Bamboo Shrimp or not?

Cris Car

D8B19E35-A592-4AD8-B748-0B480C757245.thumb.jpeg.540beff80c32ef94c263d0da83a3ee7d.jpegShrimp newbie here. I just got some shrimp for my moderate flowing community tank with plenty of plants, moss and hides. The shrimp I purchased from a reputable store and were labelled as bamboo shrimp and look generally as one would expect however now that I am getting a better and longer second look at them none of them have the pale stripe on their back that I had thought was a major species characteristic. Is the stripe more subtle or absent with certain colorations? These shrimp are 1.5-2 inches and greenish brown . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cris Car said:

Is the stripe more subtle or absent with certain colorations?

Bamboo shrimps don't necessarily have to have the racing stripe, some don't. Did they have the stripe before you bought them while they were still in the store's tanks?

They could also loose colouration during stressed times. And it looks like they have just been transported in your photo, still in the bag you bought them in. 

Give them some time to settle in your tank and wait for their colour to return. Having said that the top right shrimp in your photo might have that distinctive white stripe. Anyway, just let them settle in your tank and look again once they are settled. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your response. The tank they were in at the store was mounted relatively high up so I can’t say that I ever got a super good look at them from above, as opposed to from the side, and had called ahead to confirm they had them so it was a pretty quick transaction. 

• Like 1