Sign in to follow this  
YoloDaBolo

Um...too much Cherries, what do i do?

YoloDaBolo

PLZ HELP 🙂 

sdlTBfanUK

I assume you got some shrimp since the previous post and everything has gone (too) well?

The usual way of keeping numbers smaller would be to sell or cull the ones with poorer colour? Do you know anyone with big fish that may enjoy a treat? Is there a shop that would take the unwanted shrimps even if you just donate them?

I don't do anything with my red cherries as a tank will only support so many anyway but as I have never removed poor quality ones I have about 80% are now boring brown (wild) colour so it is best to keep removing poorer quality ones from the start. I would also be cautious about over stock though as I guess it could cause a crash/mass death, with mine I have loads of snails and fish in the tank so they probably eat any dead shrimps before they pollute the water!

It is always good to hear about someone having success!

It is a common problem to get too many IF all is going well!

Simon

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Dashrimp
      By Dashrimp
      Hi all. I'm a newbie. I'm keeping a 90 litre tank with cherry shrimp and daphnia together. I'm feeding them spirulina and commercial shrimp food.
       Does anyone know what else I should be feeding them? Anyone else have this mix of tankmates?
    • BID
      By BID
      Hi!
      I found today the smallest of my 6 shrimp dead and can't figure out why and am hoping for help. They seemed generally less active in the last week or two, and I have noticed that they fan their belly flaps quite a lot (though none of my shrimp are berried, at least I am pretty sure, the eggs always seem pretty obvious on photos). Is it maybe too little oxygen? 
      The dead shrimp appears completely normal to me, and I found it lying on its side in the middle of the tank, still flapping it's belly fins. I put it in a glass with tank water where aber about 15minutes it stopped moving completely, even if prodded. 
      It shouldn't be a shedding issue, as I think this shrimp has shed about 4 days ago. It's the smallest of the 6 (almost half the size of my biggest) so I figured it must be juvenile and it shouldn't be age.
      I do have some worms in there that I can't seem to get rid of, but I'm quite sure none of them are planaria. Seems to be some sort of white flat worm that usually sticks to the glass and very thin hair like ones that float around. 
      All my cherry shrimp are solid red, so I can't see if they have bacterial infection. There always seems to be one of two that are paler/mottled but as they shed I think it's that? I have a hard time keeping them apart tbh
      I did a 50% water change and removed most of the floating plants in case there wasn't enough aeration.
      My goal with making this post is to maybe find out what might have killed it/how to avoid further deaths. I'm happy for any advice!

Background/setup: 
      This is my first aquarium, just as a disclaimer, so I'm gonna list...everything, not that I oversaw sth stupid.
      I got 6 cherry shrimp and 5 MTS(that have made about two dozen babies by now) approx. 5 weeks ago. The tank had been set up and running w/ plants and filter 4 weeks before that.
      It's ~25L, running a sponge filter with air pump, have some java fern and moss, wood, flourite black sand, and dwarf grass(?) and a lot of tiny floating plants on top. The light sold with the aquarium (very bright) and a desk lamp (less bright) that I use sporadically.
      They get fed JBL 'Nano Prawn' pellets (which they don't seem to be fond of) and sometimes blanched spinach/peas/lettuce (which they will fight eachother for). Would they starve themselves for not getting the beloved spinach&peas???
      Measured half an hour ago upon finding the dead shrimp:
      PH: 7.2  
      Ammonia: 0
      Nitrite: 0
      Nitrate: ~5 (now probably 2.5 as I just did a 50% water change)
      Temp: 22-24C
      I do use dechlorinator (tetra tap safe).
      I currently don't have a gh/kh test but it's on the shopping list. They have a small piece (2x2cm) of cuttle bone permanently floating around the tank, as Glasgow water is supposedly soft and between snails and shrimp i figured they'd need it.
      It has been stable like this for at least 3 weeks now, before that, week 1-2 of having the shrimp, the ph was a little lower and small amounts of ammonia/nitrite.
      From what I read this should all be fine? 
    • sky99
      By sky99
      Hello everyone!
      I bought some pintos, and i did put them with my other bees (some panda, some king kong, some blue bolts).
      However, i can't seem to find if pintos do breed true (in that case, should i separate them? or will those mix with the others
      to make cool new paterns, colors, etc?)
      I have a hard time figuring what bee breed true if any.
      I've read that bee are a mutation of CRS/CBS, but do they produce  similar offsprings or is it more random as an interaction of
      multiple genes?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    • Myola
      By Myola
      Hi all,
      2 months ago I purchased 18 red cherries and put them into my well-cycled, 40 litre tank. Several of them were berried and have since given birth. Since then however, none of the other females have berried and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. My tank parameters are as follows: water temp - 22C, pH - 7.2, NO2 - 0, NO3 - 5, TDS - 195, KH - 1, GH - 3. My water is rainwater but I've been adding powdered egg shell in to boost the Calcium and I also have some mineral balls. I do weekly 10-15% water changes. Everyone seems happy and active but I have lost a few to failed moults (although there is evidence of plenty of successful moults too). There are plenty of places to hide and I have a piece of cholla wood that they love hiding in and eating from. I don't want to breed thousands of new shrimp, but it would be nice to see a few more little shrimplets scurrying around the tank. Most of the original babies have died with just a few juveniles left from the ones that came from the females that were berried when I bought them. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    • Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Zoidburg
      Thought worth mentioning as many people aren't aware and I have heard of deaths when Bacter AE was used.... most often when fed "too much", even if within the guidelines of the manufacturer. :) 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I use less of most things in reality than recommended by the manufacturers! Simon
    • Zoidburg
      Just a word of caution on the Bacter AE... the spoon it comes with is considered over-dosing to most people who use it... and if a tank doesn't have enough aeration, can cause shrimp deaths. Many people I see who use this product tend to under-dose it to prevent deaths although one person had to completely stop using it entirely.   You may want to try and stick with an algae/vegetable based diet (great idea with the kale!) and add in protein occasionally... which may come in the form of fish food? (since it is a mixed tank...)
    • Zoidburg
      Just to give an update.... the "green fungus" is not ellobiopsidae as many people have come to accept, but rather a parasitic algae. Some people have had success treating it using a product such as Kordon Rid Ich Plus soaked food, garlic soaked foods or similar methods. "Lights out" and frequent water changes have helped for some others. As per new research, it is known as Cladogonium ogishimae http://aquariumbreeder.com/ellobiopsidae-or-cladogonium-ogishimae-green-fungus-in-shrimp-tank/
    • Steensj2004
      I’m anticipating some losses for sure. I am feeding Shrimp Fit, in hopes to help boost health.   The HOB filter has done an excellent job of clearing up/ polishing the water. Baby shrimp are appearing and scurrying around more regularly now.