Aquamaxx 17.1 Gallon Caridina Tank Build

Steensj2004

Not sure if people do build threads around here,  OR if I’m allowed, but here we go.

Thanks to the wonderful guys in this forum,  I’ve already purchased (2) additional tanks. One(9.6 gallon) and this (17.1 gallon) tank from Aquamaxx. Tanks arrived in excellent condition! My current tank has CRS inside, and they will eventually be moved into this 17 gallon. The back has been painted, and tomorrow I’ll start getting everything together!

Thinking of using this tree like piece to hold some java moss. Make a tree of sorts. It will need trimmed down a bit to be within my liking, but I haven’t decided how, or what part to trim.

Lighting:  Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano.

Filter: Dual Sided Sponge with Media Chambers 

Substrate: Amazonia II

CO2: DIY System

Plants: Java Moss, Staurogyne Repens, Dwarf Baby Tears( maybe), Alternanthera Reinecki

96A31AB3-0483-42E5-8A36-C1A6F99F8E16.jpeg

E3161D36-E705-428E-8A34-0E61CE9FF511.jpeg

3F85637C-E88A-4AC7-B414-E85A48B0AAA9.jpeg

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 3

Nothing better than a clean start and you even have a hardscape outline going. Only change I would consider is not letting one cell of Java moss in that tank and starting with a prettier moss. Because Java will (not might) overtake it all. All the fissidens, xmas moss, etc. I own is in Java free tanks. Just food for thought. The shrimp don't care, just our eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Ridge said:

Nothing better than a clean start and you even have a hardscape outline going. Only change I would consider is not letting one cell of Java moss in that tank and starting with a prettier moss. Because Java will (not might) overtake it all. All the fissidens, xmas moss, etc. I own is in Java free tanks. Just food for thought. The shrimp don't care, just our eyes.

Suggestions? Is  Xmas moss similar?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steensj2004 said:

Not sure if people do build threads around here,  OR if I’m allowed

We definitely do!!

37 minutes ago, Steensj2004 said:

Xmas moss similar?

Xmas moss is similar to Java moss, but prettier. The fronds grow in  that Christmas tree shape, rather than long strands like Java moss.

• Like 3

There are slow growing mosses but they all seem to grow too well in my tanks, always discarding or giving the stuff! The easiest way (may not be the cheapest) is to superglue the moss to the wood rather than trying to tie it on. It needs to be non toxic and aquarium safe though!

CO2 I wouldn't bother with, too many people have problems that stop as soon as they stop using it so best not to waste time and money?

Simon

• Thanks 2

Rethinking plants, I may carpet with the Repens I have, and use Christmas moss on the tree . 

Things will be on on hold for a bit, waiting on more Amazonia ?

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

I called around local stores. I was hoping someone had some Amazonia, nobody does. Best I can get is some fluorite, but I don’t much feel like mixing substrate. Even if I did some divided substrate( IE a small area of sand that’s unplanted for ascetics), I’m not sure I’d have enough.

Poop.

• Like 1

It wouldn't bother me to mix substrates (in fact I plan to do just that next time as I have some of the stuff left) as they are all very similar and anyway if you are going the cherry shrimp route the buffering etc isn't important. I would mix them together though rather than doing part and part?

I have just finished reading my new 'invertebrates' book and it does recommend that Amano shrimp are best not kept with dwarf shrimp varieties as they will out compete them for food!

Simon

Update: Dry start initiated! One the way!

CCE1335A-0E1A-4096-A214-534E9046F0C2.jpeg

864EDB5A-FA14-49E7-B9F6-5820AEE6C2D8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have you painted the back glass? I’m thinking of doing that for my new tank as any material I put on the back always gets water damaged

• Like 1

Are you still going to stick moss on the wood?

I have re-read this thread as the title says caridia but you say the neocaridina are going in this tank, threw me a bit but thats not hard!

I am assuming it is neocaridina as you say cherry (RCS) in the original post so the sand will work fine as it is in part of the tank, with the soil substrate in the rest of it. The soil substrate will probably buffer the Ph for a while to lower than is 'ideal' for cherry shrimps but as long as you do a long acclimatisation when putting the shrimp in the tank I doubt it will be too much of a problem, I have both my cherries in with soil substrate. Over time the Ph will rise but it should happen slowly enough as the substrate exhausts of its buffering capabilities that it doesn't cause a problem but you should keep a close eye on Ph readings.

