Aquarium Plants

Perry

G'day,

My daughter has given me a 3' Aquarium with plants.  I would very much appreciate it if somebody could verify the plants. There is a heap of Java Moss?  Some beautiful & Green some, more Yellow than green. Please could somebody tell me what I need to do to grow all the plant so it will all be green.  I will put a small amount in my Shrimp Tank.  The other plant I think is Amazon Sword ? Correct?

Cheers Perry

PLANT.jpg

PLANT 1.jpg

PLANT 2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perry said:

Java Moss?

It's a moss of some variety, but it's not easy identifying what type of moss when it's all bunched up like that.

Java Moss is the most common, so if I was to guess, that's what it is. Moss will grow any where. You can just drop it onto the bottom of the tank, anchor it to a drift wood or rock, or wedge it between ornaments so it doesn't float around.

Not quite sure what the other plant is.

It could be an Amazon Echinodorus Bleheri sword or a Cryptocoryne Wendtii.

The one with brown/yellow spots is a very unhealthy specimen due to nutrient deficiency.

If you set up the new tank and let it run with no livestock in it, you can treat the plants with lots of light and Macro fertilisers.  The old leaves cannot be saved, but new leaves should be green again.

Look for aquarium fertilisers that are labelled Macro or contain Potassium and Phosphate. A fert with Iron and trace elements won't hurt either. An All-In-One fertiliser should have Potassium, Phosphate, Iron and trace elements, so look out for that.

Just make sure you change out the water before adding any shrimps in. We don't want to add shrimps into a tank that has too much ferts, as that will have a wildly different water parameter that the shrimps prefer.

• Like 1

G'day jayc,

Many thank for your informative reply.

I have looked on eBay and found this Macro Plant Fertilizer.  Would you recommend this if not could you tell me another you would suggest I purchase.

Cheers Perry

Fertilizer.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Perry said:

Macro Plant Fertilizer

Yep, that's perfect. You add the dry powder mix to 500ml of water to dissolve it.

Dose is 1ml per 40L.

You can double the dose if there are no shrimps or fish in the tank.

• Like 1

Thank you jayc,

I have ordered some fertilizer.  I will use the empty 3' tank for the Moss with nothing else until I see that the Moss is growing and has improved  The sick looking Amazon Sword plant I have put in my 5' Aquarium with my fish.  I will double the dose for the Moss tank and single dose with the fish and other plants.

I really appreciate you help.

Cheers Perry

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Perry said:

I will double the dose for the Moss tank

If it's only moss in the tank, then you don't need to double dose. Moss don't need much fertiliser. 

• Like 1

Most of the plant in the first picture looks like Java fern and it grows like a weed, literally, I am forever throwing some out. The rhizome (horizontal stick) shouldn't be below the surface of the soil though  I have it in all my tanks. Some is even just floating about in the tank. I use soil substrate and have never needed ferts of any kind but as JayC says there is no harm in a tank without shrimps?

What substrate and shrimp will you be getting?

Simon

G'day Simon,

Thank you for your reply.

I cannot understand why if Java Moss is so quick and easy to grow.  It is expensive to buy. I already have Red Cherry & Blue Cherry Shrimps. I am soon going to get some Yellow ones.The Substrate I have is Black Sand and ADA Amazonia. I also placed small walnut size stones in one corner so that the shrimps can hide.

Cheers Perry1909860007_JavaMoss.JPG.770634e496eedd5c13c5fd36591b5de8.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Perry said:

I cannot understand why if Java Moss is so quick and easy to grow.  It is expensive to buy.

People will try to make money off anything.

All you need is a little sprig of java moss and it will grow in any tank. You will soon be throwing out the overgrown moss you will have in the tank. When that happens, give it away to a fellow aquarist. That's how I got mine. Someone gave me a handful.

• Like 1