Shrimp tank cycling

Razzy

Hi, I'm cycling a tank ATM and I'm using Dr Tim's ammonia, stability and I do have prime.

But I was wondering if prime would stall the cycle since the bacteria need ammonia to feed and prime turns it into a.non toxic form? 

My ammonia's been pretty high for the past week and I've been trying to do a partial water change to keep the levels down, not going down, no nitrites. But I did just start cycling it last week.

If not prime,  you will have to use another de-chlorinator, as chlorine  will kill the bacteria. It might still cycle with prime,  but maybe a bit longer. Do you have access to one that doesn't bind ammonia? 

No need to change the water  until you see ph drop below 6.5.

11 hours ago, jayc said:

If not prime,  you will have to use another de-chlorinator, as chlorine  will kill the bacteria. It might still cycle with prime,  but maybe a bit longer. Do you have access to one that doesn't bind ammonia? 

No need to change the water  until you see ph drop below 6.5.

I'm considering water changing because I read that too high of an ammonia reading will also stall the cycle. I only have prime but I was reading conflicting results on if it stalls the cycle by not letting the bb feed. ?

4 hours ago, Razzy said:

considering water changing because I read that too high of an ammonia reading will also stall the cycle.

Are you using a plant substrate like ADA Amazonia?

If you are not, than ammonia won't get high enough to stall a cycle.

Just don't use too much Prime. Only enough to treat the amount of tap water being added. That should minimise any impact that it might have to bind ammonia.