beanbag

Filter for shrimp tank

beanbag

I know about the different types of filters, but wanted to ask more generally:

1)Mechanical filtration: You know that tan-brown gunk that usually gets trapped in the filter?  Do you try to filter the water as much as possible, or rather let chunks of this get recirculated?  I once saw a successful CRS tank with no mechanical filtration, the water had all kinds of debris and stuff floating in it, and the shrimp seemed very happy and picking at everything.

2) Biomedia: do u prefer sponge or any of the hard ceramic / rock / sintered glass things?  Secondly, do you purposely try to go overboard with the biomedia (which is what I hear some Asian Bee shrimp breeders do) or just use as little as necessary?  In my tank setup, the biomedia is actually after the filter outlet, where the stream of water sprays on a small pile of Biomax and lava rocks.  It seems the shrimp like to gather there occasionally and pick at the rock.  Plus I assume the rest of the surface area of the tank is also doing some nitrification.  I have never seen ammonia nor nitrite after the initial cycle, but have been wondering if I should add some more biomedia "on purpose".

3) Do you run any kind of setup that is for de-nitrification, or do you just count on plants to do it?

4) Do you use any chemical media like Purigen?

Basically, I am trying to decide between "low tech natural" and "super clean".

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Most of your technical questions are a bit over my head, but this is what I use on all the tanks:

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/internal-filters/1826-superfish-aqua-flow-50-8715897041747.html

I use 2 in each tank and some come with cartridges of carbon, those I remove the carbon and just cut a bit of bigger sponge to fill the whole space. It is super easy, no carbon or ceramic etc, just the sponge, nothing else. There is a cap on the bottom which I permanently remove so there is more area exposed to the water and then to clean all I do is turn the whole thing about 120 degrees, pull out the sponge through the open bottom, squeeze it in removed tank water, put the sponge back in through the bottom and twist back into place. There is no taking anything apart as the bottom cover has been left off and the whole maintenance takes about 60 seconds if not less????

Having the 2 per tank (30L) makes it easy when you get a new tank as well as you can remove the dirty sponge from one and replace it with the other ones new sponge etc and you have immediate BB in both tanks, and any way they are so cheap why not have 2?  It is ALL super cheap, super easy and super basic. I very rarely change the sponges either but again as there are 2 it won't upset anything if you change one sponge or if one of the filters breaks. Incidently I have had some 5+ years and not 1 has failed yet.

This is what I  have done/used for years, sorry I can't be of more help on the specific technical questions you pose but as you see we really are talking a basic system of muck sucked into sponge and that is it, and the spray bars aerate the tank when the water comes out the other end.

Simon

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry to hear that putting your shrimps with the betta didn't go well. My first betta couldn't have shrimps either as he would go after them. My current betta is ok though, he gets very close and watches them but nothing else? It would be best to have a filter if you can get one small enough, and if it is adjustable have it on low flow because it is a small tank, the shrimps are fine in flowing slow water,! Are you planning to keep them in this tank long-term or is this tank temporary until you decide where to go next with them? It is possible that some may die from injuries/stress/shock etc, but hopefully they will be ok. Simon
    • FancyBubbles
      On Saturday I wanted 8 ghost shrimp for my betta (he's in a 12 gallon). Mostly for extra cleaner, while also expecting the my betta trying to eat them. After one night, he ate out the eyeballs of 3 shrimp while the remaining 5 seemed to be attacked but not too damaging. Currently they're in a 2.5 gallon tank, no filter, gravel as substrate, 1 moss ball, 2 plastic plants, and a small castle for hiding. For food I put one algae wafer (in tank right now) and plan to put pieces of lettuce or cucumber after a couple of days. My question is, do ghost shrimp need filter? I currently have 5 of them in the 2.5 gallon tank. If they do I'm planning on to get a certain sponge filter that's safe for shrimp and small enough to not cause too much current.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Although losing the last killie must have been upsetting, it does now give you a clean working space for getting the parameters sorted and then you can look forward to getting some replacement killie - I love killie, even more than Betta but it is a bit too involved for me so I have avoided it so far! If your guppies are anything like mine (endlers), fin and tail marks will happen a lot and clear up almost as quickly, they are far too curious/nosey and go into every gap, under moss pads, squeeze behind the filters etc and so mine I have put down to them having just gone somewhere that they have got a small tear or caught on something - behind a filter or too close to a mesh pad etc? Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thanks for the heads up! I left the tank a month without shrimps even though they 'say' you can safely use  with shrimps immediately. I'm not all that happy with it in all honesty, I would use the JBL pro scape again in future as it just isn't going as well this time and although the plants are showing a bit of growth it all looks a bit drab and brown compared to Bertie (the betta) tank which is so lush and green and gets WOW from most visitors. The JBL required 50% water changes twice a week for the first 2 weeks but that extra work was well worth it for the better end result! Simon
    • Crabclaw
      Thx blue ridge for the advice, currently my problem is with the tds and hardness of the tank. The endler guppy no longer has a problem with her tail, and sadly the rocket killie has passed away. All of the other fish look fine, and I think the reason my killies have had it tough is due to the hardness being way too much for them. As there doesn’t seem to be a disease with them, my main focus is to get the hardness down before I lose my last 2 😢.