Mark49

Substrate choice

Mark49

Hi everyone, Im about to replace my ADA substrate and have been looking at Dymax as an alternative.It is darker than ADA and less crumbly.Has anyone used it and if so how do you find it as a shrimp substrate.

jayc

It's a very new brand. I have not used it yet and you might need to do a review being one of the first to use it . They sound promising but how good it is only comes with time using it.

Where are you buying it from? And how much is a 3L bag?

It better be cheap for a brand that doesn't have any cred yet.

Mark49

It is double the price of ADA.

My LFS wants $36.90 for a 3kg bag or $99.95 for a 9kg.

jayc
9 hours ago, Mark49 said:

My LFS wants $36.90 for a 3kg bag or $99.95 for a 9kg.

😲 Woah!

kms

I use Black earth premium, it doesn't crumble like ADA, and is much cleaner, when mixed water together, the water is very clear, whiles ADA take days to clear.

nicpapa

Find the cheapest soil... in 1-1.5 years you must change it... so why to buy expensive soils?

There is no diferents in breeding shrimp what ever soil you have... soil is just for lowering ph and kh.. that all.

jayc
18 hours ago, kms said:

I use Black earth premium

I use Black Earth Premium as well from CAL labs.

@Mark49, Try this Dymax soil out, if it doesn't work out swap if for something else. Let us know how it goes, or else we will never know whether it is good or not.

• Thanks 1

kms
6 hours ago, jayc said:

I use Black Earth Premium as well from CAL labs.

@Mark49, Try this Dymax soil out, if it doesn't work out swap if for something else. Let us know how it goes, or else we will never know whether it is good or not.

I know, you recommended  it to me, :cool:I purchased a 3ib bag of the normal version and fine version, haven't touched the normal version yet.

• Like 2

Mark49

I purchased 2x9kg bags of Dymax today.I have setup it up tonight and will post updates on how it performs and cycling times etc.

IMG_8440[5403].jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sabertooth

I went from using ADA and fluval stratum to up aqua sand not sure how popular it is but i like how it holds its shape when it is new you it is a lot harder to crush than other substrates. Comes in black and red variants. No clouding of the water and no ammonia issues. Set up another 10g tank about 3 weeks ago and cost was AU$39 for 5kg bag.

• Like 1

kms

I got rid of ADA, about 8 months of use, it starts to break up, i'm using black earth premium, and i'm happy with in.

• Like 1