Aquamaxx 17.1 Gallon Caridina Tank Build

Steensj2004

4 minutes ago, Crabby said:

That’s unfortunate. I lost one the other day as well. By CBS do you mean crystal black or brown? 

Black. Crystal reds ans blacks in this tank. Somehow, I don’t have one black female. lol 

• Like 3

You may still get some CBS if an adult CBS and CRS breed I believe? I got all sorts of taiwan bee colours/patterns from just red ruby and blue bolts mixed together, even blacks and none of the shrimp showed any black!

Simon

• Like 2

Having some water issues, at least I think..... GH seems high.

PH: 6.1-6.2

TDS 165

GH:7-8

KH: 0

Temp: 72

I’ve been remineralizing to 150 TDS with Distilled water.  Creeps up with the single dose of fertilizer I do after water changes to 160-165. I Don’t get why KH is so high?

Edit: I checked the water I’m using, KH/GH are at 0.

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 2

I don't think there is much there to worry about but the fertiliser is obviously raising the TDS/GH so you can either reduce the remineralized new water to a lower figure, maybe aim for 120 TDS (that will be GH6) for the new water! The new water will need to be added slowly (dripped or similar) when you do water changes but the overall effect will be a very slow lowering of the TDS over time assuming you do small water changes (20%). This should also reduce the GH unless there is something else causing the increase? Your figures in September were GH7 TDS140 which sounds about right for the remineralized water. - 1GH=20TDS. The usual mid-range ideal figure for bee shrimp is about 140 anyway so you may as well bring it down a bit from 165 as that is getting a bit near the 180 usual upper limit anyway? 

I don't think you should need the fertilizer now that the tank is established and the shrimp waste should feed the plants naturally so it might help to reduce/ween the fertiliser to a point where you can stop using it altogether. Just keep a close eye on the plants as they will soon tell you if they need the fertiliser by looking less healthy!  It is better anyway not to use fertilisers with shrimps!

The rocks you have may also be affecting the TDS/GH depending on what type they are? Though I tend to think from the above it is more likely to be natural increase that JayC mentioned before and the fertiliser. Also, any topping up for evaporation between water changes needs to be pure water, not mineralized!

Don't worry too much as the figures aren't that bad so just a little tweaking should be sufficient and overdoing it WILL do more damage so be cautious, especially if everything is running well, shrimp breeding and not dying off!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, got all the levels back in check, thanks for the help. Now to the update.

Baby. Shrimp. Everywhere. I counted 25 last night, hardly bigger than a pencil lead, all over the place. Looks like multiple females may have dropped at the same time!

9210CD97-A900-4C9D-A5A2-357EDA03A80D.jpeg

• Like 3

That’s great! Can you tell the colours yet? Or are they just that tiny?

Keep us posted!

• Like 1

I am soooooo jealous!!!! I am anticipating I will have to wait about another 3 months (April) for babies (2 months (March) berried shrimps) if my previous experience is to go by - just hope I can keep the adults alive that long.................... It is quite frustrating as I know they are big enough to breed and they are in perfect parameter water at the same temperature, but nature has its ways I guess and I can't do anythig about that?

Simon 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 9:40 PM, Crabby said:

That’s great! Can you tell the colours yet? Or are they just that tiny?

Keep us posted!

Still pretty tiny. I can see patterns, barely, but even that is hard to see. No colors yet.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:48 AM, sdlTBfanUK said:

I am soooooo jealous!!!! I am anticipating I will have to wait about another 3 months (April) for babies (2 months (March) berried shrimps) if my previous experience is to go by - just hope I can keep the adults alive that long.................... It is quite frustrating as I know they are big enough to breed and they are in perfect parameter water at the same temperature, but nature has its ways I guess and I can't do anythig about that?

Simon 

Really? I wonder why your shrimp aren’t breeding?

• Like 2

They stop breeding in winter here, though that was compounded by the fact they probably only reached maturity just as winter started, D'OH! I now have to play the annoying waiting game, and probably won't get baby shrimp until April! I just hope I can keep these adults alive until then, otherwise a shopping spree may be in order - desperately holding off from doing that too early................

I am really pleased yours is working so well now though! 

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahhhh, I’m following. To be fair, winter here has only had ,”Winter like” wrath for a few day’s. Been around 60-79 degrees F. 

