Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, Crabclaw said:

so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right?

I still wouldn't risk it. Apistos are aggressive towards crustaceans. The whole crab might not fit in it's big mouth, but their legs will. Apistos "could" take them apart piece by piece. 

Can you subdivide the 110L by adding a piece of perspex? It will need holes in it to let water flow through.

Otherwise a new tank for the crabs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That sounds a bit like puffers, I have seen them attack crabs and even lobster many times their size, very gruesome????

Simon 

9 minutes ago, jayc said:

Can you subdivide the 110L by adding a piece of perspex?

Doubt it. It’s more of a show tank. Big piece of driftwood runs through all of it.

11 minutes ago, jayc said:

Apistos are aggressive towards crustaceans. The whole crab might not fit in it's big mouth, but their legs will. Apistos "could" take them apart piece by piece

That doesn’t sound good. Guess I’ll be setting up a new tank if I want to keep crabs. Thanks jayc 

• Like 1