Sign in to follow this  
Spongy

Welcome Spongy

Spongy

Well, after my very sad news the other day I discovered one of my cherries are berried

2nd chance at being a shrimp Mum.

We have moved all 5 of our cherries into Shrimptopia. Surely I can't fluff this up!

The 2 boys are loving it already and are exploring everything. Mum to be (Marri) is just playing with the moss balls. 

It took about 2 hours to drip acclimatise them, then a further hour or two to ensure the temperature was right.

Fingers crossed, this should be easier! Lol. 

x

• Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

I Hope you get lots of cherry shrimplets soon, there shouldn't be any problem breeding those, the only slight risk is that you may have stressed the mother by moving her while berried so there is a slight chance (small chance but just letting you know in case it happens, not to panic) that this batch won't come to anything. If she still has the eggs after a few days you should be fine! Cherry shrimp are really easy so all you will need to do is sit back and watch the little shrimplets grow!

Simon

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Welcome newbie! That sounds a lot of pests you have? I have used SLAqua Z1 which is meant for hydra and Planaria, and it worked for the hydra I had - not sure if  it is available where you are? It sounds like you have done your research and know what to do? I would probably just buy everything new and start again so there is zero risk of a recurrence as you have several problems, and be slightly quicker and could go up a size of aquarium if that is something that interests you etc and as you state you are going to cycle it again, but I usually do take the easiest route, though that tends to be the costliest! I can't see any problems with your plan though you could just use tap water dechlorinated at stage 6 as that will be removed a week later? I would probably get new sponge for the filter as I expect that is really cheap as well and that can go in with the shrimps in the temporary tank to get some bacteria on ready (it can just float in the tank)!  How many blue bolts do you currently have? Simon
    • Grubs
      I hope you can feed them. I kept pipefish for a while but had enormous trouble feeding them.  They wouldn't take any prepared foods and are massive predators so I was feeding them all my small fish and all the shrimp I could throw at them.    When I got them I thought they'd eat fresh hatched brine shrimp but no they wanted MUCH bigger.   They both jumped out of the open top tank.  
    • Grubs
      DAS are very robust and I've kept them in a tank with Melbourne tap water and in rainwater with  DIY hardness booster.  You'll find them in Northern Australia in both the fresh and brackish sections of rivers so they have really wide tolerances.  My tanks range from 24C to 29C If you get some keep the covers on for the first 2 weeks as they can be jumpy if your water parameters are a long way from what they were housed in. After a couple of weeks they settle down and rarely jump.  I know some people with open tanks put gladwrap over the top for the first couple of weeks only. I'll also suggest that no-way will they interbreed with your Tangerine Tigers -  they are very different shrimp and their bits wont fit together even if they were so inclined.   If money is tight then Paratya are about half the biomass but will breed up easily and also wont cross with the TT .... or do both.  You can keep all three together in the same tank.
    • Crabclaw
      Idk my tds but the rest sounds similar to my tap. If Grubs uses just dechlorinated tap water too then we probably would have the same parameters as we’re both in melb. And that’s my normal temp as well.  How do you keep them @Grubs?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would get a few if you like them, the odd loss of a baby shrimp wouldn't really be a problem. There are lots of shrimp people that have the dwarf Corys with their shrimps.As you say, it maybe better to wait a bit until you have more shrimps first but the cory doesn't hunt shrimps as food! Simon