Dashrimp

Neocaridina - cherry shrimp and daphnia feeding

Dashrimp

Hi all. I'm a newbie. I'm keeping a 90 litre tank with cherry shrimp and daphnia together. I'm feeding them spirulina and commercial shrimp food.

Does anyone know what else I should be feeding them? Anyone else have this mix of tankmates?

• Like 1

jayc

There are so many varieties of food you can be feeding them.

Have a read of this Food & Nutrition section for more ideas.

Leaves, flowers, vege scraps.

Frozen bloodworms.

Bee Pollen.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Thats a great idea, keeping daphnia with the shrimps! I am trying to keep daphnia in a small (2L) container and after week one it appears to be working ok? I won't be able to keep the daphnia with the cherry shrimps though as there are fish with the shrimps (the daphnia is for the fish)!

There are a lot of shrimp foods out there but you may not need any extra if the tank has lots of biofilm unless there are LOTS of shrimps in the tank. As JayC states, you can feed vegetables, though they need to be organic and blanched! If you are just looking for a little boost for the shrimps I would go for a 'complete' commercial food and maybe a 'Baby' food - each manufacturer makes one of each of these, but always use less than they recommend!

Simon

Dashrimp

Thanks.  I was feeding the daphnia yeast before I put the shrimp in.  I am nervous about the shrimp and the yeast though. Do you think it is safe?

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

I feed my daphnia yeast and spirulina as well! I wouldn't think that yeast would affect the shrimps as long as you don't use too much, I know the spirulina is fine as that is used in shrimp foods. I buy powdered both and mix together so they get some of each every time but they aren't in the same tank as shrimps!

I would try a tiny bit first, watch closely, and increase it a little each time to be safe and cautious! I think yeast uses up oxygen so IF I am right don't use too much yeast? I have very limited knowledge on yeast though!

Simon

Dashrimp

Do you mix the yeast with water or do you sprinkle it dry?

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

I mix the 2 powders together and store that in a container then I get a small bit of warm water from the fish tank in a cup and mix the powder mix in that for a few minutes and then pour it around the daphnias tank!

Do you keep the daphnia to feed to fish, or do you just find them fascinating in there own right?

Simon

Dashrimp

Both. I wanted to set up a varied invertebrate tank so I went for daphnia, cherry shrimp and nerites. I love the daphnia, but when they thrive they're betta food!

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

They do have a curiousity as they move about. I keep mine for the betta! I haven't managed to keep them in the house during the summer, it must be too warm I guess, but usually they keep indoors in the winter ok so I fish them from the outside pond. They disappear from the pond in winter!

There is this old film about daphnia which I found interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbfc30nw1PQ

Simon

Dashrimp

I do love them, weird little creatures. I have a six year-old who loves water critters

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

I was watching mine while eating my dinner, (they're on the table) they were all down one end in a ball shape nearest the window!

Simon

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• YoloDaBolo
      By YoloDaBolo
      PLZ HELP 🙂 
    • BID
      By BID
      Hi!
      I found today the smallest of my 6 shrimp dead and can't figure out why and am hoping for help. They seemed generally less active in the last week or two, and I have noticed that they fan their belly flaps quite a lot (though none of my shrimp are berried, at least I am pretty sure, the eggs always seem pretty obvious on photos). Is it maybe too little oxygen? 
      The dead shrimp appears completely normal to me, and I found it lying on its side in the middle of the tank, still flapping it's belly fins. I put it in a glass with tank water where aber about 15minutes it stopped moving completely, even if prodded. 
      It shouldn't be a shedding issue, as I think this shrimp has shed about 4 days ago. It's the smallest of the 6 (almost half the size of my biggest) so I figured it must be juvenile and it shouldn't be age.
      I do have some worms in there that I can't seem to get rid of, but I'm quite sure none of them are planaria. Seems to be some sort of white flat worm that usually sticks to the glass and very thin hair like ones that float around. 
      All my cherry shrimp are solid red, so I can't see if they have bacterial infection. There always seems to be one of two that are paler/mottled but as they shed I think it's that? I have a hard time keeping them apart tbh
      I did a 50% water change and removed most of the floating plants in case there wasn't enough aeration.
      My goal with making this post is to maybe find out what might have killed it/how to avoid further deaths. I'm happy for any advice!

