Shrimp Dying, No Idea why

Steensj2004

2 hours ago, Steensj2004 said:

But I’ve been eyeing the Neos mentioned for the other tank build I’m scoping out right now..... lol.

LOL. Looks like you are heading down that path of acquiring multiple tanks. Good luck. There is no coming back from that :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jayc said:

LOL. Looks like you are heading down that path of acquiring multiple tanks. Good luck. There is no coming back from that ?

Well, I mean, you need at least three right? One for Caridina, one for Neos, and one for culls? Wait, make that 4. Two cull tanks because different parameters ?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Steensj2004 said:

Well, I mean, you need at least three right? One for Caridina, one for Neos, and one for culls? Wait, make that 4. Two cull tanks because different parameters ?

I won't hold my breath that it stops there either??????????????

I would probably combine the culls in one tank if you can get the parameters the top end of caridina and the 2 types don't cross breed so don't need to be separated.

Simon

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I would probably combine the culls in one tank if you can get the parameters the top end of caridina and the 2 types don't cross breed so don't need to be separated.

Yeah I'm planning on doing that with tts and blue dreams or blue/carbon rillis, cuz tts can do neo parameters (or so I've heard)

• Like 2

Can confirm. I keep TTS in both Neo and Caridina set ups.

• Like 2

So everything is holding  hard, for almost a week, at

Ph: 6.5-6.6

KH: 1

GH: 5

TDS: 160( finally got this down and solid).  

So this happened.....

4E9E1460-A2D3-49C1-88C6-32F64AC9F6E3.jpeg

• Like 1

Those parameters look perfect for caridina shrimps and oh look one appears???? How many did you get?

As cherry shrimp aren't as fragile you may be able to keep some in there as well if you want to as they are only just below cherry shrimps (or as blue ridge states TTs) ideal range!

Pleased to hear it is going so well. I assume you are using (correctly) GH+ now instead of GH/KH+ you were using?

Simon

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Those parameters look perfect for caridina shrimps and oh look one appears???? How many did you get?

As cherry shrimp aren't as fragile you may be able to keep some in there as well if you want to as they are only just below cherry shrimps (or as blue ridge states TTs) ideal range!

Pleased to hear it is going so well. I assume you are using (correctly) GH+ now instead of GH/KH+ you were using?

Simon

Using SS G+ 

I picked up 20. Several are excellent grade being nearly all white. I’m impressed.

I also ordered a 10 gallon rimless. Considering setting up this 10 gallon and cycling to transfer the CRS, then converting the Spec V for Cherries. 

Stratum and driftwood work for the new tank if I'm keeping CRS, right?

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 1

You don't hang about do you? Cycling a new tank can't be rushed though.......... at least you already have the shrimps in a tank so there won't be that niggle to rush you, you may even have babies before then?

Hopefully the CRS will settle into their temporary new tank without any issues as the parameters are perfect at least.

I use soil substrate, Lava rock, driftwood and plants and that's about it really so you should be fine with any combo of those and what you have picked up knowledge wise on here! I don't have experience of Stratum but they should all be fairly similar I would think.

Simon

• Like 2

Fluval Stratum is active soil that buffers water acidic (as for Caridina) to the best of my knowledge. For Neo's I prefer using inert substrates such as Eco Complete, Flourite, or plain ol' aquarium gravel. I'll put driftwood in any shrimp tank.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

You don't hang about do you? Cycling a new tank can't be rushed though.......... at least you already have the shrimps in a tank so there won't be that niggle to rush you, you may even have babies before then?

Hopefully the CRS will settle into their temporary new tank without any issues as the parameters are perfect at least.

I use soil substrate, Lava rock, driftwood and plants and that's about it really so you should be fine with any combo of those and what you have picked up knowledge wise on here! I don't have experience of Stratum but they should all be fairly similar I would think.

Simon

Oh, I don’t plan on transferring them any time soon, don’t misunderstand me. I’m just trying to figure out how I’m going about this new tank. I figure what, on the norm a month of more  before the new tank will be ready. 

27 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

Fluval Stratum is active soil that buffers water acidic (as for Caridina) to the best of my knowledge. For Neo's I prefer using inert substrates such as Eco Complete, Flourite, or plain ol' aquarium gravel. I'll put driftwood in any shrimp tank.

I’m thinking about this new tank, specifically. I guess the combo I’m currently using will create the same parameters I currently have, which will be great for the CRS. I plan to grab a second, identical 10 gallon to setup for Cherries. Trying to do a side by side, one Neos and one Cards.

