Sign in to follow this  
kvinnyy

Varying pH readings

kvinnyy

Hi, 

This might sound like a stupid question but I ran a couple of tests and noticed that the pH reading of water flowing out of my filter is akaline and has a pH of about 7.6... which is different to water pH in the tank, which is slightly acidic of about 6.8. I'm only running ceramic noodles and porous media that came with aquaclear 20 filter. Do those affect pH or does biologically filtrated water have higher pH?

sdlTBfanUK

What type of test are you doing strip or drip?

I use drip tests and always ignore the first attempt as no matter how well I clean and keep the test set it is often way out of line. Las time first test was Ph8, second test Ph6. Sometimes first attempt looks ok so I have no idea what is going on?????

If you just tried once it may be worth testing again?

Simon

kvinnyy

I'm using the API master test kit with the dropper bottles. I was just very confused at how much more akaline the water was coming out of the filter compared to the water out in the open. I can't imagine how this fluctuating change in pH is going to be beneficial for my crs.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Try testing it again and see what you get or to confirm that the previous were right, especially the higher Ph reading is all I can recommend!

If there is some explanation for the difference hopefully someone will reply and let you know, but I expect there won't actually be a difference if you do it again?

Simon

• Like 1

jayc
On 9/18/2019 at 8:09 PM, kvinnyy said:

ceramic noodles and porous media that came with aquaclear 20 filter. Do those affect pH

It's not out of the question. We have had some SKF members report of high pH and tests showed that the filter media was to blame, specifically the cheap ceramic noodles.

Take a handful out and place it in a cup. Add some water and test the pH before and after for any changes.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Good for you and look forward to seeing them soon. I have had them in the past but they were a bit too shy, I may not have had sufficient  numbers so rarely saw them but they were very pretty when I got to see them! Unfortunately I placed my order for the mosquito and dwarf spotted rasboras a few days too late, and we went into lockdown over here so I am going to have to wait a while for those, would have been nice to have them here, but the reality is lockdown doesn't affect me personally at all being home 24/7 anyway. What size will the tank be, I have ordered 6+6 and they are going into 35L tank, I may have too many? I allowed for a couple of deaths! Simon
    • jayc
      Just bought myself some Celestial Pearl Danios ! 12 of them. 4 males and the rest females. Unfortunately, no photos yet. They are super shy and have not coloured up yet. Love these little fellas. They are so interesting. Same parameters as my shrimp tanks, but it's not going into any tank with shrimps, yet. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      That last one from the old batch will probably die as well soon with all that has happened! As long as you keep everything steady the new batch should do much better though! Simon
    • ThePurple12
      That's about how much I've been adding. There's only one shrimp left from the previous batch. The new one came in yesterday and all shrimp are healthy. Thanks for all the help!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You can't really go wrong with RO water and remineralisers like salty shrimp as it is perfectly balanced to shrimps requirements on all the parameters including PH! Ph of RO water is usually low but the products will correct that as well. It is widely reported that they breed a lot better with the RO + minerals than in tap water, even if the tapwater parameters are good? The RO will remove anything that could be a problem like copper so you can stop looking for that sort of problem! In such a large tank with only half a dozen shrimp I wouldn't feed the shrimp at this stage as there will be more than enough biofilm and the food that isn't eaten could cause more problems rotting etc (over feeding is a common problem)? Keep the food for when you have more shrimps or maybe a tiny bit as a sunday treat! Simon