Elkwatcher

Hoping to start a Colony

Elkwatcher

New Reds and hoping to see some shrimplet's soon.  Not a shrimp only tank... what are the chances with 6 Pygmy Cory and 8 Embers as tank mates?

It's well planted, has driftwood and a Paradise Nut.

GH 6-7    KH- 5     PH 7.5   Temp 76F  Cuttlebone.  Established Tank with bio film on the back walls.

Do I need any additives that might help?   ie Salty Shrimp Minerals?

1636830945_NewRedCherrycopy.jpg.ec75a9fdf7e4a652da0e77fbae8c3109.jpg

Cherry_Shrimp_Bowl_April.thumb.jpg.702e402f6cd63bd3bfbfa0ed69c122f5.jpg

13804875_RedCherryShrimp.jpg.b66eb658f82fcb5b854febd7ce84c98d.jpg

1674922675_ShrimpTankRescape*****.thumb.jpg.c650feab6894fbb75a7eae9a9eaa2e1f.jpg

• Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

More great photos!

Those parameters look pretty ok to me? Maybe some Indian almond leaves as shrimps like the biofilm that grows on them and the tanins are good for them? If there aren't too many shrimps then there is probably enough biofilm for the shrimplets?

I have ember and a few neon tetras with my red cherrys and they have lived together for 5+ years. I'm sure the odd baby shrimp gets eaten but they are good at hiding and can move very quickly when scared, they flick their tail and vanish. The mother will probably have them somewhere safe and they may not move far from there for a few weeks so it may be a while before you see them, but don't panic if you don't see them for a while........ As they are so tiny usually you see them first on the biofilm on the glass.

There are baby foods for shrimp but they may not be suited to a bigger tank because the babys don't travel far from where they are born? I don't bother with this for my cherry shrimp, they are very neglected but survive well all the same, though 80% are now brown or clear, not many reds left?

There is a product called Bacter AE which most shrimp keepers use which helps with growing biofilm and is supposed to help with young shrimps.

Simon

Crabclaw

Incredible photos again, in terms of the fish I have a school of 20 embers with my shrimp, and have never seen an interaction between them. No interest in hunting from the embers whatsoever. It may just be my group though, you’ll have to gage yours.

• Like 1

Elkwatcher

Thank you Simon, I will have to order the Bacter AE online.  I dehydrated a few bunches of organic Kale and powered it with my mortar and pestle.  Going to try my own shrimp food treats using recipe from Marks Shrimp Tanks.  There is an abundance of wild treats in the back yard such as Beech leaves, nettles, Maple, Alder, dandelions, blackberry leaves.  All my tanks have Catappa leaves in them as well as Alder cones.  I had molting issues with the last batch of shrimp after having them for almost 6 months.  No one berried.  

The last "mosquito larvae" I saw floating around turned out to be Giant Danio fry, as I stole some substrate from them to start the shrimp tank.  A surprise to say the least  but now I have a school of 8 in my 50 gallon!

Trish 

53 minutes ago, Crabclaw said:

Incredible photos again, in terms of the fish I have a school of 20 embers with my shrimp, and have never seen an interaction between them. No interest in hunting from the embers whatsoever. It may just be my group though, you’ll have to gage yours.

@Crabclaw  That's good to know.  I've been told the Pygmy Cory's might go after little ones though... I'm hoping not as they are little character fish and add a lot of entertainment to the tank. 😊

• Like 1