Edited by Steensj2004
  • Like 2

Just for reasons of water hardness, consider an inert substrate in the Neo tank. They will certainly live and breed on buffering soil, but it's not needed and does kind of complicate things. If I was setting up for Neos only, not a doubt I would avoid active substrate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steensj2004 said:

Ph: 6.5-6.6

KH: 1

GH: 5

TDS: 160( finally got this down and solid).  

Looking good.

I'm with the others as well. If you are starting a new tank, set it up for cherries and use inert gravel or sand.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jayc said:

Looking good.

I'm with the others as well. If you are starting a new tank, set it up for cherries and use inert gravel or sand.

Oh, I plan to convert this smaller one for cherries, with sand for substrate and these rocks that became worthless for a while, lol. 

• Like 1

The tank you have now could be used as a combined cull tank when the new ones are up and running and you won't need to change anything as it is fine as it is, just a thought to mull over in the interim period!

Simon 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

The tank you have now could be used as a combined cull tank when the new ones are up and running and you won't need to change anything as it is fine as it is, just a thought to mull over in the interim period!

Simon 

I like the way you do business, sir!

• Thanks 1

I know this forum isn’t  a bout plants, but would you run a Fluval Plant 3.0 nano over the new 10 gallon tank or a Kessil A80 Tuna Sun? Coming from the reef hobby I love Kessils, but it would cost me much more for the controller on the Kessil vs. the Fluval that has a built in controller.

Edited by Steensj2004

5 hours ago, Steensj2004 said:

Fluval Plant 3.0 nano

More than enough for a 10 Gal.

Kessil A80 Tuna Sun

Kessil if you have the funds.

I know this forum isn’t  a bout plants,

Now, why would you think that?

This forum is all about anything aquatic. Fish, Shrimps, snails and anything that will go into a tank, or outside the tank to run it. The original forum name "Shrimp Keepers Forum" was changed to SKF Aquatics to avoid confusion that we are a shrimp only forum.

Edited by jayc

25 minutes ago, jayc said:

More than enough for a 10 Gal.

Kessil if you have the funds.

Now, why would you think that?

This forum is all about anything aquatic. Fish, Shrimps, snails and anything that will go into a tank, or outside the tank to run it. The original forum name "Shrimp Keepers Forum" was changed to SKF Aquatics to avoid confusion that we are a shrimp only forum.

Ah, thanks for the input.

the Kessil is definitely inside my ability, but at the same time, I want to run two tanks. Two Fluvals will cost about the same as one Kessil with the controller. I’ve also considered an AI Prime Freshwater too. Hmmm. Will the Fluval grow Dwarf Baby Tears with CO2 injection? I’m dying to carpet some baby dwarf tears, but I’m not sure any of the cheaper options would so this( new to plants like this). 

Additonal considerations are obviously:

AI Prime Freshwater

Ecotech Radion Freshwater

Current Marine Satellite Plus

Thoughts on these additional  lights? I’m not afraid to spend the cash, but I don’t want to pay more than I need to, for power I won’t use.

Edited by Steensj2004

I've owned both brands on the reef side of things also, and like you said both are solid choices with the Kessil being very high end. The latest software update from the Fluval 3.0 has people raving on other forums. I would not invest in either of these if not setting up a high tech tank with pressurized CO2. I mean, you could dial them down easily enough but if doing that there are less expensive LED options than either that would fit the bill quite well.

Went to submit this yesterday and there was a forum update going on. Yes, that Fluval will grow pretty much any carpeting plant. There are many tank journals online of people using them with spectacular results. I do not doubt that the Kessil is more "hand crafted" and better made, but you hit the point of diminishing returns for your dollar at some price point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the help!

Another question. Is anyone using mineral balls? If so, is anyone making their own from montmorillonite clay? I see GlasGarten makes some Mineral Junkie balls, but are these really worth it?

Edited by Steensj2004

I bought them (and every other shrimp product under the sun) when I first saw them come out, but never reordered more when I ran out. It's one of those things that is impossible to quantify, like oxygenators and scores of other products catered to us. I'm not ready to call them all snake oil or anything, but I'm having better success taking the minimalist approach these days and not adding much to my tanks at all.

• Like 2

Snap with blue ridge. My shrimp stuff supplier doesn't stock them anymore, though I originally bought them from them (shrimplab ones)? I don't know whether they work/(ed) or not?

Simon

What about foods? What are your preferred foods?