Remineralizing distilled water

Razzy

My tap water has too much nitrates out of the tap @40ppm and I'm cycling a new 20 gallon long tank for some shrimp.

Can I use distilled water and to remineralizing it I have aqueon shrimp essentials which lists ingredients as water, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, potassium iodide, inositol, micellized vitamin D3, strontium chloride, iron EDTA, artificial color.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Razzy said:

Can I use distilled water and to remineralizing it I have aqueon shrimp essentials

You can use distilled water and remineralise with that Aqueon shrimp essentials as a temporary measure while cycling.

Aqueon shrimp essentials isn't specifically a RO water remineraliser. It will almost certainly not have the right ratio of Calcium to Magnesium. Aqueon shrimp essentials is designed to replenish the minerals you listed that has depleted in a tank. You would have to use a lot more than recommended to maintain the right GH, KH, pH and TDS. Which is okay for the calcium and magnesium ingredients, but it will mean adding too much of the other ingredients of potassium chloride, potassium iodide, inositol, micellized vitamin D3, strontium chloride, iron EDTA, artificial color. (Not sure why they would need to add artificial colour).

It will be fine while you are cycling the tank. But start looking for a proper remineraliser for shrimps. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jayc said:

You can use distilled water and remineralise with that Aqueon shrimp essentials as a temporary measure while cycling.

Aqueon shrimp essentials isn't specifically a RO water remineraliser. It will almost certainly not have the right ratio of Calcium to Magnesium. Aqueon shrimp essentials is designed to replenish the minerals you listed that has depleted in a tank. You would have to use a lot more than recommended to maintain the right GH, KH, pH and TDS. Which is okay for the calcium and magnesium ingredients, but it will mean adding too much of the other ingredients of potassium chloride, potassium iodide, inositol, micellized vitamin D3, strontium chloride, iron EDTA, artificial color. (Not sure why they would need to add artificial colour).

It will be fine while you are cycling the tank. But start looking for a proper remineraliser for shrimps. 

Then I guess I'll buy the salty shrimp gh/kh + ? Or is something like seachem equilibrium okay?

How should I proceed with no livestock in my tank atm, just plants, while it is still cycling for a month and a half? 

Should I continue to use tap water and dose ammonia or really empty it and use distilled during cycling ??

Edited by Razzy
  • Like 1

I would go with salty shrimp or dennerle do one as well? There is probably little point remineralising the water whilst you don't have any livestock anyway, unless I am missing something! I would have thought just dechlorinated tap water whilst cycling?

If you want a really easy water filter jug then you can get a zerowater jug almost anywhere really cheaply in the US as that is where the company is based,. I am in UK and have used it for years, it produces the equivalent of RO water the easy way!

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=zerowater

It does take a while to filter so may be a bit less convenient for larger tanks?

Simon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Razzy said:

salty shrimp gh/kh +

Yes that is best. If you plan to keep Neo Caridina (eg cherry shrimp) or Tiger shrimp than pick Salty Shrimp GH/KH+.

But if you plan on keeping Caridina shrimp like CRS, CBS, Taiwan bees than pick "Salty Shrimp GH+" (no KH).

9 hours ago, Razzy said:

seachem equilibrium

Seachem Equilibrium is better suited to for fish tanks. So go with Salty Shrimp GH/KH+

9 hours ago, Razzy said:

should I proceed with no livestock in my tank atm, just plants, while it is still cycling for a month and a half? 

Yes. Always cycle with no livestock when ever possible. 

9 hours ago, Razzy said:

Should I continue to use tap water and dose ammonia or really empty it and use distilled during cycling ??

Tap water is fine for cycling. If you use plain aquarium gravel or sand, dose ammonia during your cycling.

If you have planted substrate, the substrate releases enough ammonia to cycle new tanks.

After cycling is complete, you empty the tank and refill with distilled or RO water, remineralise it to the right parameters for the shrimp you are planning on keeping. No use wasting distilled water during the cycling period. And tap water has the right parameters for the beneficial bacteria growth during cycling. Just don't forget to dechlorinate the tap water.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I would go with salty shrimp or dennerle do one as well? There is probably little point remineralising the water whilst you don't have any livestock anyway, unless I am missing something! I would have thought just dechlorinated tap water whilst cycling?

If you want a really easy water filter jug then you can get a zerowater jug almost anywhere really cheaply in the US as that is where the company is based,. I am in UK and have used it for years, it produces the equivalent of RO water the easy way!

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=zerowater

It does take a while to filter so may be a bit less convenient for larger tanks?

Simon

I was trying to lower the nitrate because someone told me it could've stalling my cycle?

My ammonia and nitrites were converting withing 48 hours or less but started to take longer and was told my nitrates could be the cause.

