Sign in to follow this  
Felenah

fluorite gravel and affecting water parameters

Felenah

I have a ten gallon aquarium with bloody mary shrimp.  I have been using fluorite gravel and it keeps pushing up my GH and KH.  I am now changing 20% of my water every week in order to try and slowly adjust it.  My GH had been 15 and my KH about 10.  I now have it down to GH of 14 and a KH of about 7.  I have researched this on other sites and it seems that the Fluorite gravel will gradually stop leaching calcium.  I have also been reading that a KH of 8 and above can cause problems with neocardina secondary to their shells getting too hard and the resultant white circle of death.  My TDS can run anywhere from 230 or 240 after a water change up to 280  to 290 at the end of the week.  Ph is 7.5 and above.  I am no longer adding any supplements to the water.

One more question.  I am using salty shrimp GH/KH premium aiming for a TDS of 100 after off gassing as the water I change with.  I am adding it slowly over 6 hours.  The distilled water has a ph of about 6.4 before I add the salty shrimp.  After I add the salty shrimp to a TDS of about 100 my ph increases to about 7.5.

Suggestions?

jayc
9 hours ago, Felenah said:

After I add the salty shrimp to a TDS of about 100 my ph increases to about 7.5.

That's due to the salty shrimp GH/KH+ which is doing what it is supposed to.

If you don't want pH to rise you need to use Salty Shrimp GH+.

That fluorite substrate needs to go.

Depending on which version of Fluorite you bought, the red or black version, flourite has iron, 

potassium and magnesium and high levels of calcium and sodium present.

Edited by jayc

sdlTBfanUK

As JayC states, that may not be suitable substrate for shrimp so you should probably consider changing it for a different substrate. The Ph of 7.5 is fine as cherry shrimp are suited to that and under normal circumstances salty shrimp Gh/Kh+ is the one to use with cherry shrimp, but the combination of the substrate and the salty shrimp is compounding the parameters to go so high.

The increase in the TDS during the week may be part down to evaporation as you should top up evaporation with RO non-mineralised water.  Both your sets of TDS numbers though should be ok with cherry shrimp! 

In the meantime I would try not using the GH/KH+ which should help bring your parameters down a bit more towards the requirements of the shrimp (though the GH/KH+ has all the ingredients that shrimp need obviously?). You will want to slowly reduce the figures anyway even if you change the substrate so that the parameters are closer together

You may want to watch this video as it is very informative and may help you decide on where to go from here????

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14161-basics-for-shrimp-keeping-video/

You should be ok using distilled water but I would do the full set of tests on some to start with just to double check, in theory it should be 0 TDS/GH/KH etc as I am sure you know? The choice of substrate is dependant on what you are hoping to keep in the tank, soil substrate if you are keeping lots of plants (though that in itself will alter some parameters), but you can use an inert substrate with cherry shrimps as they don't need the buffering effect of the soils as bee shrimps do! My cherry shrimp live in dechlorinated tap water, but as he states in the video RO water remineralised is better as it has everything in it the shrimp require?

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK

Felenah

Thank you both so much!  I have struggled.  I will change out the substrate.  Thank you again!

