Jump to content
Elkwatcher

Hoping to start a Colony

Recommended Posts

Elkwatcher

New Reds and hoping to see some shrimplet's soon.  Not a shrimp only tank... what are the chances with 6 Pygmy Cory and 8 Embers as tank mates?

It's well planted, has driftwood and a Paradise Nut.

GH 6-7    KH- 5     PH 7.5   Temp 76F  Cuttlebone.  Established Tank with bio film on the back walls.

Do I need any additives that might help?   ie Salty Shrimp Minerals?

  1636830945_NewRedCherrycopy.jpg.ec75a9fdf7e4a652da0e77fbae8c3109.jpg

 

 

Cherry_Shrimp_Bowl_April.thumb.jpg.702e402f6cd63bd3bfbfa0ed69c122f5.jpg

 

13804875_RedCherryShrimp.jpg.b66eb658f82fcb5b854febd7ce84c98d.jpg

 

1674922675_ShrimpTankRescape*****.thumb.jpg.c650feab6894fbb75a7eae9a9eaa2e1f.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sdlTBfanUK

More great photos!

Those parameters look pretty ok to me? Maybe some Indian almond leaves as shrimps like the biofilm that grows on them and the tanins are good for them? If there aren't too many shrimps then there is probably enough biofilm for the shrimplets?

I have ember and a few neon tetras with my red cherrys and they have lived together for 5+ years. I'm sure the odd baby shrimp gets eaten but they are good at hiding and can move very quickly when scared, they flick their tail and vanish. The mother will probably have them somewhere safe and they may not move far from there for a few weeks so it may be a while before you see them, but don't panic if you don't see them for a while........ As they are so tiny usually you see them first on the biofilm on the glass.

There are baby foods for shrimp but they may not be suited to a bigger tank because the babys don't travel far from where they are born? I don't bother with this for my cherry shrimp, they are very neglected but survive well all the same, though 80% are now brown or clear, not many reds left?

There is a product called Bacter AE which most shrimp keepers use which helps with growing biofilm and is supposed to help with young shrimps.

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crabclaw

Incredible photos again, in terms of the fish I have a school of 20 embers with my shrimp, and have never seen an interaction between them. No interest in hunting from the embers whatsoever. It may just be my group though, you’ll have to gage yours.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Elkwatcher

Thank you Simon, I will have to order the Bacter AE online.  I dehydrated a few bunches of organic Kale and powered it with my mortar and pestle.  Going to try my own shrimp food treats using recipe from Marks Shrimp Tanks.  There is an abundance of wild treats in the back yard such as Beech leaves, nettles, Maple, Alder, dandelions, blackberry leaves.  All my tanks have Catappa leaves in them as well as Alder cones.  I had molting issues with the last batch of shrimp after having them for almost 6 months.  No one berried.  

The last "mosquito larvae" I saw floating around turned out to be Giant Danio fry, as I stole some substrate from them to start the shrimp tank.  A surprise to say the least  but now I have a school of 8 in my 50 gallon!

Trish 

53 minutes ago, Crabclaw said:

Incredible photos again, in terms of the fish I have a school of 20 embers with my shrimp, and have never seen an interaction between them. No interest in hunting from the embers whatsoever. It may just be my group though, you’ll have to gage yours.

@Crabclaw  That's good to know.  I've been told the Pygmy Cory's might go after little ones though... I'm hoping not as they are little character fish and add a lot of entertainment to the tank. 😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lots of shrimplets
On 11/2/2019 at 4:28 PM, sdlTBfanUK said:

More great photos!

Those parameters look pretty ok to me? Maybe some Indian almond leaves as shrimps like the biofilm that grows on them and the tanins are good for them? If there aren't too many shrimps then there is probably enough biofilm for the shrimplets?