I'm not sure about the white stone as it maybe some type of limestone? It may work in your favour at the start if this tank is for cherries as it may speed up the buffering exhaustion of the soil as rocks usually raise the Ph, with a few exceptions. You may need to take it out later if the Ph goes too high though! 

Simon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Are you still going to stick moss on the wood?

I have re-read this thread as the title says caridia but you say the neocaridina are going in this tank, threw me a bit but thats not hard!

I am assuming it is neocaridina as you say cherry (RCS) in the original post so the sand will work fine as it is in part of the tank, with the soil substrate in the rest of it. The soil substrate will probably buffer the Ph for a while to lower than is 'ideal' for cherry shrimps but as long as you do a long acclimatisation when putting the shrimp in the tank I doubt it will be too much of a problem, I have both my cherries in with soil substrate. Over time the Ph will rise but it should happen slowly enough as the substrate exhausts of its buffering capabilities that it doesn't cause a problem but you should keep a close eye on Ph readings.

I'm not sure about the white stone as it maybe some type of limestone? It may work in your favour at the start if this tank is for cherries as it may speed up the buffering exhaustion of the soil as rocks usually raise the Ph, with a few exceptions. You may need to take it out later if the Ph goes too high though! 

Simon

This tank will be for RCS shrimp. I purchased a second , similar tank for a Cherry tank( sorry if I misspoke in the earlier posts). The rock was tested with muriatic acid, and soaked in the tank during the 6 day water test of the tank. I saw no bubbling with the acid test, and no PH or TDS changes from the rock during those tests.

I still plan on some moss for the wood, but I haven’t acquired any Christmas moss yet. Waiting on the postal service.

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

I understand the confusion (been there in the past), why they used CRS and RCS was obviously silly in hindsight (what idiot came up with that as they both could be both/either) but RCS is Neo and CRS is Caridina. I have deduced that the 17 gallon is for CRS and the 10 gallon for neos?

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK

1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I understand the confusion (been there in the past), why they used CRS and RCS was obviously silly in hindsight (what idiot came up with that as they both could be both/either) but RCS is Neo and CRS is Caridina. I have deduced that the 17 gallon is for CRS and the 10 gallon for neos?

Simon

The 17 gallon( current build thread) is for your existing  CRS, the 10 gallon is slated to hold Neos at some some point. 

My understanding was was that sand is neutral. I choose this for a non-planted area for two reasons:

1: I like the aesthetics from the contrast.

2. It gives me a clean, easy to maintain area to feed.

since the rock and the sand are neutral. I shouldn’t have an issue with them fighting the PH buffering, correct?On a side note, I fixed the original post to reflect CRS instead of RCS.

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ShrimpDesigns said:

Have you painted the back glass? I’m thinking of doing that for my new tank as any material I put on the back always gets water damaged

I did paint the back of the tank. I have access to some really great painting prep solvent( Final Klean), it’s superior to almost anything I’ve ever used. It’s expensive at 100.00 per gallon, but I have some on hand as I do some firearms coating, personally, and use it for that. Not sure where you’re at, but Krylon fusion is my preferred paint to use on my tanks. It’s  fantastic paint. If you decide to paint, just make sure to mask the ENTIRE tank, overspray will inevitably get on other parts of the tank.

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

The sand shouldn't compete with the buffering capacity of the soil so will be fine for the Crystal shrimps tank. You may want to get a clear feeding dish if you are planning to put food on the sand area as it will be difficult to remove food from sand!

I have seen people paint their tank rear on youtube, and just use a spray can (aerosol) same as you could buy from a car accessory shop, so it couldn't be any easier, I have never tried it though! As you say, you need to mask the tank well. Best to do it before you do anything else with the tank of course.

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

The sand shouldn't complete with the buffering capacity of the soil so will be fine for the Crystal shrimps tank. You may want to get a clear feeding dish if you are planning to put food on the sand area as it will be difficult to remove food from sand!

I have seen people paint their tank rear on youtube, and just use a spray can (aerosol) same as you could buy from a car accessory shop, so it couldn't be any easier, I have never tried it though! As you say, you need to mask the tank well. Best to do it before you do anything else with the tank of course.