I’ve also tried a new food, it’s called Rephashy Super Green. The shrimp love it, and you can make homemade shrimp lolli sticks by using bbq skewers!

906A6546-84DC-4C7E-BAC9-677B739767A0.jpeg

• Like 2

Ahhhh, I’m following. To be fair, winter here has only had ,”Winter like” wrath for a few day’s. Been around 60-79 degrees F. 

I’ve also tried a new food, it’s called Rephashy Super Green. The shrimp love it, and you can make homemade shrimp lolli sticks by using bbq skewers!

Just saw  I lost a shrimp, looks like a moly gone wrong. Bummer. She’ll was shifted oddly, I assume that’s what caused it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Another dead, but mostly consumed shrimp. I don’t get it. Water looks great, nothing g that I can see wrong. That’s two in a week. I have seen some of the red crystals have a red tint on their white stripes. What could that be(see pic) Everyone seems healthy.
PH:6.2

GH:6-7

KH:0

TDS: 160

Temp:73F

On a positive......Newest batch of shrimp are large enough to see easily, I could about a dozen! 

A3CF8816-2C55-4D4B-88B5-588E6B80BA24.jpeg

F6E580E7-E78B-42C7-A3B6-A78F59FC227E.jpeg

193C4A51-B599-4D8C-88DA-6A0E250A71DD.jpeg

Another pic of the color change. I’m concerned it’s a disease..... but I can’t find anything about it online.

9D86DBA5-FC79-4D11-894B-D3D23704FE39.jpeg

3 hours ago, jayc said:

Check ammonia.

For the shell color change? Ammonia is at zero. The shell color change started some time ago, I think I mentioned it previously.

Edited by Steensj2004

5 hours ago, Steensj2004 said:

For the shell color change? Ammonia is at zero.

No, not  for shell colour change. Check ammonia for the unexplained deaths.

Are you able to post a high res version of the first photo? Zoom it right into the shrimp. I don't need to see the background or the rocks.

I have been through this thread.

You stopped using ferts and it sounds like you have since started again?

If you do feed fresh produce it MUST be 'organic'.

I also think that when I started before, the shrimps that were bought to start with gradually died off quicker than you would think they would, but I didn't know what age they were when they died. The ones born in the tank did way better as they had never been stressed with shipping and changing water from different tanks etc I ASSUMED! I think they only live 18 months anyway?

I wouldn't be over worried as your colony is ever growing and the new born were born in your tank so will be used to the water they are in and not experienced any of the stress the purchased ones have. Don't keep changing things though as they don't like that and you have been doing a lot of fine tuning since you set up this tank so the early shrimps have been through a lot?

The photos are too small to be able to see!

Did you do anything a few days before sunday when the other died that may give a clue?

You say some have the marking, are you sure that that just isn't their colour and they aren't HIGHEST grade?

Simon

ps. Check your heater isn't stuck on?

Edited by sdlTBfanUK

2 hours ago, jayc said:

No, not  for shell colour change. Check ammonia for the unexplained deaths.

Are you able to post a high res version of the first photo? Zoom it right into the shrimp. I don't need to see the background or the rocks.

I will try, this phone doesn’t do great pictures.

1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I have been through this thread.

You stopped using ferts and it sounds like you have since started again?

If you do feed fresh produce it MUST be 'organic'.

I also think that when I started before, the shrimps that were bought to start with gradually died off quicker than you would think they would, but I didn't know what age they were when they died. The ones born in the tank did way better as they had never been stressed with shipping and changing water from different tanks etc I ASSUMED! I think they only live 18 months anyway?

I wouldn't be over worried as your colony is ever growing and the new born were born in your tank so will be used to the water they are in and not experienced any of the stress the purchased ones have. Don't keep changing things though as they don't like that and you have been doing a lot of fine tuning since you set up this tank so the early shrimps have been through a lot?

The photos are too small to be able to see!

Did you do anything a few days before sunday when the other died that may give a clue?

You say some have the marking, are you sure that that just isn't their colour and they aren't HIGHEST grade?

Simon

ps. Check your heater isn't stuck on?

I started using on squirt a month, just for the iron. The red plead plants were suffering. Heater is operating normally, and I don’t THINK I did anything to the tank to cause introduction of something to kill them. I suppose I’m being too picky as it was clearly two of the older,  originally purchased adult shrimp. 

The marking wasn’t originally there. It seems to be on females, and only when they are berried. It then never goes away.

