New cubes

lachie1998

Today i went and bought 3 new Mr Aqua 30cm cubes :D These will be shrimp only tanks.

Im planing to run them off just sponge filters. I think i might go with ADA Amazonia soil.

DSCN4846.jpg

DSCN4847.jpg

this is how i plan to set it up, need to get three more tanks :)

what do you guys think on how i should set it up? what soil, lighting, filtration?

cheers

• Like 1

mate!!! your on your way now :)

soil will depend on what shrimp you will be keeping.

eg, benibachi for KK,RW,BB & crystals. inert gravel for cherry shrimp.

sponge filters can be used by them selves but you need to stay on top of you tank maintenance and keep your water clean.

lighting really doesnt mater to much, 1x T5HO 6foot will cove all 3 tanks so would only need 2 lights if you did it like that??

cant wait to see the progress mate, if you need any shrimp to kick start your racks let me know and ill send you a few :)

Thanks Dean :)

I was thinking of keeping different colored cherry's in each section along with crs and cbs. Id like to try pure red line and pure black line. I may also try out some TB or tigers.

For lighting i was thinking of LED's because of the heat output from fluorescent lights.

Do you think there would be a effective way of keeping these tanks cool? cause i don't really want to drill them or connect them to a sump id rather them be isolated but the same water conditions by using the same soils and additives.

When there setup Dean ill contact you for a few Cherry's variety's. Hopefully there will be some greens available that i can selectively breed :D

ive never used that type of filter..

but kd think it would be more effective if the bottom or inlet of the pvc was blocked and you drill some small holes up the pipe so that you utilise the whole sponge..

also with cleaning sponge it may get messy..

id stick to the plain factory made sponge filters..

just my 2 cents..

also thats a really nice start to the rack.

good luck.

Awesome lachie, exciting times ahead......

+1 on the issue of tank maintenance with only sponge filters. If money isn't an issue (who are we kidding, it always is), the toto filters on each of these cubes plus the sponge filters would rock

+1 on the plain factory sponge filter, the HMF would perhaps give a larger surface area, but wouldn't look great ? Unless that doesn't bother you or there's a plan b to covet it ?

Chilling the tank should also be a consideration....is the room kept cool ? Benefits of a sump is that you only need one chiller and heater.

Well done mate, great to see the expansion program !

Sure do :D

BB- Totto filters would be great but they are not very cheap :sorrow:

Would overflow boxes work? then i could run the system off a sump.

I would drill holes in each tank...no idea whether there's a SKF member that may assist ? Or cost ?

Have attach the pic of my setup up with holes drilled on the side of each tank, and the other pic with the inflow/spray bars.

post-70-139909858711_thumb.jpgpost-70-139909858716_thumb.jpg

Hope tis helps....

post-24-139909847136_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909847142_thumb.jpg

I think i will go with the sumped option that way i can hook a chiller up to all the tanks :) could you please get some more pics of the plumbing and stuff?

thanks for the help:D

My sum set up takes advantage of all 3... Have sponge filters in each tank, overflow feeding into sump, and 2 x cannister filters circulating the sump, with a sump pump then feeding the UV, and back to the tank....all water changes, additives etc.... are only done in the sump.....charcoal, nitrazorb, etc, can be then thrown into the sump.... Also added a de-nitrator into the sump.

Great job Lachie. Very excited to see this :)

I would go with the a large sump that has been plumbed into the whole setup and

sponge filters in every cube.

The more filtration the better

• 3 weeks later...

Wow can't believe I missed this thread great start Lachie can't wait to see a finished project :)

My suggestion. Get a 90 cm by 30 cm stand and put all three together. Drill holes and sump away!!! More water equals better tank stability

Thats what im doing gbang.

any advise on hole size and blukhead size?

what colour should i paint the backs of them? im thinking of using black

I agree. Black is a good colour for shrimp tank. Choose oil base paint, flat black. Cant wait to see more pics :D