Thoughts on 2.5 gallon shrimp only tank?

FancyBubbles

Besides a bit difficulty on keeping the water parameters on safe levels, you guys think it would be alright keeping some ghost shrimp in here? And what amount of shrimp would not be overstocking for this tank? Sorry if my questions just seem too "straight forward sounding", I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Ever since getting my betta I just made sure everything is spot on when it comes to caring for pets of any kind and even starting to think the 12 gallon he's in right now isn't enough. Probably this post will soon become pointless as I go get a 5 gallon or bigger for the ghost shrimp I'm planning on buying.

Sponge filter kinda looks beat up since I plan on switching the carbon after a month with Fluval ceramic rings (they're pre filter rings) and clean the sponge. It's a cartridge that can't be open so I had to modify it a little bit.

And yeah, filter is really needed. (I had a question about it on a post). I ordered a sponge filter, although it arrived in 2 days the shrimp didn't make it. Now I only have some shrimp eggs left. Hopefully some of it survived.

20190828_205410.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FancyBubbles said:

guys think it would be alright keeping some ghost shrimp in here? And what amount of shrimp would not be overstocking for this tank?

Looks a bit small to be honest. The shrimp will physically fit, but keeping water parameters under control will be a pain in the ass.

If you really want to try, 5 or 6 shrimp in there maybe. That's the type of tank I would use as a hospital tank, not as a long term solution. Heck I have external canister filters bigger than that. ?

Test it out with a small population of cheap ghost shrimps. 

• Like 1

It isn't one I would use as it is too small.  I would get the 5 gallon you suggest but that will need cycling and growing biofilm so 1-2 months of running anyway before getting shrimps. As JayC says you could try a few cheap shrimps but I doubt it would work in honesty!

It looks about the size of the tank I keep daphnia in to feed my betta?

Simon