Aquamaxx 17.1 Gallon Caridina Tank Build

Steensj2004

7 hours ago, Steensj2004 said:

can I get away with this micro HOB

Should be ok for a 17gal. Better than a sponge filter, that's for sure.

A small zoo med external like this https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Turtle-External-Canister/dp/B0002DIRPU/ref=sr_1_11?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1573631909&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A7043890011&rnid=7043888011&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-11 is a lot better as it can hold a lot more media.

3 hours ago, jayc said:

Should be ok for a 17gal. Better than a sponge filter, that's for sure.

A small zoo med external like this https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Turtle-External-Canister/dp/B0002DIRPU/ref=sr_1_11?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1573631909&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A7043890011&rnid=7043888011&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-11 is a lot better as it can hold a lot more media.

Ok! Would that have enough push to power through about 2-3” of pump head? The only place I could set it would be behind and below the tank about that far down.

12 hours ago, Steensj2004 said:

Would that have enough push to power through about 2-3” of pump head?

That will be fine, as long as the hose they provide is long enough.

Lighting adjusted, apparently blue light may have been waaaaaay too high, causing algae to get worse. More adjustments to try and kill the remainder off. Filter ordered, I went with the HOB as it comes with a predicted and it saves me   from having to figure one out on the canister. Furthermore, I plan to keep the sponge filter running as well, as the shrimp love to feed on it, a why not. I’m not worried about the additional equipment being visible, but I do like the extra biofilm/feeding area for the shrimps. Either way, I assume I should Kermit at least till the new filter ,”Seasons.” If I dislike it, I’ll swap for a canister, and move this system to the other tank when I set it up.

I received a message the new shrimps shipped! Woo! Hoping they survive the cold snap that has hit us....F3462F3C-D5DB-4DF1-ABB2-CEB42CECFC58.thumb.jpeg.beafbc7a64e432b3f99ec37fd6b68748.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Have the new shrimps arrived yet?

Hope you are still seeing plenty of  baby shrimps!

Simon

The babies are showing up more and more, they really  like to hang out on the tiny driftwood on the right side, under the sponge filter. I’ve been using your suggestion, and using my pipettes to blow some of the Baby Shrimp, Shrimp Fit into that area when dosing the Glasgarten mixture.

The shrimp have not yet arrived, this place doesn’t ship overnight, and the were shipped yesterday. The galaxies my buddy ordered on this order were still in quarantine until yesterday, so it delayed shipping. However, I will give this fish supplier  credit, as I’ve never had a casualty from them from anything I’ve ordered, and they throw in plenty of spares( 2-3 on average). They also offer a DOA refund policy. I anticipate them being here Friday or Saturday. 

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 2

Hopefully you will get the new shrimps later this week, exciting stuff! They grow fairly quickly!

The babies will feed off the sponge so it doesn't surprise me to hear they like it there.

Pleased to hear it is going so well!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So. A few things. The original mama is berried AGAIN!?

8CB74AB0-DEAB-494F-9170-999E62994F80.jpeg.e324feb7155132bd048234d03266f1a3.jpeg

and, after 7 hours of dripping...

CA1F9A0B-1377-4625-B7C9-B53B49F6CAAF.jpeg.e4a4aae5e906862d908246e2049592e2.jpeg6C41FCFD-1802-488A-BEB3-9C2DDBC4D464.jpeg.c9ca8488fb875bebe380fd6b0e8f7bc3.jpegF71FE901-9F74-4411-855F-6AF62B9EB836.jpeg.5a20226f1d2019a6e4b0546a32142948.jpeg

• Like 3

They look great! 7 hours sounds intense, but it’s for the good of the shrimp. Keep us updated!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great news that the new shrimp have arrived and you have a berried shrimp as well I don't think I have ever had 100% new shrimp survive beyond the first 2 weeks so don't panic if you do see the odd dead one. Usually 3 of 4 (75-80%) survive beyond the 2 weeks in my experience, no matter how careful you are. If you expect this and they all survive then that is a bonus................

They look a nice mixture in the picture!

Simon

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 4:44 AM, sdlTBfanUK said:

Great news that the new shrimp have arrived and you have a berried shrimp as well I don't think I have ever had 100% new shrimp survive beyond the first 2 weeks so don't panic if you do see the odd dead one. Usually 3 of 4 (75-80%) survive beyond the 2 weeks in my experience, no matter how careful you are. If you expect this and they all survive then that is a bonus................

They look a nice mixture in the picture!

Simon

I’m anticipating some losses for sure. I am feeding Shrimp Fit, in hopes to help boost health.

The HOB filter has done an excellent job of clearing up/ polishing the water. Baby shrimp are appearing and scurrying around more regularly now. 

• Like 2

Welp, no deaths yet at this point, fingers crossed ?. Algae is slowly dying, Turning pink/red, so that’s exciting! The tank is much more lovely now that there are more shrimp running around.

Also,is there a way to tell if females are at sexual maturity? 

• Like 1

Great news and long may it continue in the right direction? Time helps sort a lot of problems, algae etc!

