What is Biofilm?

jacet

On 9/1/2016 at 8:33 AM, ageofaquariums said:

Perhaps netting would be a good medium for growing shrimp biofilm food?

Hmm... I don't have many nets... but I've got yards and yards of tulle!  (Which for those of you who have never seen the inside of a craft or cloth store, looks like a loose net.)

• HOF Member

I tried the net idea . I put the net in a container I had outside with spare plants in and left it there for 24 hours. I put the net into one of my tanks and first it was attacked by some shrimp, which is unusual as my shrimp aren't much interested in food etc, then the snails moved in. I will see how many more I catch in the morning.

Oh that's probably a good sign...  It's too cold here still to put much outside. 

Kinda surprised 24 hrs was enough to have a noticeable result.

On 1 September 2016 at 8:33 AM, ageofaquariums said:

A trick we use to cull snails is to leave a fish net in a bucket of aquarium water. Outside if possible. Few days later the net will have a nice biofilm on it. If the net is then added to an aquarium, snails will swarm all over it. Net can then be removed, the snails shaken off and the process repeated.

Perhaps netting would be a good medium for growing shrimp biofilm food?

Will have to try this, especially to see how many snails will fall for this trick. Thanks for the advice @ageofaquariums the biofilm also a bonus for the shrimp.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great idea. Would like to know the results. Keep us updated.

• Like 1