So after finally getting to testing my tap water and finding out about the high nitrate reading I'm just worried about what to do during cycling now. I already purchased some king shrimp gh/kh+ and it's on the way.

4 hours ago, jayc said:

Yes that is best. If you plan to keep Neo Caridina (eg cherry shrimp) or Tiger shrimp than pick Salty Shrimp GH/KH+.

But if you plan on keeping Caridina shrimp like CRS, CBS, Taiwan bees than pick "Salty Shrimp GH+" (no KH).

Seachem Equilibrium is better suited to for fish tanks. So go with Salty Shrimp GH/KH+

Yes. Always cycle with no livestock when ever possible. 

Tap water is fine for cycling. If you use plain aquarium gravel or sand, dose ammonia during your cycling.

If you have planted substrate, the substrate releases enough ammonia to cycle new tanks.

After cycling is complete, you empty the tank and refill with distilled or RO water, remineralise it to the right parameters for the shrimp you are planning on keeping. No use wasting distilled water during the cycling period. And tap water has the right parameters for the beneficial bacteria growth during cycling. Just don't forget to dechlorinate the tap water.

Ordered some salty shrimp gh/kh + and it's on the way!

I was just concerned about cycling because someone said my high nitrates could be stalling my cycle? What do I test after adding salty shrimp to see if the parameters are correct?

I have a liquid master test kit, a gh/kh test kit but I do not have a tds meter atm. I did order one and it'll take a while to get to me tho.

Are the minerals that get added from salty shrimp sufficient for fish as well? I wanted to add some micro fish/otocinclus eventually down the line.

Edited by Razzy
  • Like 1

If your tap water contains nitrates and or nitrite the makers of the zerowater say the filter removes 74% and 83% respectively if that helps?? This filter will lower the PH though so bare that in mind, but I believe the GH/KH+ should bring the PH back to where you want it, though I have never used GH/KH+ so cannot guarantee this, but RO water PH is usually low so I assume that is a feature of the product!  

The GH/KH+ are minerals/salts for the shrimp and don't have any affect on cycling that I know of?

I have fish with my cherry shrimp and they are fine together.

The parameters for cherry shrimp are TDS 150 - 250, GH 6 - 8, KH 1 - 4, PH 6.5 - 7.5.

Unfortunately I am not very accomplished with cycling a tank so will have to leave others to advise on those specifics!

Simon

8 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

If your tap water contains nitrates and or nitrite the makers of the zerowater say the filter removes 74% and 83% respectively if that helps?? This filter will lower the PH though so bare that in mind, but I believe the GH/KH+ should bring the PH back to where you want it, though I have never used GH/KH+ so cannot guarantee this, but RO water PH is usually low so I assume that is a feature of the product!  

The GH/KH+ are minerals/salts for the shrimp and don't have any affect on cycling that I know of?

I have fish with my cherry shrimp and they are fine together.

The parameters for cherry shrimp are TDS 150 - 250, GH 6 - 8, KH 1 - 4, PH 6.5 - 7.5.

Unfortunately I am not very accomplished with cycling a tank so will have to leave others to advise on those specifics!

Simon

I have a 20 gallon long, I'm trying to figure out how many scoops of gh/kh+ to use and how to test it. 

I'm buying distilled water since my tap sucks. What is the dosage for the powder? And do I just measure to get something close to what cherry shrimp parameters are suggested?

How do I do water changes with the minerals? Or is just top offs what I should do? Just straight distilled or add some salty?

• Like 1

This is where the TDS meter will come in handy and make things easy. (And part of the reason we recommend shrimp keepers get one).

With a TDS meter you just add enough of the dissolved mix into the tank (or water change) until it reaches 150TDS as measured with the TDS meter.

Without a TDS meter, just follow the instructions and dosage below:

Instructions of use
Mix with water outside of the aquarium. Shrimp Mineral dissolves almost completely within seconds, and the water is ready for use at once. Please make sure that any undissolved particles go into your tank, too. Close container after every use at once as this mineral salt absorbs moisture.

Dosage
Use Shrimp Mineral to re-mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. to reach a total hardness of about 6 GH and/or a conductance of about 300 +/- 50 uS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 2 g) to 10 litres (2.2Gallon) of water is sufficient.

While not as accurate without a TDS meter, it will get close. You can always adjust the TDS reading after you get your TDS meter.

1 hour ago, Razzy said:

How do I do water changes with the minerals? Or is just top offs what I should do? Just straight distilled or add some salty?

Weekly water changes of 10% as per normal, with the new water adjusted to 150 TDS with SS GH/KH+.

If it is particularly hot and you notice the water level of the tank dropping, you top off with pure RO or Distilled water, no remineralising needed.

In summary,

• Water Change = Add SS GH/KH+.
  • Top Off = straight distilled.

• Like 1