Getting a bigger cabinet

DEL 707

I've got a AquaOne Aquanano 40 tank, which is sat of a set of drawers.
Tanks, been running for nearly 3 weeks, but I'm noticed that the surface the tanks on has started to sag in the middle.

I'm going to buy a proper cabinet from AquaOne.

But I was thinking of getting the larger cabinet, just because I think it looks better and will have more room underneath.

But will having a bigger cabinet cause any problems, because all the weights in the middle, will that start to sag as well?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DEL 707 said:

But will having a bigger cabinet cause any problems, because all the weights in the middle, will that start to sag as well?

it really depends on how these cabinets are constructed.

If you can have a look at it before buying, that will be helpful. If it's not reinforced underneath, then it's not going to hold much weight.

• Like 2

I had this with a friend that bought a very nice sideboard to put the tank on, so not meant for an aquarium. I took them to the wood yard and had a piece of plywood cut to the size of the sideboard top. Plywood is very tough and has no sagging so the weight is spread to the outer frame this way. Coated the plywood with a few coats of varnish (could buy some with a plastic laminate on top possibly) as however careful you are water will get splashed and leave water marks over time. He is still using this top 10 years later and it has been moved several times and of coarse it means the sideboard top is still as new.   

Plywood has the grain of each layer at 90 degrees to the previous layer and is therefore VERY strong (much stronger than wood of the same depth) and as I say, it will carry the weight to the frame of the unit as it doesn't bend.

I would expect a unit built specifically for aquariums would be substantial but I would check how it is made as JayC states! All my tanks (3 about 30L each) are just on normal pieces of furniture (though of very good quality) without the plywood modification, but if you aren't sure and want more peace of mind, the plywood option is ridiculously cheap and easy. ONLY plywood, not MDF or chipboard etc - must be plywood because of the way it is made and its rigidity!

Hope this may help?

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 2

On 10/6/2019 at 4:25 AM, jayc said:

it really depends on how these cabinets are constructed.

If you can have a look at it before buying, that will be helpful. If it's not reinforced underneath, then it's not going to hold much weight.

Thanks, I called the company and they said the bigger cabinet isn't reinforced in the middle.

Going to play is safe and order the smaller unit.

• Like 2