Simon

I’ve ordered a dish already! I’m excited to have a feeding area, as my shrimp are now tanking prepared foods. I’m also considering replacing the rock on the right hand side( the single one inside the sand) with another piece of driftwood from the existing tank, once this one is full of water . I figure it will help move some bacteria, and provide more grazing area. Sponge-filter  sponges and bio ball media are inside the sump area of the Spec V now for two weeks, to seed them as well.

I lost several CRS during power outage from hurricane Dorian. 3 to be exact, so I’m pretty bummed about that. Even with the generator running, I couldn’t run anything but an air-stone, abs the temp got very high.  I guess it could have been worse. 

Lol, I couldn’t imagine trying to paint a tank that’s already set up. Although, it could be done if you had enough clearance, and used a small foam roller to paint,  instead of aerosol. 

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

You were lucky to just loose 3 shrimps  during hurricane Dorian, always look on the bright side??? 

It should work well with a feeding dish as the shrimps will swarm to it when you feed them if they are now getting used to food. 

Simon

17 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

You were lucky to just loose 3 shrimps  during hurricane Dorian, always look on the bright side??? 

It should work well with a feeding dish as the shrimps will swarm to it when you feed them if they are now getting used to food. 

Simon

I agree I’m lucky. It could have been so much worse. 

Question for the crowd. I’m getting a bit tired of buying and hauling  RODI water. Don’t get me wrong, at 2.50 per 5-gallons, it isn’t expensive. However, is it worth investing in an RODI setup, or should I keep buying RODI? Or, start testing tap and see if I can just use that?

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

I use this water jug which is an american product so easily available in US, I think Walmart sell them the link is mine so UK supplier so not good for you, just showing what it is. It may not be what you want as you have large tanks? It produces RO water the easy/cheap way. I have used it for a couple of years and others on here now use it, even in Hong Kong!

https://zerowater.co.uk/?variant=48184661572

I would buy the RO water from the shop to set up the tanks as that is easier and then just use it for water changes and maintenance/top up. I get about 100 Litres per filter cartridge with our water here!

I use tap water for neo's, but caridina will need RO remineralized of one form or another. You could try tap for the neo tank, if you test the tap water first to find out if it is usable, as I still need to top that up with GH/KH+ on one tank to get to the right figures?

Simon 

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I use this water jug which is an american product so easily available in US, I think Walmart sell them the link is mine so UK supplier so not good for you, just showing what it is. It may not be what you want as you have large tanks? It produces RO water the easy/cheap way. I have used it for a couple of years and others on here now use it, even in Hong Kong!

https://zerowater.co.uk/?variant=48184661572

I would buy the RO water from the shop to set up the tanks as that is easier and then just use it for water changes and maintenance/top up. I get about 100 Litres per filter cartridge with our water here!

I use tap water for neo's, but caridina will need RO remineralized of one form or another. You could try tap for the neo tank, if you test the tap water first to find out if it is usable, as I still need to top that up with GH/KH+ on one tank to get to the right figures?

Simon 

I’m really considering one of these. As a whole, the reviews are fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/LiquaGen-5-Stage-Reverse-Osmosis-Deionization/dp/B01FNAPGPA/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=RODI&qid=1568126541&s=gateway&sr=8-2#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

That is the normal route people tend to go, and with larger tanks is probably the most practical for larger quantities of water once everything is set up and plumbed in! 

Simon

• Like 1

Although, I could buy water for a long time at 120.00. That’s what, 240 gallons? And after the initial setup, we’re talking a few bucks for water changes a week.

Moss attached to the tree. I may just go ahead, fill up, and start the cycle. I had so much Repens when I broke it down, it’s 1/3 of the way to a carpet already, and I want to get these CRS transferred sooner than later. I’ve lost a few, and I’m certain it’s from lack of food. They are now attacking prepared foods, so I imagine they tank isn’t supporting them anymore. I also have several berries females. Cycle will take weeks, so I’d better get it going.

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

If you have everything ready you may as well fill the tank and start off the cycle!

Don't rush the cycling though!

I don't think I have ever not lost a few new shrimps in the first couple of weeks in a tank, no matter how careful you are (very rare to see the dead ones though)? I usually allow about 20% will die in the first 2 weeks from my experiences over the years? Even the last 10 I got 10 days ago,1 died by day 2, but more may have died out of sight.

Do you have the Amanos still in that tank?

I haven't ever said this before, but you have a lot of shrimp in that small tank so you may need to feed a bit more in that small tank for now as there may not be enough biofilm? Be cautious though!

Fantastic you have some berried.......

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK