Travelling & Postage

Perry

G'day,

I now have Red Cherry Shrimps that are breeding and doing well.  I have recently purchased some Blues. I hope that they will breed soon.  I have seen Yellows advertised in the Gold Coast where my daughter live. As a matter of interest. The Gold Coast is over a five hour drive from Maryborough.  If I asked my daughter to purchase some shrimp on the day she is leaving to visit me.  Would they survive the journey?  What would I need to do?  Also I have seen Yellows advertised in Sydney.  I have a friend that lives in Sydney. I see that in the U K that you can post Shrimps.  A Parcel from Sydney would take three days by post.  Would I be able to do that?

Cheers Perry 

• Like 2

I am UK and it is very easy to get through the post here as we are a small country so there isn't a problem getting them the next day! I am sure in the US they must send via the mail and I imagine in takes a few days as it would in Australia and I don't even know if they allow it there?

The ones we get through the post come in the fish breathable bags with a bit of mesh or weed for the shrimp to cling on, that is packed with newspaper or polystyrene (in winter there is a heater pad added) and packed in a box so fairly basic/easy but it usually will arrive in less than 24 hours here.

If someone is transporting them personally then I would use a tupperware container or old plastic ice cream tub, put a bit of plastic mesh or weed in it for the shrimps to cling too in 2 inches max of water and you should be ok! I doubt in your climate the temperature will be a problem and assume they will be in a warm car anyway? 

Simon

@Perry,

the 5 hour drive time from GC to Maryborough is absolutely doable.

Even the 12hr+ from Syd to Maryborough is doable.

This is what I would do ... instructions you want to pass onto to whomever is driving it up for you (your daughter or friend).

- Buy the shrimps on the day of travel. Preferably in the morning.

- Ask the shopkeeper to pack it into a larger than normal bag with more water. They would usually give you a small bag since shrimp are small. But we want to have more water in the bag for the long journey. More water means slower ammonia build up in the bag, and more dissolved oxygen.

- put it into an Esky or equivalent styrofoam container. -> to keep the heat out. We are heading into summer, and temps can get quite high in cars. QLD is probably already hot, so all the more to transport them in an esky/foam container.

- Place a bottle of frozen water (600ml or so) in with the esky or foam container. Just make sure it doesn't roll around in there too much and smashes up the bag of shrimp. This bottle of frozen water will keep the interior of the esky cool enough for the shrimp during the journey. You can be creative with how you secure the bottle from squashing the bag of shrimps here. Rolled up towel, foam, bubble wrap ...

- drive safely to destination. That's it really. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

G'day jayc,

Thank you so much for the very useful information.  I looks like I will be able to purchase some Yellow Shrimps soon.

Much appreciated.

Cheers Perry

• Like 2

G'day Simon in the U K,

Thank you for your reply.  It is great to know I will be able to get other Shrimps from other towns.

As for warm cars.  Yes we have not only warm cars but extremely hot.  All cars now have Air Conditioning to keep you cool.

My friend came out from England in Mid Summer. He could no understand why Tradies were working in the 32c heat.  I told him  I think that they would prefer that, to working in -5c in the snow..

Cheers Perry 

• Like 1