CRS food preference?

supermansteve32

I've been feeding my CRS seaweed wafers,  I've seen a lot of others using some kind of flakes that sink.  One person called them snowflakes but I cannot find them anywhere.  Also someone on here said to alternate between seaweed/algae wafers and protein every other day.  Can anyone recommend a product and perhaps an online store and what product would be best for my CRS. thanks

I decided that the route I was going to go was variety and thereby get all bases covered. The snowflake is made of soya husks I believe and many recommend it for 'holiday' feeding as it is supposed to not affect the water quality if left in the tank for long periods. Various companies make it, gladgarten and shrimp king (see below) and it is called snowflake as when you put it in the tank it breaks up into small white pieces.

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/shrimp-king/397-shrimp-king-snow-pops-snowflake-4001615060690.html?search_query=snowflake&results=8

It will be difficult to know what to recommend without knowing where in the world you are etc, but the above supplier sends worldwide.What sort of quantity of shrimp and size of tank do you have?

The ones I use are shrimp king 5 in 1 (I smash all 5 into small pieces and mix it together in a container, this has snowflake as 1), chi ebi which is for shrimplets mainly, Dennerle Nano gran (algae I think) and I feed a small amount of just 1 of these each day, alternating, then on saturday a shrimp lolly and sunday fresh ORGANIC spinach! I always use a lot less than the manufacturers recommend (ie the shrimp lolly was recommended for 30 shrimp but I had over 100 shrimps in the tank). It may sound an expensive route to go when you get started but it isn't actually as each food lasts longer this way and the shrimps get more variety. I also use Indian Almond leaves and other dry leaves (oak usually as they are abundant here).

I don't actually know (or believe) there is a BEST food but there are a lot of specific shrimp foods out there, just look on the above website, and as these have been made specifically for shrimp are probably all good!

Hope this helps but just ask if there are any specifics or questions on the above etc.

Simon

@supermansteve32, have a read of the Food and Nutrition forum.

I'm sure you will get lots of ideas there.

My best tip is ... don't stick to processed/bought foods. Vege scraps, flowers, leaves, prawns, frozen bloodworms. The list is huge. 

I only feed bought foods on lazy days. 

• Like 1