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• NoGi
    • Brentwillmers
      By Brentwillmers
      Hi SKF members 
      I have a question to ask for you seasoned shrimp veterans.  
      I am planning to be away from my shrimp tanks for up to 3 weeks. I will have someone who can throw in some food every now and then but hasn't got the time or know how's of testing or water changes.
      trying to plan ahead. This will be the first time I'm away for this long and starting to feel really uneasy about leaving them. 
      I will have plenty of boss shrimp snow and barley pellets. Will also have RO water for top ups. Will do a water change before I leave and make sure I have enough water for a water change when I get back. 
      What else should I or shouldn't do or prepare for. 
      How can I ensure that the tanks will be stable for the time I'm away. 
      Any info really appreciated. 
      Thanks
    • travellife
      By travellife
      I have a group of 18 shrimpettes that were born in my jarrarium which is roughly 1-1/2 gallons and planted with Anubias, Java Moss, Wisteria & Ludwigia.  The babies are 3-1/2 months old.  The water is not heated nor filtered, I have Aquasolum substrate and top off with Prime treated water as needed.
      The TDS is 88, the KH is 35.8ppm, the GH is 53.7ppm.  Nitrite/Nitrate/Ammonia are 0 every time I test, the regular pH is 7.6, high pH is 7.4
      I'm worried about the KH/GH, shouldn't it be a lot higher?  So far I haven't seen any failed molts and hope to keep it that way.  I'm looking at purchasing SL Aqua Blue Wizard to remineralize.  It looks like an easy product for a newbie such as myself.  Should I buy some organic spinach in the meantime and prepare that for them to help with their calcium/magnesium?  So far I've only fed them Marineland Color Enhancing Flakes which they love. 
      Google Album
    • Dimos
      By Dimos
      Hi all,
      Sorry to ask this, but I couldn't find a precise answer on the web. What would be the ideal water parameters for the Cherry Shrimp? (ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, GH, KH).
      Thanks,
      Dimos
    • jba6511
      By jba6511
      I am new to keeping shrimp and was hoping someone can help me sort through some issue with the water parameters of my tank. The tank is a 4.6 gallon cube, that runs between 72 - 74 (22.22 - 23.33) degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates and 0 nitrites. It has been cycled and running since December 2015 but about a month back converted to a shrimp tank (removed the fish, did a 100% water change and added sponge over filter). Current inhabitants are a nerite snail and 1 RCS.   I initially had 3 RCS, but lost two. I believe this was due to them trying to molt as they both had white lines on their back, but were fine the day before (one after 7 days and another after 12 days). I also have some java jerns, java moss, dwarf sags, crypt wendetti, and some floaters.
      Current water parameters:
      TDS: 166ppm
      GH: 1.7
      KH: 0
      My PH is also low (6 something if I recall but can measure this again if needed). I am using tap water that I add prime to that is then place in a rubbermaid with a powerhead until I need to do top offs / water changes.  So far all I have done is top off on the shrimp tank. My plan is to pick up some Salty Shrimp and add that to the tap water to raise GH and KH. I believe I should be shooting for a GH between 6-8 and KH of 2-5, with a TDS between 80 and 200. I also plan to add some iodine twice a week to try and address the molting issue.
      Does this seem reasonable? Any additional changes I should be making or consider? Once the water parameters are in order, I would like to add some additional RCS to the tank.

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Those parameters are perfect! I think I experienced the same with the algae on plants when I restarted the caridina shrimp tank, but mine seems to have almost cleared up as well - taken months though. One of my failed attempts with tap water many years ago I had PRL and PBL and it did look much more interesting than just the one colour. They didn't live long enough (maybe 6 months) to really know what the offspring would look like though they will still be red crystal or black crystal  so they should be fine together. If one colour does become more dominant then you can always get some more of the lesser coloured ones anyway in the future.. I did get red babies but no babies lived very long as it was tap water! I would try transferring just some shrimps (may be a third) over to the new tank if you are sure it is cycled and see how they go in a week before transferring the rest over? You won't want too many in the tank anyway if you will be messing about with plants/layout still and you won't loose the whole lot if something does go wrong? Maybe also put the Amanos in the new tank for now so the ones in the old tank won't be fitting with them any more for food? Simon
    • Steensj2004
      Update. I filled the tank, unfortunately, there was some melting of plants and some light hair algae( algae is only on the leaves of some plants, nowhere else?). Adjusted my light schedule and intensity. Things are looking better. Did a 70% water change, remineralized with GH+ powder, and clean tonight. Levels are as follows:   PH: 6.4 Temp: 75 GH: 6-7 KH: 0-1 TDS: 140   Wondering  when I should transfer the shrimps... I want to order 10-20 more CRS, and I’m considering mixing in some CBS. I’m not concerned with selling these, so it would be neat to have two different colors. I know the Black coloration is dominant, but, from what I’ve read, I’ll still get reds from offspring in two-ish generations. Someone said expect 25-30% reds. What do you guys think? My  additional plants haven’t been delivered today, so thats a bummer.
    • Blue Ridge
      Thanks, the ol' iPhone 6 rarely makes me happy, but if you take enough sometimes you'll get one good one!
    • kms
      Nice shrimps, I like that blue bolt in the 7th photo, I want one, I also just purchased today another 8 Red Wine to join my other 3 in the tank, along with one amano shrimps and 23 thai micro crabs.
    • sdlTBfanUK