Question about shrimp eggs

FancyBubbles

I recently got some shrimp, as mentioned on my first post. But I'll explain it here. The shrimp were just for extra cleaners for my betta tank. 3 of the shrimp got their eyes eaten by my betta, so I separated the rest in another tank. Unfortunately I didn't have another filter ready, so I ordered one on Amazon. Although it took 2 days to arrive, the remaining shrimp already died. I had a second filter media in my betta tank so I moved that to the shrimp tank, while also using the water from my betta tank.

The parameters for shrimp tank were 0 except for ammonia, which was .50 Which probably was the cause of death, along with no filter to oxygenate the water.

Betta tank is fully cycled

Some of the shrimp were berried and I tried my best to take the eggs from the dead shrimp. Managed to get some of them. They're currently in a tiny cup that's in my betta tank, covered with some stocking so the eggs won't flow out while my sponge filter moves it around. (it's hanging right above the sponge filter where the bubbles are flowing)

How can you tell the eggs aren't "dead"? I noticed some 2 tiny black dots on the eggs that kinda look like their shrimp eyes. And any chance of the eggs actually surviving?

• Like 1

Yes there is a good chance some eggs will survive.

Keep the eggs tumbling in oxygenated water, basically what you are doing now. Are the eggs in the tank with the Betta? ie. the cycled tank?

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Yeah they're in the tank rn. The betta can't get to it also, top is covered (water can still go through) and he doesn't swim near the bubbling area

• Like 1