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

When did you last use the ferts? If you are doing that once a month and that was within the last week it may be that?

It could be the eggs in the saddle if the shell is a bit transparent, does it just appear in that area?

Simon

1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

When did you last use the ferts? If you are doing that once a month and that was within the last week it may be that?

It could be the eggs in the saddle if the shell is a bit transparent, does it just appear in that area?

Simon

Two weeks ago on the fert.

no, it’s only on the upper side along the back, and some along the sides. I want to upload  better pictures but this is confusing. It won’t let me.... the threshold for file size is never the same...

Edited by Steensj2004

Another mother-bleeping dead adult. I have no idea what’s going on. You’d think all these micro sized babies would be dying too.... I don’t get it.

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Steensj2004 said:

Another mother-bleeping dead adult.

Sorry to hear that. 

I didn't want to jump to conclusions until I saw a higher res picture. But ... red under the shell of shrimps could indicate an internal infection. And the shrimps might be fighting a disease in the tank, or high ammonia levels.

Since this is a mature tank and you say your ammonia levels are zero, it might mean they have a bacterial infection.

I can't be 100% sure of course being no where near the tank.

If it is a bacterial infection, try treating with Carvacrol (Oregano oil), you can read about it in the Disease and Diagnostics thread.

• Like 1

So sorry you are having this problem, believe me you aren't alone in having problems.

It doesn't surprise me that it is the adults that are the problem and the babies aren't affected, as mentioned before. The babies have only lived and been born in the water so will be happier and used to the water and not had the stress the purchased ones have?

I tried blowing the pictures up and it looked like it was a light brown colour rather than red, and on the shell (not underneath/flesh - you wouldn't be able to see the flesh anyway????), difficult to see though as very blurred when blown up, but does that sound right? If it is on the shell has it pitted the surface or is that still smooth/shiny?

Simon

6 hours ago, jayc said:

Sorry to hear that. 

I didn't want to jump to conclusions until I saw a higher res picture. But ... red under the shell of shrimps could indicate an internal infection. And the shrimps might be fighting a disease in the tank, or high ammonia levels.

Since this is a mature tank and you say your ammonia levels are zero, it might mean they have a bacterial infection.

I can't be 100% sure of course being no where near the tank.

If it is a bacterial infection, try treating with Carvacrol (Oregano oil), you can read about it in the Disease and Diagnostics thread.

Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all zero. I’ve tested them over and over hoping that it was one of those so I can combat it. I considered it possibly Chitinolytic bacterial disease, but I don’t know. It really looks more pink in person than brown, this camera just stinks....

I can’t seem to tell if if their shells are  pitted. It definitely seems to be in the shell.  Would oregano oil fix  chitinolytic bacterial? How does one treat with it?

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

This site :

https://www.aquariumcreation.com/blogs/news/freshwater-shrimp-diseases

suggests this product for chitinolytic Bacterial disease:

https://www.ovedshorseandpetstore.com.au/sykes-big-l-pig-and-poultry

thoughts? Wife just texted me and another shrimp is down. That makes 4 in a week. I don’t know how contagious a disease might  be.... or should I try one of these bacterial aquarium booster products and a big water change?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steensj2004 said:

This site :

https://www.aquariumcreation.com/blogs/news/freshwater-shrimp-diseases

suggests this product for chitinolytic Bacterial disease:

LOL.

Did you read the article properly??

Under the Disclaimer - who is the author?

The info I give you is much more up to date than these other sites who have taken a snapshot of the evolving field of treatment for shrimp diseases. I warned those websites, that they need to ensure they maintain the content, as I keep updating the Disease & Diagnostics post. But alas, they copy it once and never remember to return to update it. So our own Disease and Diagnostics post is the source and is actively maintained by me. 

Carvacrol (aka Oregano oil) will treat bacteria of various types. Chitinolytic disease is just another form of bacteria. Oregano oil when added to food will treat bacteria internally. Oregano oil added to the water will treat bacteria externally, like on the shell/carapace, like in the case of Chitinolytic disease. But take caution with filter bacteria, as with any treatment for bacteria will also impact beneficial filter bacteria. You might want to remove half the media and keep in another tank, just in case.

If you can get fresh Oregano leaves, add them into the tank and see if the shrimp will eat it.

The Levamisole will work on external bacteria only. It would be very hard getting the shrimp to eat it to treat internal bacteria infections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1