I have ember and a few neon tetras with my red cherrys and they have lived together for 5+ years. I'm sure the odd baby shrimp gets eaten but they are good at hiding and can move very quickly when scared, they flick their tail and vanish. The mother will probably have them somewhere safe and they may not move far from there for a few weeks so it may be a while before you see them, but don't panic if you don't see them for a while........ As they are so tiny usually you see them first on the biofilm on the glass.

There are baby foods for shrimp but they may not be suited to a bigger tank because the babys don't travel far from where they are born? I don't bother with this for my cherry shrimp, they are very neglected but survive well all the same, though 80% are now brown or clear, not many reds left?

There is a product called Bacter AE which most shrimp keepers use which helps with growing biofilm and is supposed to help with young shrimps.

Simon

Hi Simon, 

Your problem with your reds your not culling the unwanted colour shrimp to keep a nice red line. When I say culling I don't mean killing, I mean removing from the breeding tank to another tank where you don't mind the off colours or selling/donating to local fish shop. Good luck shrimp keeping. 🦐 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sdlTBfanUK

I have been distracted with the taiwan bees and pretty much ignored the red cherry so you are entirely correct. The problem now is that the moss and plants are so dense and the clear/brown shrimp are so difficult to see!

I was thinking the other day that maybe I should restock some reds and fish out the boring ones which I may do soon, though the only real solution would be to start the tank afresh, which I wont be doing? Some of the browns with the stripe along the back I quite like as well.

Simon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lots of shrimplets
1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I have been distracted with the taiwan bees and pretty much ignored the red cherry so you are entirely correct. The problem now is that the moss and plants are so dense and the clear/brown shrimp are so difficult to see!

I was thinking the other day that maybe I should restock some reds and fish out the boring ones which I may do soon, though the only real solution would be to start the tank afresh, which I wont be doing? Some of the browns with the stripe along the back I quite like as well.

Simon 

It all depends what you like, don't let anyone say you must have red, really red. I'm trying to breed blue red rili atm. They are coming out with alsorts of lovely shrimp. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sdlTBfanUK

I have my eye on red sakura (?) from proshrimp, they are cheap and a good colour, if I order some taiwan bee I will get some red cherry at the same time! I like yellows but I think they would be too much of a distraction from the fish? It is my oldest and therefore most neglected tank and has tetras as the main attraction! 

If I get some new shrimps I will try and fish out lots of the boring browns/clears and put those in the betta tank. My main focus at present is the betta and the taiwan bee shrimps (not in the same tanks obviously)!

I had celestial Pearl Danios years ago!

Simon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zoidburg

Just a word of caution on the Bacter AE... the spoon it comes with is considered over-dosing to most people who use it... and if a tank doesn't have enough aeration, can cause shrimp deaths. Many people I see who use this product tend to under-dose it to prevent deaths although one person had to completely stop using it entirely.

 

You may want to try and stick with an algae/vegetable based diet (great idea with the kale!) and add in protein occasionally... which may come in the form of fish food? (since it is a mixed tank...)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sdlTBfanUK

I use less of most things in reality than recommended by the manufacturers!

Simon

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zoidburg

Thought worth mentioning as many people aren't aware and I have heard of deaths when Bacter AE was used.... most often when fed "too much", even if within the guidelines of the manufacturer. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Elkwatcher
8 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

Just a word of caution on the Bacter AE... the spoon it comes with is considered over-dosing to most people who use it... and if a tank doesn't have enough aeration, can cause shrimp deaths. Many people I see who use this product tend to under-dose it to prevent deaths although one person had to completely stop using it entirely.

 

You may want to try and stick with an algae/vegetable based diet (great idea with the kale!) and add in protein occasionally... which may come in the form of fish food? (since it is a mixed tank...)

Thank you @Zoidburg for the heads up on Bacter AE.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steensj2004

Fantastic pictures! What camera are you using!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Elkwatcher

@Steensj2004 I have older DSLR's.  A Canon 5D and 7DII    The 2 lens I use for Aquarium are 18-55mm and a 100mm macro.  I am still learning. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...