Sign in to follow this  
Crabby

My 110 L Community Tank

Crabby

Ooh BBS is that 100% necessary? If I can get through without it I'd like to. Feeding frozen BBS, frozen cyclops, algae wafers (they crumble fantastically under water) and hikari first bites at the moment. They're also probably eating loads of micro life and stuff in the mulm. I can probably hatch baby brine for a little bit though.

Also jayc what do you think, seperate or let the parents raise? 

Cheers fellas. 

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

I have a friend that hatches BBS so it must be fairly easy (I have not tried it), so maybe give it a go for the start to give the baby fish the best start then move on to other food? I guess there is no difference than frozen brine shrimp though!

I have never had baby fish, but feed all my fish baby fish food anyway as they are small fish. I think it is the same as normal fish food just powder! I dip a pln into the tank to wet it, then into the powder food quickly, then swirl the pin in the tank to feed the fish!

Simon

• Like 1

jayc

In the first few weeks BBS is essential. It's not the same as Frozen BBS. The wriggling movements of newly hatched BBS attracts them to eat. You can try frozen, but you'll find them ignoring it, and the leftovers will just rot.

• Like 1

Crabby

Okay. Do I just buy some sort of kit or something, is it easy? I’ll get something set up over the weekend hopefully. Thanks for the heads up jayc!

• Like 1

jayc
8 hours ago, Crabby said:

Do I just buy some sort of kit or something, is it easy?

Don't buy one!

If you already have an air pump, then you are 90% there equipment wise. Save that money for the BBS eggs.

Google "DIY brine shrimp hatchery" and follow creation of one using a 2L soft drink bottle.

It should include instructions on how to hatch the eggs too. 

The first 2 weeks are critical. If they survive and eat BBS, then you can start introducing other foods. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sdlTBfanUK

My betta won't touch frozen or dried daphnia, but gets so excited with live daphnia! As JayC says it must be the natural hunting instinct in them?

Ebay and amazon usually sell the brine shrimp eggs, usually with the salt as well.

Simon 

Crabby

Yeah grabbed some soft drink this arvo, gonna head down to lfs tomorrow and grab some bbs for the time being, will order amazon after for a longer term supply. @jayc should I only need one bottle? And how long should I plan to run it? I only have one air pump and it's on my 5 gal right now. I'll purchase one if need be though, spares are always great to have around. (Post note: Could I just split it from the output of the air pump? I might do that actually.)

Cheers

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Splitting it makes more sense as long as you can disconnect or switch off the line that you aren't using when you aren't keeping the BBS!

Having said that though, if it is easy enough to do you can probably do it permanently as even adult fish will enjoy chasing any live food?

Simon

• Like 1

jayc
4 hours ago, Crabby said:

should I only need one bottle? And how long should I plan to run it? I only have one air pump and it's on my 5 gal right now. I'll purchase one if need be though, spares are always great to have around. (Post note: Could I just split it from the output of the air pump? I might do that actually.)

One bottle should be enough for now, it just means you start one up immediately after harvesting the BBS.

Run it for as long as you need to, usually till the fry accept powdered foods.

Splitting the air hose is the way to go. You just need one of these T pieces.

Useful Fish 10 PCS 4mm White Plastic Tee Bubble stone Air ...

or

Aliexpress.com : Buy Outside Dia. 3/4"(25mm) ~ 38mm(1 1/2 ...

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey folks!
      So I got myself a little 5 gallon (20L) recently (it was free!) to use for quarantine. I’m going to use it to qt some cory cats and maybe some tetras or gouramis for my community tank. The thing is, I’ve got it set up really nicely in my room and I want to have it actually stocked. I definitely don’t want a betta, but I found some super cute guppies on gumtree (Wild Thai Orchid) that I can never find locally. How many guppies do u think I could get in the tank?? The seller only has 4 pairs, so is selling in pairs but not trios, so that could have an affect on the amount. I also plan on adding shrimp, either of a neo or caridina variety, or native - like dae or chameleons. 
      So my questions are: how many guppies could go in the tank (assuming they breed and I keep the babies in with them for about a month each time), could I fit in anything else (with a pair or 4), like a couple of chilli rasboras or rocket killies, and will the shrimps be enough for a cleanup crew, or should I add an Otto or something?
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey all.
      So, I'm getting some cory cats in the near future, and I want to know if I need to quarantine them. I know a guy at my lfs really well, and I trust the store, so I might be able to get them to hold and quarantine them for me for a week. I'd prefer to just add them straight to the tank if it's possible though. If not, then I can sort a qt tank soon.
      Thanks in advance
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp.
      https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp
      Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable! 
      Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁
      (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page)
      post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.
      The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.
      For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.
      But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.
      Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• edishrimp
      Thanks! Decided my current setup is good enough in terms of aeration since my sponge filter is connected to an air pump cranked all the way up. The outlet of the sponge filter is also in the flow of the canister so that should help generate more surface agitation Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • jayc
      That's exactly how I would start with selective breeding for higher quality. Separate as many good shrimp as you can into another tank. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      My 'thing' is variety so I would just remove ones that I'm not keen on, or if I get too many of one/lower grade and need to reduce numbers! With all taiwan bee types you never get the boring natural types you get with neocaridina over time! I guess if I was to want to concentrate on one grade I would get a smaller additional tank and put those shrimp in that and just keep moving them from tanks, to the right tank as and when they appear as babies but of the wrong grade for the tank they are in, if that makes sense, and you still have the mixed tank to enjoy. I don't know how you tell what genes the shrimp are carrying or what the offspring will look like thats too advanced for me? Simon
    • Lizzy
      Thanks Simon and jayc.  I have several grades and patterns amongst the CRS. How do you guys think I should go about more selective breeding? Pick a quality I like then separate a few that have that quality?  Lizzy
    • smicko
      as long as you have good surface movement you will have plenty of oxygen. air stones and venturi setups don't put extra oxygen in the tank as the bubbles are too big, all gas exchange happens at the surface. The only exception is if you run c02, you need no surface movement and the plants provide oxygen.