contained the disease for now no more new cases or deaths.It would probably be less pure but should be ok.

Just one question:Wont the oil float on top of the water?I thought oils and water dont mix so how does it work?

And thanks for the suggestion on oregano oil.I also didnt see any baytril or tetracycline at pharmacies.I think they're prescription drugs.

Edited by MJQMJQ
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MJQMJQ said:

Im really wondering if the disease came along with the shrimp from the farms

Most likely from the farms.

The Oregano oil is not like cooking oil. It should mix in with the water enough to combat the bacteria.

If you have air bubbles or a filter outlet breaking the surface, that is probably the most ideal.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Most likely from the farms.

The Oregano oil is not like cooking oil. It should mix in with the water enough to combat the bacteria.

If you have air bubbles or a filter outlet breaking the surface, that is probably the most ideal.

Thanks!For now I have a sponge filter but will upgrade to HOB because the flow is too weak.

• Like 1

At least I now know what to do if it ever comes back!My remaining abt 10-20 shrimps are healthy now.One random death but not due to micrococci as no black spots on shell.;)

• Like 1