what species is Golden/Tangerine Tiger ?

Martin

Hello

I have Golden Tigers myself, love the color and behaviour of these shrimps.
Sometimes they are sold as Caridina cf. Cantonensis and somtimes as Caridina Serrata. After seaching on the web , I found this on a German website (translated)
"The tangerine tiger or golden tiger shrimp from southern China is still relatively new in the hobby. Again and again she is referred to as Caridina serrata, but it has been found after investigations that she belongs to the species Caridina cantonensis. The body color of Tangerine Tiger is yellow to golden orange ...etc."
My question: what's true now ?

Martin

• Like 1

I'm not sure as I have read so many different reports. I have thought about getting some of these to go in with my red cherries, they are a great colour, the easiest caridina to keep, and safe against breeding with cherry shrimp!

What sort of setup do you have and how many shrimps?

Simon

TTs are Caridina Serrata.

Tiger Shrimps are Caridina Cantonesis.

There are similarities, but there is a significant difference between the two for them to be classed in different species. 

So until the Tang Ties are officially renamed, they will remain as Caridina Serrata.

• Like 2

Thanks for your answer.  Anyway,  I have about 30 TT together with Bloody Merries in a 60 l (15 gallons) tank.  Nice piece of wood and moss is recommanded. They are strong and hard in terms of water conditions because I use just tap water.  A few are more yellowish but most of them have a nice "golden" color.

• Like 1