New cubes

lachie1998

Thanks Rob, were should i put the holes? in the center of the back ?

Go for a nice clean look and put it in the top left or right corner. If youre limited for back / front space because of a wall or something, you can alternatively drill the base and put a stand pipe. Irrigation stores have really good ss strainers now that fit straight into the bulk heads. refer to deans rack build.

• Like 1

Yea i want a nice clean look. Do you think i will have any problems drilling them cause the glass is 5mm ? Have you done it before Rob? want to come and help me haha I have been looking at vids on youtube on drilling tanks.

It's easy Lachie just start off on an angle with a battery drill running water cut into glass a bit on the angle then turn it flat and just go slow with the flowing water

Easy way to drill glass is use pieces of 19mm pine drill the same size hole as you are drilling and put a hole in the piece pine.... Get some thin rubber like a bike tube and stick it to the pine so it gives the pine some grip and clamp the pine in place..... Use a clamp with rubber feet on it and dont do it up tight just enough to hold in place as that is what the bike tube rubber is for.... Use a cordless drill with a low speed and slow and steady will win the race just make sure you use plenty of water... can cost a lot to set up right to drill but if you cut corners you can crack tanks...

Also with the pine, cut a piece that will fit inside the tank snuggly. And place it where your drilling just incase you put to much pressure on the glass the wood should help prevent cracking.

Just reading the last few threads, gave me a shiver down my spine ! Glass & me don't get along. LOL

Ive done it plenty of times before. the hardest bit is getting the damn drill bit to grip on the glass initially then the rest is easy. REMEMBER TO PUT A TOWEL OR SOMETHING OVER THE OPPOSITE GLASS. Since you should be drilling downward, gravity plus the cut glass dont mix well. Youll crack the other side. Its a two person job unless youve got clamps and stuff. Dont go the putty route making a small pool of water around the hole you want to cut, you cant see where youre cutting because the water will fog up with glass dust. Someone hold the hose on trickle and someone drill. Like above, start on an angle and move towards a flat once you get a grip on the glass. Light pressure and low speed gradually building. too much pressure and youll crack the glass. let me know if you want a little tutorial, i could probably whip a small video up for you and dust off the ol' drill bit.

Got some paint, going to test on a little tank i got laying around first

DSCN4970_zps15bce5f2.jpg

Hey Lachie,

I tried to use the same brand paint only it was the flat enamel and I found that it would not stick once dried. It would flake off if you touched it and it bubbled and looked crap on my tank so I scratched it off. I then saw a post by JPN07 of his tank thread that he used Easy Surface Prep so I gave that a go on my 3 foot tank and it worked really well. I hope you have better luck than I did :)

Thanks Trav, im going to give this ago on a old tank i got instead of on of the cubes. If it doesnt work ill give the easy prep ago :encouragement:

Rob- i went to bunnings today and i couldnt find the 25mm bulkheads only 20mm would 20mm do?

hi mate, give this website a go for all the plumbing stuff you need.

i use them for everything i do and they are by far the cheapest i know of and everything is delivered to your door and nost times is still

cheaper than bunnings or a pluming supply shop.

bulk heads are here. i would recommend 25mm as smaller size will be noisy and easier to block.

http://www.wetearth.com.au/Threaded-Nyglass-Tank-Inlet-Bulkhead-Fittings

this is the website

http://www.wetearth.com.au/Product/ProductSearch1.asp

Thanks for the links Dean, were do you get the stainless steel intakes?

I got mine from dowdens plumbing here in Mackay for my first rack and then the second rack I made my own out of 2 fittings and stainless mesh check my DIY thread but yeah I'd say try an actual plumbing place mate see if they can't point you in right track smallest size I could find though was 1 inch that was a screw in fitting also

• 3 weeks later...
  • HOF Member

Hi Lachie,

looking good will be a great setup when finished. Where did you get the cubes ? I tried googling them but couldn't find any.

cheers

ineke

Hi Lachie' date='

looking good will be a great setup when finished. Where did you get the cubes ? I tried googling them but couldn't find any.

cheers

ineke[/quote']

I got them from city pet and aquarium. But there in NSW and looks like you are in SA.

• HOF Member

Yes I'm in Adelaide will have to do the rounds of our shops me thinks! They look nice and crisp.

cheers Ineke

• 1 month later...

Hey SKF

Well this rack will sadly not go ahead :sorrow: but i swapped them for two 4ft tanks and eight 2ft tanks (have 10) so there will deffinitly be another build but i don't think this one will house shrimp. I couldn't justify spending so much money setting up a shrimp rack (chiller, soil, ect..) when i have high quality flowerhorn that i should be breeding. I will post some pics up on the weekend of my new tanks and plans for the new racks.

cheers

You do realise resistance is futile.....hoping you have atleast a tank set aside for shrimps ?

I still have one cube with my crs,cbs and mixed cherrys:D

I still have one cube with my crs' date='cbs and mixed cherrys:D[/quote']

Phew :victorious: