Varying pH readings

kvinnyy

Hi, 

This might sound like a stupid question but I ran a couple of tests and noticed that the pH reading of water flowing out of my filter is akaline and has a pH of about 7.6... which is different to water pH in the tank, which is slightly acidic of about 6.8. I'm only running ceramic noodles and porous media that came with aquaclear 20 filter. Do those affect pH or does biologically filtrated water have higher pH?

What type of test are you doing strip or drip?

I use drip tests and always ignore the first attempt as no matter how well I clean and keep the test set it is often way out of line. Las time first test was Ph8, second test Ph6. Sometimes first attempt looks ok so I have no idea what is going on?????

If you just tried once it may be worth testing again?

Simon

I'm using the API master test kit with the dropper bottles. I was just very confused at how much more akaline the water was coming out of the filter compared to the water out in the open. I can't imagine how this fluctuating change in pH is going to be beneficial for my crs.

• Like 1

Try testing it again and see what you get or to confirm that the previous were right, especially the higher Ph reading is all I can recommend!

If there is some explanation for the difference hopefully someone will reply and let you know, but I expect there won't actually be a difference if you do it again?

Simon

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 8:09 PM, kvinnyy said:

ceramic noodles and porous media that came with aquaclear 20 filter. Do those affect pH

It's not out of the question. We have had some SKF members report of high pH and tests showed that the filter media was to blame, specifically the cheap ceramic noodles.

Take a handful out and place it in a cup. Add some water and test the pH before and after for any changes.

• Like 1