Driftwood & Plant

Perry

G'day,

I was advised to put some Amazon Sword plant in my tank.  I purchased a piece of Driftwood with a Plant attached. I asked the very young lady in the Aquarium Shop what the plant was. She replied " I think it is Amazon Sword." I have taken a photo. Please could you tell me if it is Amazon Sword if not what is it. Is this O K for my Shrimp Tank.<

Cheers Perry  

Plant.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Perry, 

from that angle it doesn’t look like an amazon sword. Swords generally have quite tall leaves. Does yours? 
It could be an anubias of a larger variety. Generally they are sold on driftwood or rocks. Could you give us a side angle?

Nearly all plants are fine for shrimp tanks, so no need to remove it.

Edited by Crabclaw
  • Like 1

G'day Crabclaw,

Thank you for your quick reply. This is a photo from the side.  I hope that is helpful.

Cheers Perry

Side View.jpg

• Like 1

What you have there is an Anubias. Looks like an Anubias Barteri var.

I suggested a Sword plant for it's fast growth characteristics to combat algae. Unfortunately, the Anubias is the complete opposite, it's a very slow growing plant.

If you like it, keep it in the tank. But if not, return it to the shop stating that you were given the wrong info by them and sold the wrong item and you would like to exchange it with an Amazon Sword (or one of the other variety of plants I suggested). Almost anything growing on drift wood will be an Anubias. Swords grow in the substrate/gravel. That's probably a distinguishing feature between Anubias and Amazon Swords.

Amazon swords (Echinodorus Bleheri) look like this

image.jpeg.0678d4bbece02f3241b31d6bc79ca558.jpeg

image.jpeg.45c47aa7866802a6c9375a4c7de9e944.jpeg

Amazon sword var Echinodorus amazonicus looks like this...

Image result for Echinodorus amazonicus

image.jpeg.1ee33ec2a10323645a3f4cc1fb48252e.jpeg

• Like 1

It looks like it is in a very small tank so it may be better to have it as it is slow growing and so will be low maintenance? It looks a nice plant!

Simon