Shrimp safe filter intake add-ons

Crabby

Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.

The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.

For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.

But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.

Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• Like 1

I don't know anything about those canister filters but if it were me I would leave a bucket of the old water from the clean before you go, next to the tank and if the sponge is simple enough to get off (I assume it just slips off) I would ask your person to squeeze out the filter every day in that bucket of old water, as you won't be there to keep an eye on it and best to play it safe. I use the cheapo type of sponge filters and squeeze them out between maintenance/water change and it literally takes less than 2 minutes and is really simple! I have a similar sponge (I imagine to what you have over the input of yours) on the output in the betta tank as they don't like current and I just slip it off, squeeze it out a few times and put it back on, about 15 seconds!

Probably not what you want to hear but I think it would be the safest way because you won't be around to know if anything goes wrong and it (or the mods if you do any) gets blocked and blows the motor!

If you do ask the person to do this ask them to wash their hands before they put them in the tank though in case they have been using cleaning products or something else toxic!

Simon

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crabclaw said:

For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.

You don't have to feed shrimp every day. 

Try every 3 days. Less for your shrimp minder to handle and less contamination of the tank.

As for the intake, just get a sponge pre-filter. You should be able to pick one up at any local fish store.

A coarse one like this should work. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Small-Filter-Intake-Sponge-Fry-Saver-Filter-Protection-Sponge-Aquarium-Cover/113751283698?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57927%26meid%3D318858af673e45c9888e63a75e76adf3%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D283374409959%26itm%3D113751283698%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

4 minutes ago, jayc said:

You don't have to feed shrimp every day. 

Try every 3 days. Less for your shrimp minder to handle and less contamination of the tank.

As for the intake, just get a sponge pre-filter. You should be able to pick one up at any local fish store.

A coarse one like this should work. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Small-Filter-Intake-Sponge-Fry-Saver-Filter-Protection-Sponge-Aquarium-Cover/113751283698?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57927%26meid%3D318858af673e45c9888e63a75e76adf3%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D283374409959%26itm%3D113751283698%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

That is the sponge I am using on my betta filter output spray bar!

Simon

First of all you haven't mentioned about the size of the tank, and if you are keeping fish with it, what I can suggest is get something like this or two if your tank is bigger, it could be any size or shape and is operated by a air pump, as long as you get surface tension of water movement, there would be enough air for the shrimps.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bio-Sponge-Aquarium-Fry-Betta-Shrimp-Nano-Fish-Tank-Pond-Filter-Foam-Type-CLG/362490585563?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D96543db8ec614f019c114d5ad865284a%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D113751283698%26itm%3D362490585563%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

instead of a sponge at the end, they also have a metal mesh type which wont clog up easily which can also be found on ebay or amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/NACX-Aquarium-Guard,Fish-Pre-Filter-Stainless/dp/B07TD7DV88/ref=sr_1_44?keywords=aquarium+water+mesh+filter&qid=1567249461&s=gateway&sr=8-44

As for water top up, you can DIY or buy from ebay, youtube has example of it.

https://ibb.co/XXF6b4G

https://ibb.co/NyDHTKG

https://ibb.co/ChbJQv9

https://ibb.co/2tgDcfN

https://ibb.co/K9Dc55w

https://ibb.co/2gf2hZd

https://ibb.co/zPXsHx2

Shrimps can be feed every 3 days, they can also find food around them, like biofilm.

Edited by kms

Ah sorry forgot to mention that kms.

tank is a 110L (29 gal) stocked with fish and shrimp. Currently have a cheap sponge filter over the inlet tube but it has been modded to make it a tight fit. Also need to turn off canister filter when cleaning sponge (simon thats how ive been doin it) so prefer not to have them doing that bit. I've found a good looking cheap mesh one, and those i think could be cleaned very easily... just have to make sure its the right size. 

kms im not that worried about top up, over 2.5 weeks i usually lose maybe 2-3 litres... meh.

Edited by Crabclaw
  • Like 1

the mesh filter opening is sold in 3 sizes, and is slightly flexible, so if there is a minor differences it should be able to accommodate it.

I forget to mention, if you are using a canister filter, why don't you use a glass inlet tube, I have one and using it, looks good, the holes are small and doesn't clog up, and most important, I haven't had any shrimps get suctup, i'm using a 1000lph canister filter.

https://www.amazon.com/POPETPOP-Aquarium-Hydro-dynamically-Designed-15x5x1cm/dp/B07Q752WNJ/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=aquarium+glass+inlet+tube&qid=1567257956&s=gateway&sr=8-23

20190829_163929.jpg

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

Oh looks exactly like the one i was gonna get except that's more expensive. Perfect. Tube was measured to be 13 mm so a bit of a squeeze into a 12 mm one but should work. Hopefully they wont even have to take it off, can just brush it witha toothbrush on a stick or somethin. 

Sorry for my bad punctuation, im just tired rn.

thx for the help guys!

Edited by Crabclaw
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crabclaw said:

Oh looks exactly like the one i was gonna get except that's more expensive. Perfect. Tube was measured to be 13 mm so a bit of a squeeze into a 12 mm one but should work. Hopefully they wont even have to take it off, can just brush it witha toothbrush on a stick or somethin. 

Sorry for my bad punctuation, im just tired rn.

thx for the help guys!

yep 12mm should work, and you only put it through running water to clean, no need a toothbrush.

I was trying to avoid having them take it on and off... we'll see tho.

I have these mesh filters, they work better than the sponge, I don't use it now, I used to have it on a hang on filter, now I have a canister filter with a glass tube, you can see it in the photo posted above.

I've been using it for a good 3-4 months, haven't cleaned it, and also the filter hasn't been cleaned, I only have shrimps and they don't produce much waste.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2019 at 8:14 PM, kms said:

the mesh filter opening is sold in 3 sizes, and is slightly flexible, so if there is a minor differences it should be able to accommodate it.

I forget to mention, if you are using a canister filter, why don't you use a glass inlet tube, I have one and using it, looks good, the holes are small and doesn't clog up, and most important, I haven't had any shrimps get suctup, i'm using a 1000lph canister filter.

https://www.amazon.com/POPETPOP-Aquarium-Hydro-dynamically-Designed-15x5x1cm/dp/B07Q752WNJ/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=aquarium+glass+inlet+tube&qid=1567257956&s=gateway&sr=8-23

20190829_163929.jpg

What filter is it? It seems that the link doesn't work. Is it Polar Aurora

Edited by stillc
  • Like 1