ricksza

CO2 Help Needed

ricksza

I am new to CO2 because I wanted to maintain a full Hairgrass carpet (plus other plants) in my tank and everyone says CO2 is the way to have it.

I just acquired new-in-box from 2015 a CO2 setup: GLA PRO-1-SS regulator, 5 lb tank, Atomic 70mm diffuser, Atomic bubble counter with integrated check valve & a Milwaukee MC122 pH controller.

Any issues with any of this equipment other than price? I would like to use this on my two new (not set up yet) 20-gallon shrimp tanks.

Questions I have:

Can I just add another GLA Manifold Block to the regulator for the second tank?

The Atomic diffuser operation looks great in videos, is 70mm too big for a 20-gallon, what size should I have?

Do I need the Atomic bubble counter with integrated check valve since the Manifold Block has its own bubble counter?

Is the pH controller really that much better or should I stick with a timer?

I appreciate any and all opinions on this since I am a novice.

jayc
3 hours ago, ricksza said:

Can I just add another GLA Manifold Block to the regulator for the second tank?

You should be able to get a dual regulator (up to 5 regulators).

$350 for the GLA PRO-2! 

But surely a Y splitter could achieve the same result, no?

GLA Pro-2 CO2 Regulator | Green Leaf Aquariums

The Atomic diffuser operation looks great in videos, is 70mm too big for a 20-gallon, what size should I have?

Yes too big, IF you are still keeping shrimp in the tank. Get the smaller 55mm one. If you don't have shrimp than 70mm is still fine.

I prefer the inline diffusers to be honest. One less item to clutter up the tank.

Do I need the Atomic bubble counter with integrated check valve since the Manifold Block has its own bubble counter?

No you don't need a separate bubble counter.

Is the pH controller really that much better or should I stick with a timer?

Dunno. I have never used a ph controller with CO2 system. Mine is old school, it uses a solenoid & timer.

But I'm sure you have better control over the CO2 with a pH controller monitoring and controlling the CO2/solenoid.

• Like 1

ricksza

I already have the regulator GLA PRO-1-SS. I think I can add an additional needle valve & bubble counter for about $75.

I currently have one outlet with a needle valve & bubble counter. Should I tee that off to two tanks, or should I have a separate needle valve & bubble counter for each tank.

If I use the inline diffuser (would I need one or two),  I would still need some way to get the CO2 into the tank. 

The only issue I see with the controller is that it runs 24/7, so in the dark it can still turn on the CO2. I currently have stable pH without CO2.

GLA PRO-1-SS.jpg

jayc
10 minutes ago, ricksza said:

Should I tee that off to two tanks, or should I have a separate needle valve & bubble counter for each tank.

Tee it off to two tanks should work. You might just need to turn up the counter.

11 minutes ago, ricksza said:

If I use the inline diffuser (would I need one or two),  I would still need some way to get the CO2 into the tank. 

Sorry, I presumed you have an external canister that you could fit an inline diffuser. If you don't have canisters for the two tanks, then  go with your original plan of using the atomic diffuser. 

• Like 1