Background/setup: 
      This is my first aquarium, just as a disclaimer, so I'm gonna list...everything, not that I oversaw sth stupid.
      I got 6 cherry shrimp and 5 MTS(that have made about two dozen babies by now) approx. 5 weeks ago. The tank had been set up and running w/ plants and filter 4 weeks before that.
      It's ~25L, running a sponge filter with air pump, have some java fern and moss, wood, flourite black sand, and dwarf grass(?) and a lot of tiny floating plants on top. The light sold with the aquarium (very bright) and a desk lamp (less bright) that I use sporadically.
      They get fed JBL 'Nano Prawn' pellets (which they don't seem to be fond of) and sometimes blanched spinach/peas/lettuce (which they will fight eachother for). Would they starve themselves for not getting the beloved spinach&peas???
      Measured half an hour ago upon finding the dead shrimp:
      PH: 7.2  
      Ammonia: 0
      Nitrite: 0
      Nitrate: ~5 (now probably 2.5 as I just did a 50% water change)
      Temp: 22-24C
      I do use dechlorinator (tetra tap safe).
      I currently don't have a gh/kh test but it's on the shopping list. They have a small piece (2x2cm) of cuttle bone permanently floating around the tank, as Glasgow water is supposedly soft and between snails and shrimp i figured they'd need it.
      It has been stable like this for at least 3 weeks now, before that, week 1-2 of having the shrimp, the ph was a little lower and small amounts of ammonia/nitrite.
      From what I read this should all be fine? 
    • Myola
      By Myola
      Hi all,
      2 months ago I purchased 18 red cherries and put them into my well-cycled, 40 litre tank. Several of them were berried and have since given birth. Since then however, none of the other females have berried and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. My tank parameters are as follows: water temp - 22C, pH - 7.2, NO2 - 0, NO3 - 5, TDS - 195, KH - 1, GH - 3. My water is rainwater but I've been adding powdered egg shell in to boost the Calcium and I also have some mineral balls. I do weekly 10-15% water changes. Everyone seems happy and active but I have lost a few to failed moults (although there is evidence of plenty of successful moults too). There are plenty of places to hide and I have a piece of cholla wood that they love hiding in and eating from. I don't want to breed thousands of new shrimp, but it would be nice to see a few more little shrimplets scurrying around the tank. Most of the original babies have died with just a few juveniles left from the ones that came from the females that were berried when I bought them. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    • Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
    • Madmerv
      By Madmerv
      Thanks to the guys at Shrimp Love Mulberry i recently received a pack of the new Mulberry based shrimp food.
      The pack contained 4 syringes of mulberry shrimp food and an instruction card for storage and feeding. Nothing to complicated there, just store the syringe you are using in the fridge and the spare ones in the freezer. Great being able to freeze the syringe and all as you know it is not going to go off so you can order enough for 6 months or more and that will save on shipping costs.
      So like with any new aquarium product i headed straight to the shrimp tank to give it a go. My thinking at the time was that the product would be a bit like Repashy but softer so it could be easily syringed. My tank has a good flow in it so it is always a bit hit and miss dropping food from the surface to the feeding bowl, like wafers or crack, but i'm getting pretty good at hitting the mark. I held the syringe at about the right point to get the bowl and gave it a little squeeze. This is not how you do it...Lol 
      The product came out in a nice tube about 2-3mm wide, like a soft bit of crack, and then hit the flow of water. It then turned into a snow of mulberry goodness as it fell through the water column and was evenly distributed throughout the entire tank. This is not a problem for giving the shrimp a general feed, providing you dont over feed, but there was now no way i could see if the shrimp were attracted to it specifically so i could give it a subjective review. The shrimp got excited as they knew there was food somewhere in the tank but i think it took 10sec for every shrimp in the tank to find some of it and settle down for a munch.
      A few days later it went a lot better. 
      Getting the hands wet i put a bit into the feeding bowl and sat back with the camera ready. My display tank has a mix of RCS, Native WA Glassies and a few Pygmy Cories. I have found that the Palamonties Australis are more of a carnivore than RCS and will rather eat live black worms than actual shrimp food. Fortunately, or unfortunately for a review, the much larger glass shrimp got into the food bowl first and the RCS were kept at bay until it had it's fill. I had put in about enough food for a normal 3-4 day feed and it was gone in about 2 hours. My normal harder food last about 6-8 hours for the same amount.
      Future feeds will be done from the surface again as i dont over feed and the distribution in the tank ensures all the shrimp, even the new ones, dont get muscled out.