I believe the Caridina shrimp need to be about 6 months of age (some say less?) before they can breed but I don't know how you can tell the age. Again, give it time and it will naturally happen when they are ready? You have some babies, hopefully they are doing well still?

Mine must be about 6 months old now but we are now entering winter here so I will probably have to wait longer. Bad timing........

Simon

Yeah, we just go by age of the shrimp. There is no visual indication until you see a saddle. Up till then it's just a guess.

Crystal shrimps are particularly difficult to gauge, since you can't see under the carapace until Cherry shrimps.

• Like 1

Are there any Caridina that don’t interbreed? My buddy asked and I wasn’t sure.

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steensj2004 said:

Are there any Caridina that don’t interbreed?

Not many.

Maybe an Amano. They won't interbreed with Crystals, tigers, taiwan bees.

We have an Australian shrimp called the Darwin Algae Shrimp (DAS) that doesn't interbreed as well. 

These need brackish (salt) water in the breeding cycle.

But many people mix Crystals, tigers, taiwan bees to get Mischlings and hybrids. It's how we get these new fancy shrimps.

Of course if you want to keep them pure, they need their own species tank.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jayc said:

Not many.

Maybe an Amano. They won't interbreed with Crystals, tigers, taiwan bees.

We have an Australian shrimp called the Darwin Algae Shrimp (DAS) that doesn't interbreed as well. 

These need brackish (salt) water in the breeding cycle.

But many people mix Crystals, tigers, taiwan bees to get Mischlings and hybrids. It's how we get these new fancy shrimps.

Of course if you want to keep them pure, they need their own species tank.

Thanks. I was really just curious, as I’m not interested in mixing more than just Crystal Reds and Blacks.

i have another question, maybe it’s a dumb one. My TDS creeps up slowly between water changes. Now, water changes bring it down as I remineralize to 150. How do I prevent these swings? I’m not using fertilizers anymore, is it from the powdered food? PH, GH, KN stay steady, but TDS creeps up by 15-ish TDS between weekly changes.

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

@Steensj2004 Unless your really interested in getting Crystal brown shrimp or diluting your stock genetics would avoid mixing CBS with CRS. Havent read all the topic so not sure of your genetics. 

• Like 1

If your tank gets evaporation between water changes then the TDS will rise as the minerals etc don't evaporate with the water?

If you top up between water changes you should use 'PURE' water with no minerals then the TDS will stay the same!

This is the usual reason.

Simon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

If your tank gets evaporation between water changes then the TDS will rise as the minerals etc don't evaporate with the water?

If you top up between water changes you should use 'PURE' water with no minerals then the TDS will stay the same!

That's right, but that's not the only reason TDS would rise.

TDS rises with waste from your shrimp/fish. Anything that sinks into the gravel will continue to dissolve and add to the TDS reading.

TDS rises from left over food breaking down.

The natural cycle of bacteria processing ammonia, into nitrites, and into nitrates alters TDS as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OzShrimp said:

@Steensj2004 Unless your really interested in getting Crystal brown shrimp or diluting your stock genetics would avoid mixing CBS with CRS. Havent read all the topic so not sure of your genetics. 

Thanks. I’m not too concerned, if I get some browns, I’ll cull them into the cull tank. My buddy has a 75 gallon he wants to stock up with anything I don’t want, so the culls have a permanent home. I’m not looking to develop a super straight or pure line anyway, I just like the shrimps. Besides, I already have both in the tank?

4 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Simon

Top off is done with pure RODI, this is something I learned from salt tanks. Thanks for the advice, but I assume it has to do with feeding ETC since I’ve been using pure water for top offs.

3 hours ago, jayc said:

That's right, but that's not the only reason TDS would rise.

TDS rises with waste from your shrimp/fish. Anything that sinks into the gravel will continue to dissolve and add to the TDS reading.

TDS rises from left over food breaking down.

The natural cycle of bacteria processing ammonia, into nitrites, and into nitrates alters TDS as well.

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for the response. I’ve really noticed the creep increasing since I’ve started dosing the Shrimp Fit. While it isn’t a lot, it’s more than when I was dosing just BacterAE. Previously I saw less of an increase. My main concern was how it may affect the shrimp.

With the mix of CBS/CRS, what ratio of browns might I end up with? Will they have similar patterns to other crystals, but with the colored portion being brown? I actually don’t hate that....

Based on my reading, the brown should be somewhat the odd one out, correct? And if I’m not mistaken, somewhat of a generational dependent mutation. 2-3 generations in or so?

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

Don't worry about Crystal browns as they are so rare you are unlikely to get one, but if you do you won't want to cull it or give it away (just treasure it, I would), that would be madness.................. (scroll down for picture)!

Simon

32 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Don't worry about Crystal browns as they are so rare you are unlikely to get one, but if you do you won't want to cull it or give it away (just treasure it, I would), that would be madness.................. (scroll down for picture)!

Simon

I really want one now, lol. I’ve looked at pictures and I want one!?

Side note, but related, I joint an all shrimp group on FaceBook. The shrimp these people are breeding are breathtaking. 

• Like 1

Woke up to my first CRS casualty, from this new batch. Bummer, but it was expected. 

• Sad 1